PDA

View Full Version : Get up off his backside, Goodes

TheHood
13th September 2005, 09:26 AM
If someone who knows how to post a link to the Herald Sun could do so that would be great.

Garry Lyon has written a challenge for Adam to play with emotion to exhaustion like he did in 2003.

I have to say that I agree with him in that Goodesy has had every opportunity to make a difference this year. Roosy has said to him, go play where ever you want to play, just not ruck.

I think he is suffering in the midfield because of the nimble onballers taking it off him.

He then goes to CHF and he just waits for it, Baz charges up the wing and demands it by presenting well. Why isn't Adam charging up the middle giving us the second option?

I think it's a structural thing and something needs to be worked out in attack because he's just being left out of it.

The Crows game he played was awesome, but where has he been since that game?

We need Adam this week, we need 22 men determined to succeed!

ScottH
13th September 2005, 09:28 AM
Link (http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,%255E20121,00.html)

Jeffers1984
13th September 2005, 10:34 AM
Goodes is our X factor and if he fires, then the Saints won't know what hit em.

cruiser
13th September 2005, 10:49 AM
Hall and Goodes are surely both due for big games. We need them to lift so much this Friday and play to their full potential. If they do, watch out Saints.

TheHood
13th September 2005, 11:02 AM
We also need to get back to the quick kicks out of the centre/stoppages from Jude, Kirky, Monty and co.

Mike_B
13th September 2005, 11:19 AM
Without being at the ground for either of our last 2 games I can't comment on whether his attitude has changed, but in games I have been at, Goodes has often led up to the wing more often than any other player to try and provide an option to the player who has marked across HB, only to be ignored most of the time.

ugg
13th September 2005, 11:36 AM
I agree with Lyon in that when he matches up against players who are midfielders he needs to take advantage of the size/height difference and take more contested marks. I know the Swans tried to exploit this against the Cats by putting him in the forward line against Ling, but the delivery that was required just didn't come.

It will be interesting to see who he comes up against on Friday. I doubt it will be Blake, because if Koschitzke is missing, he will need to be the 2nd ruckman. Maybe Goddard or Raph Clarke?

hammo
13th September 2005, 11:37 AM
It will be an interesting challenge for Roosey this week.

I don't think we can win if Goodes and Hall have quiet games again.

Throwing Goodesy in the ruck is the best way for him to get some touches and hopefully with a bit of confidence he can start taking his trademark strong grabs again.

If on song he will be unstoppable on the G.

timthefish
13th September 2005, 12:14 PM
i'd persist with goodes on the wing at the mcg. the slightly narrower profile brings him in to play more than at the scg and there will be much more space along the field for him to position himself, run like the wind and make a complete fool of his opponent.

on the wing he can play his natural attacking game and has considerable freedom to follow the contest as a player in space as opposed being in close.

giant
13th September 2005, 01:25 PM
As I've said elsewhere, watching Goodes live at Subi in week 1, he ran himself to the point where he was almost physically ill. Yes, he's making un-Goodes like skill errors at the moment but it's not correct to be questioning his commitment.

Let's hope he lifts - he owes us for last year much more than for the last 2 weeks.

TheHood
13th September 2005, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by giant
As I've said elsewhere, watching Goodes live at Subi in week 1, he ran himself to the point where he was almost physically ill. Yes, he's making un-Goodes like skill errors at the moment but it's not correct to be questioning his commitment.

Let's hope he lifts - he owes us for last year much more than for the last 2 weeks.

To me he doesn't look "ball hungry" at the moment. Not only is he not getting it enough, when the pressure is on he's too interested in protecting the ball and keeping his feet rather than risk taking posession, that includes some woeful dolly taps with his feet. Love to see him take a possession and do more with it.

SwallowdaFonz
13th September 2005, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by giant

Eh? You mean his 2004 season, when he didn't miss a game despite a string of injuries that would have ended the season of a lesser man? A bit harsh.

giant
13th September 2005, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by SwallowdaFonz
Eh? You mean his 2004 season, when he didn't miss a game despite a string of injuries that would have ended the season of a lesser man? A bit harsh.

No, I mean the 2004 semi final vs the Saints where he got absolutely belted by the no-name Blake. Still harsh but we judge stars but higher stds.