PDA

View Full Version : Oh no! Are our finals all to be played on Fridays?

Dave
31st August 2005, 03:36 PM
Going by the AFL fixture it looks like it.:eek:

http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=fullfixture

Well that's ******ed me over.

I'll be on the road for the last three Fridays of Sept.:frown
So much for getting to see the games live or even live on telly.

Why can't we have then as Sat. day and night games or Sat and Sun games?

Stupid @@@@@@@en fixture.

Go Swannies
31st August 2005, 03:41 PM
No - we are the 2nd QF (just playing first). Anyway, as the winner of this one - we play the PF and GF on Saturdays

If we lost this week we'd play Saturday night in Sydney, then Friday night away, then the GF.

j s
31st August 2005, 03:48 PM
Venue and time not yet confirmedmeans exactly that!

The days and times after week 1 a re purely nominal at this stage.

In other articles the indications are that both PF's will be on Saturday (afternoon / night) so that neither team gets a significant advantage

Dave
31st August 2005, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by Go Swannies
No - we are the 2nd QF (just playing first). Anyway, as the winner of this one - we play the PF and GF on Saturdays

If we lost this week we'd play Saturday night in Sydney, then Friday night away, then the GF.

Whew! That's alright then.
Thanks for that.:D

It would have really undone some (what I thought was) careful planning!

This site can really be a great panacea sometimes!;)

Mike_B
31st August 2005, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by j s
In other articles the indications are that both PF's will be on Saturday (afternoon / night) so that neither team gets a significant advantage

One article indicated that Ch 10 was pushing for a Fri night/Sat night PF weekend, but the AFL was this year going to put the interests of the game ahead of TV ratings, unlike last year.

I would imagine that a PF in Perth would be played in the afternoon (to allow for more equal time in recovery, travel home etc), a PF in Sydney would be Sat night (with equality of recovery being a smaller issue, they could look to benefit from increased TV ratings) while PFs in Adelaide/Melb could be either afternoon on evening, depending on where the other one is to be played.

NMWBloods
31st August 2005, 04:40 PM
I hate night finals.

Nothing like September footy during the day - gleaming red football, sun shining, bright green grass.

Night games have far less atmosphere - they could be any time of the year.

Snowy
31st August 2005, 04:48 PM
Demetriou said something about Sydney getting an 8 day break before their next final should they need it. So I suppose it sounds like a Saturday final.

j s
31st August 2005, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by Snowy
Demetriou said something about Sydney getting an 8 day break before their next final should they need it. So I suppose it sounds like a Saturday final. I would prefer a 15 day break :)

JF_Bay22_SCG
31st August 2005, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by NMWBloods
I hate night finals.

Nothing like September footy during the day - gleaming red football, sun shining, bright green grass.

Night games have far less atmosphere - they could be any time of the year.

There is nothing like a night final in Sydney. It is a tradition that started in 1996 and has still gone on strong. The only night final which didn't have that finals-type excitement was the one against the Eagles in the rain last year.

I just hate Friday night finals. Even if it is Sydney, I have to come from work all bothered and stressed. If it is away from home, I'm simply not able to get there. There have been 2 Friday night finals in the last 2 seasons. I have been at neither, after having been at basically every other game all season.

Last year I was ropable. This year I just accept it as a part of life I guess.

JF

Diego
31st August 2005, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by JF_Bay22_SCG
There is nothing like a night final in Sydney. It is a tradition that started in 1996 and has still gone on strong. The only night final which didn't have that finals-type excitement was the one against the Eagles in the rain last year.

I just hate Friday night finals. Even if it is Sydney, I have to come from work all bothered and stressed. If it is away from home, I'm simply not able to get there. There have been 2 Friday night finals in the last 2 seasons. I have been at neither, after having been at basically every other game all season.

Last year I was ropable. This year I just accept it as a part of life I guess.

JF

The 2003 game against the lions was one of the best atmospheres if not the best atmosphere i have been in in Sydney. I will never forget the roar after NOG scored that goal before 3qrt time.

It seems that the warm sun in Sydney makes people a bit too relaxed during the day and the atmosphere is then relaxed. Where in Melbourne u need to scream and carry on too keep yourself warm!

Night games are good in Sydney.

j s
31st August 2005, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by Diego
The 2003 game against the lions was one of the best atmospheres if not the best atmosphere i have been in in Sydney.
Nothing so far beats the two 96 home finals - especially the PF - the noise was just incredible.

Mike_B
31st August 2005, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by JF_Bay22_SCG
There have been 2 Friday night finals in the last 2 seasons.

Not too sure when the 2nd one was, our finals have been as follows the past 2 years:

2003 QF v Port - Sunday afternoon
2003 PF v Lions - Saturday night
2004 EF v WCE - Saturday night
2004 SF v St K - Friday night

Slick Swans
31st August 2005, 10:21 PM
is anyone else a bit peaved that we don't play a friday night game all year, then get thrown into one in the finals?

Xie Shan
31st August 2005, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by Mike_B
Not too sure when the 2nd one was

This Friday, maybe? ;)

Mike_B
31st August 2005, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by sydfan83
This Friday, maybe? ;)

Now where's that sheepish grin emoticon when you need it???

SwansBloke
1st September 2005, 04:20 AM
YES!

This occurred to me too

All of a sudden we're good enough for a Friday night game... Wonder if Eddie at ch 9 had anything to do with it

Thunder Shaker
1st September 2005, 10:53 AM
Leaving aside personal considerations, this Friday night final isn't so bad. We're playing after a six-day break against an opponent with the same break. If we lose, we then get an eight-day break before a home final against an opponent with one days' less rest. If we win, we get a 15-day break.

GoSouth33
1st September 2005, 10:04 PM
I've looked at the draw on the AFL site and this is my take on the next few weeks:-

Lose this Friday night and we play either Geelong or Melbourne in Sydney on Saturday 10 September (Semi final 2)
If we win there we have to play either Adelaide or Saints on Friday 16 September (Preliminary Final 1)

Win this Friday night and we play either Adelaide, Saints, Kangaroos or Port in Sydney on Saturday 17 September (Preliminary final 2)

No prizes for guessing the preferred way into the G/F! Whilst we get a second chance you really don't want to have to use it.

Mike_B
1st September 2005, 10:36 PM
I'm of the understanding that Ch 10 want the PFs to be played Fri night/Sat night, but after the mess the AFL made by putting ratings first, they will play the PFs on Sat afternoon and Sat night. Which basically means we will be playing Sat night if we make it to the PF (Sydney Sat night is almost certain, while if they're serious about travel and recovery etc, a game in Perth on Sat night would be result in a huge unevenness for those teams).