PDA

View Full Version : Question about stats

sharp9
6th May 2003, 03:58 PM
Forgive my ignorance, but could someone clarify for me what constitutes a possession, for stat purposes?

Does a handball have to hit it's mark? Or if it gains 20 metres up the line and then goes into touch is this considered not handball? If you handball straight to the opposition, is that a handball stat and a clanger stat?

Is a kick to a one on one where the opponent takes a mark considered a clanger?

If you get tackled then am I right in thinking you haven't had a possession? In that case then, a lot of valuble work on the bottom of packs would n ot be reflected at all in the stats - unless they get listed as hard ball gets, I suppose.

If you tackle a player pretty well (stop his momentum make him turn around and give a hospital hand pass) but he still gets the ball away, is this not considered a tackle?

In order to be a clearance, does the ball have to get away from the pack successfully to a team mate, or just away from the pack, or just to another team mate still in the pack?

In order to be a hitout is the only requirement that you have had the most influence on the initial tap?

Thanks in Advance for any input

TheMase
6th May 2003, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by sharp9
Forgive my ignorance, but could someone clarify for me what constitutes a possession, for stat purposes?

Does a handball have to hit it's mark? Or if it gains 20 metres up the line and then goes into touch is this considered not handball? If you handball straight to the opposition, is that a handball stat and a clanger stat?

Is a kick to a one on one where the opponent takes a mark considered a clanger?

If you get tackled then am I right in thinking you haven't had a possession? In that case then, a lot of valuble work on the bottom of packs would n ot be reflected at all in the stats - unless they get listed as hard ball gets, I suppose.

If you tackle a player pretty well (stop his momentum make him turn around and give a hospital hand pass) but he still gets the ball away, is this not considered a tackle?

In order to be a clearance, does the ball have to get away from the pack successfully to a team mate, or just away from the pack, or just to another team mate still in the pack?

In order to be a hitout is the only requirement that you have had the most influence on the initial tap?

Thanks in Advance for any input
A clanger is generally an unforced error as I understand it. So basically say Matthews gets the ball, kicks it up the ground and goes straight to an opposition player. That is a clanger.

pippa
6th May 2003, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by TheMase
A clanger is generally an unforced error as I understand it. So basically say Matthews gets the ball, kicks it up the ground and goes straight to an opposition player. That is a clanger.

I understand that but is it still classed as kick in the stats?:confused:

TheMase
6th May 2003, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by pippa
I understand that but is it still classed as kick in the stats?:confused:
Yes

pippa
6th May 2003, 07:46 PM
Thanks but itseems like you should add the total kicks then subtract the clangers and come out with a more realistic figure, some players regularly get a large number of kick and the paper we get doesnt show the clangers, so it gives you an unrealistic view of what has happened. Mase can you see my question in the RWO chat and answer that also.

ta

j s
6th May 2003, 09:05 PM
You also must remember that tweedledum and tweedledee (also known as Schwatta and Cressa) used to get 3-4 possies each every time one of them got the ball (by way of a few quick handballs back and forth)

Stats CAN be deceptive and there are other stats than possies that are equally (and sometime more so - would you measure Plugger or Dunkley on possessions?) important