PDA

View Full Version : Five Players I Believe Need to Lift!!!

originalswan
12th September 2005, 12:12 PM
After watchiong our two Finals games (on TV I must admit) I have analysed our players form and believe these five especially need to lift their performance for us to be a chance against St Kilda:

1. Darren Jolly - (yes) He hasn't really been mentioned but I look at his recent output against the game he played for us first up against Hawthorn. In that game he dominated in the Ruck and was best on field. It seems recently Jason Ball has been more consistent (that tap to Davis' advantage was superb). If he can play like he did against Hawthorn then we have a huge advantage against the Saints.

2. Jude Bolton - His last few weeks have been below par (even though the endeavour has been there). He seems to be possibly trying too hard like he did early in his career and making some simple skill errors. HE HAD 6 Clangers against the Cats.

3. Paul Williams - He is still known to Swans fans as a "Star" but his recent performances have been well below his best. Perhaps the niggling injuries have stifled his output. Would love to see him streaming through the centre with his long bursts of yesterday.

4. Barry Hall - This is stating the obvious but I believe he needs to relax a little more. It was great to see that his frustrations did not boil over on Friday night. Perhaps the Captaincy has put added pressure on him. He seemed so intent and focused when talking to the players that I believe a second lieutenant (eg. Kirk) needs to settle him down during the game. Barry must forget about the added responsibility - His previous great play is all that is required - He leads by example!

5. Adam Goodes - He's seemed to float in and out of games in the last few weeks. If ever he was to repeat his brownlow form it is now against the star studded Saints.

Special mentions to O'Keefe and Luke Ablett (who also seems to be carrying some injury).

If these guys can get back in form then we are half way to the Grand Final - If not then a similar game to last week will see us as spectators during the Grand Final.

timthefish
12th September 2005, 12:14 PM
yep

barry
12th September 2005, 12:17 PM
I think we need 22 players plus coaching staff to lift.

An average of only around 60 points in 2 finals with margins of less than a kick, is not good enough to win 2 more games.

At the end of the H&A we were 3rd and good form.

Now we are top 4, and average form.

We havent achieved anything yet, and need a substantial return to form quickly.

Jeffers1984
12th September 2005, 12:26 PM
Bit harsh on Jolly who has been winning alot of hitouts, just not mostly to our advantage. Probably right about him needing more influence around the ground but if he can get his taps to advantage right, then he's certainly done his bit in my books.

However my 5 lifters in order are:

1. Barry Hall - Most obvious one here. Perhaps we could stick him at FF and let Mickey O lead up the ground. If Barry has a sniff for goals, then he really fires.

2. Adam Goodes - Needs to lift his intensity. He has been very poor since the Adelaide game where he played one of the most inspiring games i have seen (Apart from Nicky D's ;))

3. Jude Bolton - Surely is still carrying a hamstring injury which is probably why he has had stints at HF. Nothing to lose and everything to gain from now in Jude.

4. Paul Williams - Same with Jude who still has an injury cloud over his thigh. Needs to improve his diposals but still has it all IMO. Can be the major difference against the Saints.

5. Leo Barry - Probably harsh on Leo, and he has been very consistent. However in order to beat Gehrig, he will have to go that extra level. Has been towled the last two times they have met, but we know he can do the job on him as shown last year at the SCG.

Special mention to LRT who has a major job on Reiwoldt, needs to get his confidence back.

cruiser
12th September 2005, 12:39 PM
I reckon the five would be Goodes, Hall, ROK, Bolton and Williams. If they do all lift and the rest of the team keeps playing as it has been, we should win.

Plugger46
12th September 2005, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by originalswan
1. Darren Jolly - (yes) He hasn't really been mentioned but I look at his recent output against the game he played for us first up against Hawthorn. In that game he dominated in the Ruck and was best on field. It seems recently Jason Ball has been more consistent (that tap to Davis' advantage was superb). If he can play like he did against Hawthorn then we have a huge advantage against the Saints.

Don't agree with that one. I think Jolly and Ball have been working really well together over the last month.

hammo
12th September 2005, 01:12 PM
Unfair to put Jolly in that list. We dominated the hit outs against the Cats.

