PDA

View Full Version : Swans to pounce on Aker

SWANSBEST
4th May 2003, 08:21 AM
Swans to pounce on Akermanis
EXCLUSIVE By RICHARD ZACHARIAH
04may03
IN what could become the greatest recruiting coup since Tony Lockett's Sydney transfer, Brisbane Lions champion Jason Akermanis may be a Swan next year.

Akermanis, 26, a dual premiership player with the Lions and a Brownlow medallist, is off contract at the end of this season. No attempt has been made to re-sign him.

Brisbane, bloated with expensive and sort-after talent, have admitted they have irresistible salary cap pressures which can only get worse if they win a third premiership.

And the Lions will not attempt to re-sign any of their out-of-contract players until they know the AFL's policy on player concessions or the salary cap this year.

Which means Akermanis is unsure of his immediate football future.

There is growing talk in Melbourne and Brisbane football circles about the Akermanis move, which is bound to be supported by the AFL in its bid to strengthen the Sydney presence.

However, the Swans are silent because they have most to gain and lose if the rumours are correct.

Lions chairman Graham Downie said yesterday he had heard the rumours.

"Yes, I've heard the rumours but they would be very silly if they are talking to Jason because of the penalties," Downie said.

The AFL has strict rules against player poaching outside of the trade weeks before the national draft.

The Swans would be fined heavily and have draft choices cancelled if it was discovered there had been a mid-season move on Akermanis.

That is why Swans chairman Richard Colless dismissed questions about Akermanis yesterday.

"Talk to the football people ? they handle that. They always have," Colless said. Football manager Andrew Ireland did not return my calls.

However, any Akermanis move to Sydney would involve Ireland, a former Brisbane Lions executive.

Ireland has known Akermanis since he was a 13-year-old at Mayne Football Club in Brisbane. They are friends.

Any move to secure Akermanis would mean the Swans would have to swap at least one early draft choice.

But I believe his superior skills would be enough to forgo Paul Roos' youth policy.

Swans fans will have the chance to appraise Akermanis next Sunday when Sydney host the Lions at the SCG.

He would be ideally suited to Sydney on and off the field.

His midfield dynamism, speed and goal-kicking would be perfect for the Swans, who lose Daryn Cresswell at the end of the season to retirement.

He would also complement Barry Hall perfectly.

Off the field his dyed-blond hair and outgoing, effusive character would suit Sydney far more than his adopted home town of Brisbane ? or the dour, no-frills regime of Lions coach Leigh Matthews.

Akermanis, a regular on Brisbane radio and a columnist with The Courier-Mail, has none of the media reticence that dogged Lockett or the hard-to-sell Hall.

He made few friends in Brisbane by coming out strongly against Wayne Carey, when the Kangaroos captain was discovered to be having an affair with his vice-captain's wife.

Akermanis said at the time he would not play in a team with Carey, leading Matthews to chide him in the press.

And Akermanis sees his future in the media.

There is no better city in which to follow that dream.

http://www.dailytelegraph.news.com.au/sport/0,5971,Sport^^TEXT^dailytelegraph,00.html

penga
4th May 2003, 10:12 AM
i never realised how important creswell is to our team until the last two rounds, he is KEY... with him gone we need a player like aker! maybe trade mathews and a second round pick for him

TheMase
4th May 2003, 10:34 AM
Don't bother.

Brisbane will want a few arms and legs for the guy. It isn't worth it.
Lets just build our own side from the ground up, rather than recruiting a side.

Lets find our OWN Aker type in the draft, thats what it is there for after all....

penga
4th May 2003, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by TheMase
Don't bother.

Brisbane will want a few arms and legs for the guy. It isn't worth it.
Lets just build our own side from the ground up, rather than recruiting a side.

Lets find our OWN Aker type in the draft, thats what it is there for after all....

i agree with u to an extent, there is so much risk involved in trying to 'blood an aker' if we did recruit aker i think that we could get 100 - 150 games out of him however u never know with the kids, that 2nd round pick might never end up with a game at all

TheMase
4th May 2003, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by penga
i agree with u to an extent, there is so much risk involved in trying to 'blood an aker' if we did recruit aker i think that we could get 100 - 150 games out of him however u never know with the kids, that 2nd round pick might never end up with a game at all

Sure.

But by drafting Aker it will cost us heaps. At least our first round pick, plus more.

Just not worth our while.

By drafting AKER we could risk losing the next Michael Voss and Wayne Carey with 2 of the picks we give up.

Just not worth it.

Youth is the way.

Mike_B
4th May 2003, 12:11 PM
I don't see how Aker will replace Cressa, Black is more that type of player - in and under at the packs, winning the clearances and so on. Aker is more the player that receives the ball from those contests and does something with it. Soooo, if you're looking for a replacement for Cressa, IMHO, Aker ISN'T him.

penga
4th May 2003, 12:37 PM
i have to admit i dont see that much of aker, however what i do see of him he appears to be the player who does throw himself hard at the ball and buries into the packs when need be, ie when need be as black and co will often get the ball from the bottom but when they arent around he will bury under

midaro
4th May 2003, 01:25 PM
Too old - he would be 27 before he ever played for us. Unlikely to play in a swans premiership, but I'm a pessimist.

robbieando
4th May 2003, 01:36 PM
Get him in the Pre Season Draft I say. I rather a 12 year player to one who will last around 6

NMWBloods
4th May 2003, 02:14 PM
He'd probably last around another 4-5 years. I hope we are a premiership contender in that time and he could be the difference.

penga
4th May 2003, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by robbieando
Get him in the Pre Season Draft I say. I rather a 12 year player to one who will last around 6

i really like that idea actually coz we'd be the only ones available to take him due to his large salary...

i cant remember, but can u cut players between the draft and preseason draft? ie if it came clear that aker was available in the preseason clubs might cut players to fit him in the cap

i can see him thriving here

Charlie
4th May 2003, 09:28 PM
Ho hum.

