PDA

View Full Version : Swans' Injuries

midaro
12th September 2005, 06:21 PM
Where are we at?
The most recent Injury List that I can find is from Round 19:
http://sydneyswans.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=injurylist

Who are we worried about? Ablett? Crouch? Williams?

Is BoltonJ under an injury cloud?
He's been playing forward a bit, and if not injured, he seems to have had an easily discernable form slump, since he missed rounds 12 and 13.
Check it out: http://stats.rleague.com/afl/stats/players/J/Jude_Bolton.html

gossipcom
12th September 2005, 06:28 PM
Willo's less than a 50-50 chance, well that was according to yesterday - while I saw yesterday (can't remember where) Crouch would also be tested for his shoulder.

lwoggardner
12th September 2005, 07:26 PM
Crouch's collarbone would need to be poking through his jumper before he wouldn't play.

What's he up to... 180 straight games?

floppinab
12th September 2005, 07:30 PM
Williams would be the only one with a question mark. Given the weather forecast they'll probably bring in Moore. Bevan was roundly criticised but he actually had a couple of key touches in the last q. I'd keep him in.

swans_premiers
12th September 2005, 07:31 PM
why does Andrew Ericksen have 5 weeks and not season next to his name?

sydneyswans1989
12th September 2005, 07:39 PM
Williams & Crouch should be right to play according to a report by Dr.Peter Larkins in Todays Melbourne Herald Sun.

Snowy
12th September 2005, 07:44 PM
I thought Bevan was shocking.

ItsAllGoodes
12th September 2005, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by swans_premiers
why does Andrew Ericksen have 5 weeks and not season next to his name?

As someone else pointed out that was the injury list after Round 19. Given a 5 week injury Andrew may have been back for the Reserves Grand Final. I think thats doubtful, but it would explain why it wasnt listed as an automatic season ending injury

Tuesday
12th September 2005, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by Snowy
I thought Bevan was shocking.

Had a total barry!
Bring back Vogels!

Reggi
12th September 2005, 08:17 PM
Here's hoping they do anything to get right this week. Sleep in their skins (Crouchy of course in his Line Breaks) whatever.

Just recover as best as possible for the weekend.

That is the tough thing coming up against a side fresh from a week off

dimelb
12th September 2005, 10:23 PM
Has Willo got a corky or is it something more ominous? I don't like the way he was on and off the field and have vivid memories of sitting freezing up in the horrible old Olympic stand last year and watching Willo hopping around on crutches while we got trounced.
This is going to be another hard one with lots of running and chasing - no place for anyone with a suss leg. Rest him for next Saturday week and bring back Vogels.

Rizzo
12th September 2005, 10:40 PM
The Saints are a tall side. Vogels & Moore if Willo doesn't get up

midaro
12th September 2005, 10:45 PM
We're not going to bring in Vogels, if it's raining/hailing.
Bevan will hold his spot.
Moore, Malceski or McVeigh will get the call up if Williams etal., don't come up.

Nico
12th September 2005, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by floppinab
Williams would be the only one with a question mark. Given the weather forecast they'll probably bring in Moore. Bevan was roundly criticised but he actually had a couple of key touches in the last q. I'd keep him in.

I have watched the last Q about 6 times. I cannot see where Bevan had an effective stat. He had a kick over his shoulder that a Geelong player marked, dropped a sitter of a mark and got outmarked by Milburn. He had no idea where the footy was.

Bevan has no idea and has gone backwards at a 100 miles an hour. I have been reliably informed that his reserves form has been woeful. So how does he get a game? He is no good.

Anyone in for him is an improvement.

NMWBloods
12th September 2005, 11:04 PM
I didn't see a single thing Bevan did that would be considered useful.

cruiser
12th September 2005, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by Nico
I have watched the last Q about 6 times. I cannot see where Bevan had an effective stat. He had a kick over his shoulder that a Geelong player marked, dropped a sitter of a mark and got outmarked by Milburn. He had no idea where the footy was.

Bevan has no idea and has gone backwards at a 100 miles an hour. I have been reliably informed that his reserves form has been woeful. So how does he get a game? He is no good.