Hall, Goodes, ROK, J.Bolton and MOL all need to lift. If all 5 play to their potential we will win.

Plus I would like to see Crouch and Kenneally do extra goal kicking practice. Unforgivable to keep missing those shots on the run (a mention to C.Bolton here as well).

Sanecow
12th September 2005, 01:14 PM
I'm not sure Jolly needs to lift any more than anyone else but I think that he can lift.

For the whole team: goal kicking and tackling practice all week.

12th September 2005, 01:31 PM
I think we just need Hall to lift. Once he lifts, all will. He is the key. St Kilda has no natural match-up for him so we are in with a huge chance.

stellation
12th September 2005, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by Sanecow
I'm not sure Jolly needs to lift any more than anyone else but I think that he can lift.

That is quite perceptive of you moondog. Jolly has been pretty good all year, but I definitely feel that he can go up another notch. Whether that happens this finals series or happens in the next year or two remains to be seen.
For a guy who didn't get much game time at Melbourne he has been a stand out performer for us. Number 5 in the comp in hitouts, fantastic considering the heavy rotation with Ball.

liz
12th September 2005, 02:36 PM

For the whole team: goal kicking and tackling practice all week.

I reckon every single player on the team is capable of lifting over their Friday night performance, with the possible exception of Crouch, the only four quarter performer.

Degrees of liftability vary but they can all find a wee bit more - and will need to.

Go Swannies
12th September 2005, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by liz
I reckon every single player on the team is capable of lifting over their Friday night performance, with the possible exception of Crouch, the only four quarter performer.

Degrees of liftability vary but they can all find a wee bit more - and will need to.

The leading possession getters around the ground were Davis and Kirk (25 & 26 I think) - then the first Cat. Nicky D leading possessions! Those two - and Bucky and Crouch - gave us the chance for victory. If they play at that level again - and get some support this time - we have a good chance.

And, though I presume it must be part of some master game plan, we have to play on, not stop and look around after every mark.

Rizzo
12th September 2005, 04:40 PM
We might not see Williams on the park this week. If he's 50/50 I'drather him sit out and wait for next week ;-)

Ruck'n'Roll
12th September 2005, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by Jeffers1984
12. Adam Goodes - Needs to lift his intensity. He has been very poor since the Adelaide game where he played one of the most inspiring games i have seen (Apart from Nicky D's ;))
If he want the captaincy, this is his opportunity.

Originally posted by Jeffers1984
Special mention to LRT who has a major job on Reiwoldt, needs to get his confidence back.
I wonder whether he will get Reiwolt? Roos may prefer B2.

Frog
12th September 2005, 04:50 PM
I don't think there is any need for any one individual to lift. This is a team game. True, the masses don't have to carry the individual, but if each individual is doing what he is supposed to be doing, then the team will play to its best ability.

Barry Hall got little chance of leather poisoning on Friday due to atrocious delivery and a blinder by Scarlett. Double teaming, dropping a man in front and a litter of Cats in their defensive 50 does not make an open forward line to lead productively. A goalless full forward means that, at least, he kept one, two maybe three Cats busy. His reputation alone did a good enough job to open space for someone else.

Barry Hall will have to be double teamed this Friday. If he doesn't kick a bag full, this thread will be revived. And the perpetrators may well be the same. You reckon the Saints are going to lose sight of one Nick Davis this week ? How about MOL, ROK ?

I don't believe that the Saints (Thomas) will want to play the stop/start game. That, I think, would be to our advantage. It is going to allow the likes of LRT and Goodes to roam at half-back. Create a loose man in the centre and whatever comes from the back, have a bit of target practice getting the ball into the forward fifty.

No need for specific individuals to lift. These guys are professionals. They know what is required, they know what to do, they know the prize at the end. The TEAM needs to be playing as a TEAM - Back each other up, create the loose man, create options, regardless of who it is - Just run the Sainters ragged - I still believe we are the fittest team in the League - We'll outlast them ...

