PDA

View Full Version : Fitzgerald goes again

floppinab
6th May 2003, 03:44 PM
We all think Heath James has had a hard time but check this out :

http://www.theadvertiser.news.com.au/footy03/story_page/0,8747,6373349%255E21546,00.html

I'll post the full article here :

Shattered Fitzy: It was the loudest crack
By DOUG ROBERTSON
03may03

RYAN Fitzgerald is a giant in height and in character. Even amid personal trauma he's focused on others.

The jovial but jinxed 199cm forward is unlikely to again play football at the dizzy levels to which he has become accustomed. Yet amid the trauma of facing his third knee reconstruction, Fitzy is with his Panther mates at Noarlunga today, trying to entice a big effort against Central.

Just five days ago Fitzgerald, 26, thought he would soon pull on the Panthers jumper again but a twist of his right knee at almost walking pace at training shattered the dream.

"I cried a bit when it happened. It was the loudest crack I heard from the three of them (injuries)," the former Sydney and Adelaide forward said.

"It's so disappointing. Footy and South Adelaide are the only loves I've got and when you're told you can't play for another year or so it brings you down a lot. I'm pretty shattered."

Fitzy won't say it's over but he justifiably feels cheated. In his first league game for South in 1998 he took a dozen marks, mostly over Chad Cornes, who has become a sensation with the Power. But for the knee injuries, reconstructions on both shoulders, a hernia and several broken fingers, Fitzy might also have been an AFL powerhouse.

"The doctors think it's a bit of a freak thing," he said. "The only conclusion I can make is it's freak accidents. Probably with my physique ? my legs are quite thin ? I'm more prone to doing my knees. But when it comes down to it, it still involves a lot of bad luck, I think."

It took a few days for Fitzgerald's irrepressible humour to resurface and he will have surgery after a month overseas to gather his thoughts. He has been offered a role with Channel 10 but it's clear the big man with the infectious smile is doing it tough. The chance to be part of a South revival helped him pick up the pieces after being cut by the Crows last year.

"One of the most disappointing things is we've (South) got the team to do it and I'm not going to be a part of it," he said.

NMWBloods
6th May 2003, 03:57 PM
Poor bastard. And imagine how bad he'll be when he's in his 60s!! Ouch! :frown :eek:

jude_boltons_babe
10th May 2003, 12:04 AM
poor ryan its so unfair that this keeps happening hes such a good player when hes injury free

footyhead
11th May 2003, 08:52 PM
Fitzy I'm so sorry to hear of your continuing problems. Your a great guy. I will never forget your debute at telstra dome, you could have been anything.
Your spirit and talent will be remeberd in Sydney for a long long time.

penga
13th May 2003, 12:58 PM
poor bastard

whats his tax now???

2 shoulders
3 knees

???

jude_boltons_babe
13th May 2003, 01:15 PM
poor ryan has hurt his knee again and will have to have a knee recontruction once again ill keep you informed

bomber-princess
14th May 2003, 03:06 PM
that sucks, a great young player, in ryan, got injured again. the poor guy has been thru so much already, he really deserves a break.