Its a shame that he has gone so far backwards in his development.

Legs Akimbo
12th September 2005, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by cruiser
Its a shame that he has gone so far backwards in his development.

Is it possible to go backwards in one's development? Is that regression?

BonBon
12th September 2005, 11:50 PM
We've been pretty lucky with our injuries this year.

Mark
12th September 2005, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by BonBon
We've been pretty lucky with our injuries this year.

Speak for yourself, i had a nasty torsion earlier in the year !

BonBon
12th September 2005, 11:59 PM
I don't know what it's like to suffer a big injury. I have never sprained, broken, fractured or rolled any part of my body. I only suffer asthma and dislocated arms. I can put on a show for you all and show you cool tricks with my arms. Hah.

NMWBloods
13th September 2005, 12:02 AM
I used to know a girl like that... a bit older than you though...

Mark
13th September 2005, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by NMWBloods
I used to know a girl like that... a bit older than you though...

err Bloods, hmm, cough

NMWBloods
13th September 2005, 12:08 AM
What...? She just had bad asthma that's all...

Mark
13th September 2005, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by NMWBloods
What...? She just had bad asthma that's all...

Thats my point, salbutamol is not a laughing matter !!

Tuesday
13th September 2005, 02:25 AM
Originally posted by Legs Akimbo
Is it possible to go backwards in one's development? Is that regression?

Perhaps it's called the Canberra League? :p

I saw Bevan do one thing that could be considered a positive... cannot remember what it was though. :o

He's played the majority of the season in the Ressies, and he was the weakest link last weekend. I do not mean that vindictively, it's purely an observation. His game was sub-AFL-standard.

But would Roosy risk selecting a player who would be in the same situation as Bevo was this week? Someone who is still lacking recent experience in the seniors? Would he choose someone like Eski, or hedge his bets on Bevo's return to form in his second senior game? Oh, the decisions!

cressakel
13th September 2005, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by midaro
We're not going to bring in Vogels, if it's raining/hailing.
Bevan will hold his spot.
Moore, Malceski or McVeigh will get the call up if Williams etal., don't come up.

Malceski for sure, blind freddy can see that the kid has class and polish when disposing of the ball.

Malceski's 8-10 possessions in ground time of only 35-55mins max is worth twice as much as McVeigh, Moore or Bevan's similar possessions and ground time.....

The only reason Malceski hasn't played more often this year is Roosy, the match committee and the assistant coaches believe in easing players into their first year of senior year. The boy is going to be a very good player for the Swannies.

mariachi
13th September 2005, 11:41 AM
bevan hasn't yet got the nous to play at top level - he's a couple of seasons under cooked.

I agree - bring back Graino!! (that'd be vogels)

Rizzo
13th September 2005, 12:03 PM
On second thoughts Malceski has probably shown more then Moore (love the pun) in the seniors.

Jeffers1984
13th September 2005, 12:25 PM
Apparently on SEN they said that Williams will not play this Friday.

Ruck'n'Roll
13th September 2005, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by cressakel
The only reason Malceski hasn't played more often this year is Roosy, the match committee and the assistant coaches believe in easing players into their first year of senior year.
What tosh, Dempster's played almost all this year, Bevan played all last year and Schneider all the year before?
Malceski it a prospect but his body doesn't exactly scream "ready for final football" does it?

Tuesday
13th September 2005, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by mariachi
I agree - bring back Graino!! (that'd be vogels)

:confused: Have I missed something? Graino?

Schneiderman
13th September 2005, 12:40 PM
Come on people. We are not comparing apples with apples here:

Bevan - tough tackling and running player. Has one full season's experience and finals experience. Played very well in the EF last year. Disposal leaves a lot to be desired, especially when under pressure, and gives away far too many frees for ITB and HTB. Can run through the lines, but only successful occassionally. Is definately now capable of a run-with role, and is well on the path of becoming a decent tagger.

Moore - tough nuggety player, with reasonable disposal. Tackles well and is very strong for his size. Very young, very green, yet to get enough game time to prove he can handle the pressure of must win games. Has no real role decided for him yet, and is far too inexperienced for a true tagging role. Has low fitness level, and can only be used sparingly off the bench.