BonBon
12th September 2005, 05:05 PM
1. Ryan
2. Ryano
3. Pebbles
4. ROK
5. Ryan O'Keefey baby

Go Swannies
12th September 2005, 05:11 PM
At some risk to my personal safety, I thought Ben was one of our better players on a night when so many didn't stand up.

punter257
12th September 2005, 05:20 PM
yeah benny mathews was very good on GAblett but if Milburn had have nailed a goal from that turnover then the boys would be at the pub today and bazza would be on his 10th beer

SimonH
12th September 2005, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by Go Swannies
At some risk to my personal safety, I thought Ben was one of our better players on a night when so many didn't stand up. Drew 3 free kicks, at least one of which was questionable, and did for the most part keep G. Ablett accountable when on him. But still sloooooow in decision-making, prefers to go back on the mark when there's space in front to have a bolt, and made a couple of crunch-time disposal errors in the last quarter. I remember thinking, 'that is a delisting offence' at the time, but then I was pretty emotional at the time.

Sure, the whole team needs to lift and implement the game-plan a hell of a lot better than we did in the first half on Friday. But, to use the PC phrase, the following need to help the team plan along more than they did on Friday:
? Luke Ablett
? Paul Bevan (in the unlikely event he gets another go)
? Nic Fosdike (I've always been a Nic apologist, but geez a couple of things he did in the last quarter got me riled)
? ROK ('though the last quarter effort was very good)
? BBBH
? MOL (okay, 2 goals were worth their weight in gold but seemed to be in the wrong position/behind for much of the night)
? Paul Williams (though I think, sadly, it would be foolish to play him-- semi-fit players always get caught out in finals)
? Adam Goodes (gee, he needs to concentrate more for a man of his talent)
? Jude Bolton
? The aforementioned B. Mathews.

That's practically half the team. I would like to include LRT in the above, but to be frank, I think he's playing to the limits of his ability right now, so to expect more from him is unrealistic.

My selection table: Williams (inj) and Bevan (seems well out of sorts) omitted; that 2000 B&F bloke (whatever his name is) and an in-form little man (Moore? McVeigh? Schwatta back from the dead? You choose) included.

And in parting, let's not forget one player who doesn't need to lift, but merely repeat the dose: a Herculean effort (esp. in the 1st half when all around him were losing their heads) of Mr A. Buchanan on Friday night. Stepped up yet again, in a year when he's already exceeded expectations on several occasions. There's an awful lot to like about this guy.

big bear
12th September 2005, 06:39 PM
I think you are probably right but think we need to lift across the board to beat saints. I am sure the occasion will lift the team and the mighty swans will prevail. Go the bloods. We must beat the arrogant saints and crush Grant Thomas.

Sanecow
12th September 2005, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by SimonH
I would like to include LRT in the above, but to be frank, I think he's playing to the limits of his ability right now, so to expect more from him is unrealistic.

He didn't play at his peak against Geelong (the handball) or WCE (did a good job against Gardiner against whom he was a shocking mismatch) but hopefully he can settle down this week.

swans_premiers
12th September 2005, 07:06 PM
Nick Davis needs to lift, has he even touched the ball in the last month?

Go Swannies
12th September 2005, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by swans_premiers
Nick Davis needs to lift, has he even touched the ball in the last month?

Goes for the soft option - doesn't even take the catch but just puts it straight onto the boot. Not good enough.

12th September 2005, 07:15 PM
He didn't play at his peak against Geelong (the handball) or WCE (did a good job against Gardiner against whom he was a shocking mismatch) but hopefully he can settle down this week.
LRT was very decent until that kicking blunder. Kept Gardiner relatively quiet. He showed a bit of nerve in the first half of that game. Played very closely to his man. In the second half, he was much more confident and going for the ball a lot more. Pity that his confidence was snapped a fair bit after that blunder. This is expected from someone inexperience like him.

Just need someone to settle him down during the week and he will be contributive for the game.

originalswan
13th September 2005, 04:32 PM
Article in todays Melbourne Herald Sun about Adam Goodes (Garry Lyon) states:

"..I would like to see more desperation in the Brownlow medallist's game...more physical presence, a little more hurt and pain...a little more of the emotion that was so evident during that Brownlow year".

"In football terms this is life and death...If that's not enough to drag you out of your comfort zone, I'm not sure what is".

