PDA

View Full Version : Brett Kirk

Reggi
4th May 2003, 04:44 PM
One of the truly great performance by a Sydney player - Buckley came into the game late - had 31 vs 19 - but Kirk was creative for us - presented for an option all game, kept pressure on Buckley to reduce his effectiveness.

Could the Captain be going to another level - impressive game.

And poor old Jude Bolton having a hard tag put on him by a Brownlow medalist!

Cheer Cheer
4th May 2003, 04:51 PM
I wouldnt call it one of the great performances by a sydney player by a long way, however there is no denying that kirk has stepped up this year and is in our top 5 players so far this season. Good on him. Loved his performances so far this year. I actually thought his tagging jobs on previous opponents v fremantle and adelaide were more impressive, even though he was less effective, he shut them right out - and i mean right out.

Reggi
4th May 2003, 04:57 PM
Not many times will you see Buckley 'contained' like that - ever seen Buckley play frustrated before?

Until half way through the third I would have said Kirk was beating him.

Top performance on a very good player IMO

Roscoe
4th May 2003, 05:22 PM
Buckley's possessions didn't hurt us, he picked up a lot of kicks in the back half.

Buckley kills you when he comes through the centre and delivers
to players like Rocca, Tarrant and Didak inside 50.

Kirk did a great job - I think maybe he should take Voss or Black, Maybe akermanis has too much speed for him and crouch ( our quickest) is the best option.

Kirk is a an unsung hero

Nico
4th May 2003, 08:37 PM
Kirk played probably his best game yet. 19 possessions as a tagger against a player who is always going to get 25-30 posessions a game is pretty bloody good, and there was plenty of positive possessions in the 19.

He really exposed Buckley's lack of defensive skills in the 3rd quarter when he backed himself, got miles from Buckley and had a genuine influence on a couple of goals. His centre blocking work was very good.

If only he could kick with more penetration, and not have those occasional "pussy" little kicks to nowhere. Like last year he seems to get better as the season progresses.

Doctor J.
4th May 2003, 10:46 PM
I must say Kirk made me eat my words.

Some years ago (pre RWOL) I said that Kirk should have been delisted. Back then I felt he just didn't have it. His past 10 or so games have really changed the way I think about him.
Kicks still lack penetration though.

Top game on Buckley, first time I have seen Buckley frustrated for most of the game.

bomber-princess
5th May 2003, 04:20 PM
Brett Kirk has been having a great year!!! He played really well on such a hard opponent, in Bucks!!

jude_boltons_babe
5th May 2003, 04:24 PM
brett kirk rules hes playing so well

motorace_182
5th May 2003, 06:51 PM
Most of Buckleys possessions were in the backline or while being tackled by kirk. He ran riot over him. It seemed as tho Nathan forgot that when you are tagged by someone you have to make sure THEY dont get the footy as well. Kirk has awesome fitness as well, he kept up with one of the fittest in the league for the majority of 4 quaters