Vogels - strong tall player. Good mark overhead, very good disposal and mature footy intellect. Has clearly benefitted from three years in VFL/bush league. Has played the most games of the three this year, including a tough tight final at Subiaco. A little suspect in the defensive side, although has occassionally done very well defensively when required. Of the three, definately the most reliable under pressure, but a totally different body size.

So who to pick? We have a choice of two nuggety tackling types, or one marking option. Naturally the weather has a lot to do with it, but with such an undermanned Saints defence, Roos will be tempted to play one more tall to stretch them. Already the Melbourne media is trying to paint the Swans forward line as short, so Vogels would throw in an extra spanner.

My preference is Vogels, unless it is pissing down Thur/Fri at the G. More experience and better footy brain. Eski and Moore are far too green for such a crunch match, and Bevo did not look up to the mark on Fri (probably due to lack of game time this year). Only other option is Saddington, and its not a bad tall option either.

cressakel
13th September 2005, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by Ruckman
What tosh, Dempster's played almost all this year, Bevan played all last year and Schneider all the year before?
Malceski it a prospect but his body doesn't exactly scream "ready for final football" does it?

True, True - but those players mentioned are the exception rather than the rule. And let's not forget that Malceski has come back from a knee reco this season.....

Dempster has been Bevan like all year, but somehow never gets dropped - go figure.....

mariachi
13th September 2005, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by Tuesday
:confused: Have I missed something? Graino?

Obscure perhaps. Vogels - the original multigrain bread - hence Graino. It does roll nicely off the tongue...

mariachi
13th September 2005, 01:06 PM
Dempster has been Bevan like all year, but somehow never gets dropped - go figure.....

Different roles. At least Dempster sticks with his man, and his disposal is smarter and more accurate than Bevan's with far fewer clangers. He's provided some excellent kicks into forward 50 this year. He reminds me of Tiberius from a few years ago - sticks his man, plays the percentage and uses his head. A quiet achiever

(Tiberius is the magnificent Brett Kirk - I'm new to the forum and using my own nicknames for some of the guys - comes from James T Kirk for those of you with a trekkie heritage)

Plugger46
13th September 2005, 01:28 PM

I agree that he was pretty ordinary. But you can't tell me that mark was a 'sitter'. Have you got any idea of the courage he showed running back with the flight of the ball? Mathews would have just sat and waited. Yeah he dropped the mark, but it was gutsy.

Tuesday
13th September 2005, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by mariachi
Obscure perhaps. Vogels - the original multigrain bread - hence Graino. It does roll nicely off the tongue...

:o eh.
We have yet to bestow a decent nickname upon him, though we are patient and know that something will emerge soon enough.

Welcome to the Official Luke Vogels Bandwagon, Mariachi!

Btw, Dempster has been dropped this year, but has put in a solid effort since returning to the seniors. I have been surprised at just how calm and mature he is as a player, especially considering this is his debut season.

And PS: Voges can play defensively. Against Wet Toast the other day, he ranked third in tackles and only saw 25 mins game time. Plus he won the Hampden League's B&F last year as a CHB. He's tall and versatile: The perfect option for selection this week, IMHO. Roosy should really start using him in combination with Hall, not simply as a substitute.

Schneiderman
13th September 2005, 01:47 PM
And PS: Voges can play defensively. Against Wet Toast the other day, he ranked third in tackles and only saw 25 mins game time. Plus he won the Hampden League's B&F last year as a CHB.

The trump card down back? Or the extra tall up forward?

I certainly agree he should be in for this week.

barry
13th September 2005, 01:52 PM

And PS: Voges can play defensively. Against Wet Toast the other day, he ranked third in tackles and only saw 25 mins game time. Plus he won the Hampden League's B&F last year as a CHB. He's tall and versatile: The perfect option for selection this week, IMHO. Roosy should really start using him in combination with Hall, not simply as a substitute.

The wrong sort of stats for a forward. Means he's chasing tail.

Pick Vogels as a forward, if we need another forward. But if we need a tall defender, it would be a huge risk to put his first AFL game in defense against Reiwoldt or Gehrig. Schauble would be a better option.