These words are quite strong but I respect Garry Lyon and his understanding about football. As I stated posting this topic, I really believe he is one of the keys for our Finals chances.

dimelb
13th September 2005, 10:03 PM
Just for the hell of it I'll nominate five I think could lift.
1. LRT - a good effort in the last couple of weeks but just needs to hold his nerve and back himself. He's big enough, fast enough and feisty enough to do (the other team) some damage. Go The Hyphen!
2. Amon. Daredevil, throws himself into the ruck and comes out with the ball. Just do it once or twice more per quarter and we have a potential matchwinner. Gutsy player.
3. Ryano. Now a fine link player to add to his goalkicking value. Just needs to straighten up a touch. 2.4 could become 4.2 - another matchwinner.
4. Schneider. Is he a defender with run out of the back or is he a goalsneak? Will he take Milne or will he be crumbing at Barry's feet? Could do either. Take it easy, but take it!
5. Fosdike. Despite the bagging he gets here at times, can be one of the best at delivering into the forward 50, and usually seems to have time and space as an outside receiver. Sharpen the attack.

TheHood
14th September 2005, 08:44 AM
It's fair to say that Finals Footy is all about capitalising on your form and momentum when it comes your way.

Kicking 1 goal 6 when you have a run on or dibbling passes into forward 50 or taking that extra bounce BALL can hurt you, because when the opposition come, they will most likely convert!

Match-Ups, set plays and all the rest of it will be long forgotten if the Swannies don't convert when their time comes.

2003, Port Adelaide, first half H & A season, Sydney convert terribly. Completely dominate field play and go in at quarter time 1 goal 7 (I think). First final later that year and Sydney have dominated field play and lead by nearly 50 points at half time. Port came at Sydney in the second half as expected, but simply could not capitalise when it was their turn and it was too late. The lead was unassailable!

Who will take their chances this week? Nick Davis will, Mick and Baz will.

Who do we need to take their chances to win?
* Monty (love him to lift, I reckon the Sts will be discounting him)
* Schneider (must steel himself, hopefully maturing)
* Kennelly (capable of winning it off his own boot, must lift)
* Goodes (been said all over the country, desperation needed)

I suspect if these guys take their chances, set shots, shots on the run, passes inside F50 then Sydney will win.

Anyone else have their thoughts on what we need to do to win?

liz
14th September 2005, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by TheHood

Anyone else have their thoughts on what we need to do to win?

Leo and Crouchy are keys.

Leo will get Gehrig, no doubt about it. Crouch is the obvious choice for Milne, though there are other options.

I saw the Saints Geelong game a few weeks ago (live) and the Saints won comfortably against an understrength and very ordinary Geelong. However, Scarlett played a blinder on Gehrig, right up there with Leo's performance on him mid-season 2004.

As the game progressed, the Saints midfield became less direct, less certain about how to bring the ball forward, with Gehrig unable to provide a reliable target up front. Yes, the Saints comfortably won, but largely on the back of a dominant performance by Hamill.

It is always possible that someone else will jump up and dominate even if Gehrig is well-held, but him in form clearly straightens them up and gives them confidence to burst through the middle, playing directly. If the Swans can get the Saints midfield away from this style, they are capable of applying pressure (in a way Geelong didn't that night) and getting well on top.

originalswan
14th September 2005, 09:14 AM
It would be great if we had another player able to match up on Milne. I am not sure who that would be though. If we could find this other tagger (perhaps Matthews) then we would be able to allow Crouch the same sort of freedom that he has thrived on in the last two finals. I just love his dash at the moment.

Jeffers1984
14th September 2005, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by originalswan
It would be great if we had another player able to match up on Milne. I am not sure who that would be though. If we could find this other tagger (perhaps Matthews) then we would be able to allow Crouch the same sort of freedom that he has thrived on in the last two finals. I just love his dash at the moment.
Like i said before, the wildcard on Milne is Schneider. Has the closing speed to match Milne and played a good game in defence against Corrie (Lions). Milne is definately a different proposition, but i would back Schneiders acceleration and speed to at least provide a solid contest on Milne.