PDA

View Full Version : Too many frees

dimelb
3rd September 2005, 10:16 AM
Yes, last night's umpiring was abysmal.
But why are we giving away so many frees EVERY game? It was discussed in an earlier thread but it's happened again; nothing has changed and it has come back to bite us on the bum.
The fiasco last night shouldn't stop us from asking what contribution we are making to the situation. We are not a foul team, we play archetypal hard but fair footy, so why is this happening week in week out?

anne
3rd September 2005, 10:24 AM
Because they hate us - but I don't know why. May all have something to do with the jealousy that the rest of Australia feels towards Sydney being the number one city in Australia. Not saying I agree but it could be a contributing factor.

connolly
3rd September 2005, 10:36 AM
Their senior group, the white cane brigade, are umpiring according to pre-concieved opinions about boring footy etc etc. The umpiring now has a crisis of credibility because decisions are made on the basis of what is pre-concieved rather than seen. And of course any organization suffering credibility crisis goes into the bunker and strangles scrutiny. There needs to a genuinely independent umpiring development and review body seperate from the AFL management, funded by a % levy on revenues. Until we get a structurally seperate management this disgraceful situation will continue. The umpires are implementing the senior AFL management doctrines re boring and attractive football. Umpires cannot be an arm of AFL management

BonBon
3rd September 2005, 12:13 PM
We were crucified. WCE had the first 6 frees.

satchmopugdog
3rd September 2005, 12:24 PM
I don't think of Sydney as the no.1 city. That never enters my consciousness. That strikes me as a really funny way to think.It is really hard for me to think that would influence people's thinking about a game.

NMWBloods
3rd September 2005, 01:02 PM
We give away too many frees because we are untidy or reckless.

The one I clearly remember (and there were plenty more) was in the second quarter in the WC forward line. Matera was shepherding Fletcher who was about to have a shot, but two Swans corralled him and he dropped the ball and it was in dispute. However, while trying to get around Matera, J Bolton ran into him and grabbed him around the head. Clear free to Matera directly in front (which he missed fortunately). This is the sort of thing we do too much of.

Xie Shan
3rd September 2005, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by NMWBloods

I don't have a problem so much with the frees we give away for being untidy and reckless (apart from the soft ones, and the ones that are blatantly wrong - and there are a few too many of those) - it just seems like opposition defenders get away with so much more playing on Hall and Co than our defenders can! Yes, even tripping. :mad:

Sanecow
3rd September 2005, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by NMWBloods

I might concede that our undersized backline tends to give away frees but our ruckmen?!?! BS.

NMWBloods
3rd September 2005, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by Sanecow
I might concede that our undersized backline tends to give away frees but our ruckmen?!?! BS.
Who knows with ruck contests - they just pluck free kicks from their a$$. However, one problem with Jolly is he tends to push in the face and throat - easy for an umpire to hang his hat on that.