IMO, since its wet, the only change required is Out: Bevan, In: Moore. If Willo's out. then bring in Malceski or McVeigh.

Ruck'n'Roll
13th September 2005, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by barry

Er barry, how can I say this that may possibly not be the best way of phrasing things.

Go Swannies
13th September 2005, 02:15 PM

That didn't seem to affect Wayne Carey.

Sanecow
13th September 2005, 02:17 PM
As far as questionable footy vernacular goes, "chasing tail" is no worse than "double teaming".

ScottH
13th September 2005, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by Sanecow
As far as questionable footy vernacular goes, "chasing tail" is no worse than "double teaming". Milne and Montagna??

Sanecow
13th September 2005, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by ScottH
Milne and Montagna??

Dude, please, I'm eating.

Ruck'n'Roll
13th September 2005, 02:22 PM
As far as questionable footy vernacular goes, "chasing tail" is no worse than "double teaming".

Mrs Ruckman goes into hysterics whenever any player is named as suffering a groin strain.

Speaking of which I can not believe Fraser Gehrig is still playing, did anyone else see the splits he did?

I wonder whether Roosy will send someone to test-out the injury?

Ruck'n'Roll
13th September 2005, 02:23 PM
Sorry cow, have you hurled yet

ScottH
13th September 2005, 02:24 PM
Mrs Ruckman goes into hysterics whenever any player is named as suffering a groin strain.

Speaking of which I can not believe Fraser Gehrig is still playing, did anyone else see the splits he did?

I wonder whether Roosy will send someone to test-out the injury? What? Treat him like a wishbone??

Ruck'n'Roll
13th September 2005, 02:25 PM
What? Treat him like a wishbone??
Jolly & Ball?

ScottH
13th September 2005, 02:28 PM
Jolly & Ball? Lucky Cox isn't playing too.

floppinab
13th September 2005, 02:38 PM
I have watched the last Q about 6 times. I cannot see where Bevan had an effective stat.

He probably had the most important touch of the quarter, a key tap on to Crouch on the Brewongle wing at around the 20 min. mark.

Now..... where are those straws.........

Sanecow
13th September 2005, 02:42 PM
What? Treat him like a wishbone??

Monty can probably just bump it with his shoulder a few times.

NMWBloods
13th September 2005, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by Plugger46
running back with the flight of the ball? Mathews would have just sat and waited.
I've seen Mathews do that before.

Ruck'n'Roll
13th September 2005, 02:47 PM
Monty can probably just bump it with his shoulder a few times.
Indeed Buchanan seems to know just when he needs to duck in order to get a touch.

Tuesday
13th September 2005, 04:51 PM

I believe he's already spoken for. :o

giant
13th September 2005, 04:55 PM
I believe he's already spoken for. :o

LRT lover.

Tuesday
13th September 2005, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by giant
LRT lover.

:o

And Barry -- I was merely highlighting the fact that Voges should not be boxed in as a forward. He has a good defensive game, and although we have yet to see him play in the backline, it doesn't mean he is incapable of doing so. You are really quite bitter and picky, aren't you?

barry
13th September 2005, 05:57 PM
:o

And Barry -- I was merely highlighting the fact that Voges should not be boxed in as a forward. He has a good defensive game, and although we have yet to see him play in the backline, it doesn't mean he is incapable of doing so. You are really quite bitter and picky, aren't you?

You are being a touch sensitive. I didnt say Vogels couldnt play KPP backline, but I wouldnt want him to start him there in a preliminary final.

Tuesday
13th September 2005, 06:21 PM
You are being a touch sensitive.

No, I'm not. It seems that it's a free-for-all in your world when it concerns anyone other than LRT, and yet we are crucified when we dare mention something negative followed by the magic letters: L, R and T.

I didnt say Vogels couldnt play KPP backline, but I wouldnt want him to start him there in a preliminary final.

No one mentioned anything about him starting there.

barry
13th September 2005, 06:30 PM
No, I'm not. It seems that it's a free-for-all in your world when it concerns anyone other than LRT, and yet we are crucified when we dare mention something negative followed by the magic letters: L, R and T.