Would cost us bucketloads... I could see Ben Fixter, Mark Powell and a first round pick dissappearing in a flash.

I don't trust Aker... he could decide to retire at 28 and then what?

CureTheSane
4th May 2003, 09:28 PM
OK, here's what he needs to do.

Arrange a deal with the Swans, but be prepared to go elsewhere.

Agree with the Swans to offer him for a round 2 swap - no negotiations.

If they don't take the deal he'll enter the draft.

That wasy he comes to the Swans (hopefully) and keeps his future side as strong as possible...

OK, I'm dreaming :lol

robbieando
4th May 2003, 09:31 PM
Look frankly we don't need to go out and buy players, we need to devolpe from within. Anyway aren't we linked to big name out of contract players at this time every year???

Roscoe
4th May 2003, 10:24 PM
Swap Akermanis for Brad Seymour ?

Lethal likes "Snapper" doesn't he ?

They are both around the same age.

Fair deal I'd say, ha ! ha!

barry
4th May 2003, 11:02 PM
We should go after Aker if, and only if:
1) We finish top 5 this year. Meaning he could lift us up to a flag in the next 2-3.
2) We find a suitable full back (or general back line combination) that wont be exposed by the big teams this year.

Two big ifs I know.

Red
5th May 2003, 10:44 AM
Don't bother.

We already have... Adam Schneider. And ours is a lot better looking too.

penga
5th May 2003, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by Red
We already have... Adam Schneider. And ours is a lot better looking too.

thats all fine and dandy but if we had schneider AND aker, that would equal a lethal combo

Cheer Cheer
5th May 2003, 02:39 PM
Why aker, why not schnieder and mcviegh or schnieder and okeefe for example. He is going to be 27 next year. And as charlie said he is to unpredictable, more than likely to pack his bags and leave after a year.
Lets develop from within, were not trying to recruit for a premiership, we are rebuilding for one, its more than likely he wont even be around when we are back at the top. Id rather have a mcviegh or okeefe in there.

penga
5th May 2003, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by Cheer Cheer
Why aker, why not schnieder and mcviegh or schnieder and okeefe for example. He is going to be 27 next year. And as charlie said he is to unpredictable, more than likely to pack his bags and leave after a year.
Lets develop from within, were not trying to recruit for a premiership, we are rebuilding for one, its more than likely he wont even be around when we are back at the top. Id rather have a mcviegh or okeefe in there.

fair call, i wanna see o'keefe out there for sure!!!

as u mightve guessed i really like aker and i think he could offer a lot to the club but i can see him doing something random like retiring at 28 though :D i enjoy his zest for a laugh... id like him to see him in R&W! but if he came available in the preseason draft are u saying that we shouldnt draft him at all???

a free agent setup in this case would benefit us hugely

desredandwhite
5th May 2003, 03:22 PM
That article is a complete beat-up. Really tried to push the angle that Akermanis is destined to switched to sydney when there is actually no chance the parties have even CONSIDERED discussing it.

Not worth spending too much time thinking about until the end of the season.

Bas
5th May 2003, 10:06 PM
It's round 6. Anyone believing trade rumours at this time of the year would probably believe in the easter bunny.

However, as the end of the year approaches, Aker's will probably be squeezed out by Brisbane.

He would be great to have but at what price? The only advantage we have is that Ireland would probably negotiate a win win situation for both sides. I'm sure we won't lose in this deal - if this was to eventuate.

Dpw
5th May 2003, 10:13 PM
Sure.

But by drafting Aker it will cost us heaps. At least our first round pick, plus more.

Just not worth our while.

By drafting AKER we could risk losing the next Michael Voss and Wayne Carey with 2 of the picks we give up.

Just not worth it.

Youth is the way.

Mase, you are gambling alot on the draft a first round pick is not the be all. Iam not saying we should try and draft aker but atleast you know what you are getting. Just look at the first rounders on our list hardly inspiring apart from a few of course.

Personaly if we get him iam happy if not and we keep a first choice happy

footyhead
6th May 2003, 01:14 PM
When will the swans ever learn ?
you can't rebuild a team by buying established players, you have to develop them from a young age. Established players only work as a top up to an already good team. IE Carey

sharp9
6th May 2003, 03:37 PM
This article is a hoax isn't it?

Nicely written, I'll admit - but it doesn't appear on any news site.

I'm in the "pre-season draft" camp btw., unless we finish top four and need an instant replacement for Creswell in order to push for a flag immediately (2004) a la Adelaide's decision to take Carey.

Second round pick plus 50 game player.