(not a ) Fool. Whats LRT got to do with Vogels ?

Sanecow
13th September 2005, 06:32 PM
Fool. Whats LRT got to do with Vogels ?

1. Fool is unacceptable.
2. I believe they play on the same football team and could conceivably compete for CHB.

barry
13th September 2005, 06:36 PM
1. Fool is unacceptable.
2. I believe they play on the same football team and could conceivably compete for CHB.

troll ;)

Go Swannies
13th September 2005, 06:37 PM
Fool is not merely unacceptable to the moderators. It isn't acceptable to at least one poster here (me). Lack of civility - or basic manners - drives people away. So it's also counterproductive as they don't get to read your inanities.

If you are made to sit in the corner, I for one, won't be disappointed.

barry
13th September 2005, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by Go Swannies
Fool is not merely unacceptable to the moderators. It isn't acceptable to at least one poster here (me). Lack of civility - or basic manners - drives people away. So it's also counterproductive as they don't get to read your inanities.

But Bigfooty is one of the most popular sporting forums in the world.

If you are made to sit in the corner, I for one, won't be disappointed.

Thanks.

Go Swannies
13th September 2005, 06:51 PM
But Bigfooty is one of the most popular sporting forums in the world.

You park your brain when you go into BigFooty. Here we have a common interest. So the difference between here and BF is the same as the conduct acceptable at home and that accepted in a pub.

Robust discussion is great but personal abuse isn't. That's my view anyway.

barry
13th September 2005, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by Go Swannies
You park your brain when you go into BigFooty. Here we have a common interest. So the difference between here and BF is the same as the conduct acceptable at home and that accepted in a pub.

But I thought you said it drove people away?
And Bigfooty has a lot worse then "fool" in every 2nd post.

FWIW, I will only use the word "fool" in extreme cases from now on.
:D

DST
13th September 2005, 06:57 PM
If Willo is out, then I would go with either McVeigh or Malceski. Malceski probably has the disposal skills to be like Willo, but McVeigh will have the running power like Willo. If only we could play them as one!

Moore, while promising is just not ready for finals football or even home & away. Needs to work on his running and stamina and thus would be limited to only playing as a short impact player, dangerous as we need all 22 working this week.

With the injuries the Saints have and the lack of flexibility down back, I would bring in Vogels for Bevan. We may just need that extra marking target to stretch the Saints defence and try and isolate when of their 4 or 5 ranked defenders. Probably would force Grant to play Raphal Clarke or Goddard on Vogels and we could move him to the square to isolate that duel.

I reckon the only reason why Bevan played last week was insurance for if Willo or Ablett (both came in under a cloud) were forced off the ground. Ablett got through and if Willo does not play then we get a replacement out of McVeigh or Malceski.

As for match-ups:

Leo Barry to Gherig (Leo is going to have to be superhuman)
Craig Bolton to Reiwolt (Another super human effort required due to height difference)
LRT to either Blake or Quilt
Crouch for Milne
Tiger for Mongtana

DST
:D

barry
13th September 2005, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by DST

I reckon the only reason why Bevan played last week was insurance for if Willo or Ablett (both came in under a cloud) were forced off the ground. Ablett got through and if Willo does not play then we get a replacement out of McVeigh or Malceski.

Bevan played badly, but Roos might still be thinking that he's Willos cover if Willo doesnt play.

As for match-ups:

Leo Barry to Gherig (Leo is going to have to be superhuman)
Craig Bolton to Reiwolt (Another super human effort required due to height difference)
LRT to either Blake or Quilt
Crouch for Milne
Tiger for Mongtana

If Gehrig is as injured as they say, Leo should be able to contain him. If its wet, Bolton has the strength to go with Reiwoldt.
Crouch on Milne is the danger. Crouch will need to be 100% on his game. LRT on blake is perfect.

Go Swannies
13th September 2005, 07:17 PM
If we can keep their midfield under pressure, it'll be a lot easier for Leo. If their midfield can hit Gehrig on the chest we're in trouble. But if he has to run and catch, Leo will probably get the better of him.

Tuesday
13th September 2005, 07:22 PM

:) Oh, the joy it would bring to my world should that eventuate.