PDA

View Full Version : Healy's blueprint to beat the Saints

Dave
15th September 2005, 03:07 PM
From the Tele

http://dailytelegraph.news.com.au/story/0,20281,16603175-5001023,00.html

"On the MCG, Sydney will find it more difficult to restrict them so the Swans have got to kick 14 goals to win this match."

I wont say I told you so, but I did!
Well actually I said 13 goals but close enough.

Schneiderman
15th September 2005, 04:30 PM
Oh please play the way we did against Hawthorn and Essendon!

Legs Akimbo
15th September 2005, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by Dave
From the Tele

http://dailytelegraph.news.com.au/story/0,20281,16603175-5001023,00.html

"On the MCG, Sydney will find it more difficult to restrict them so the Swans have got to kick 14 goals to win this match."

I wont say I told you so, but I did!
Well actually I said 13 goals but close enough.

Incomprehensible rambling gibberish, from Healy which is unusual because I generally find him quite insightful.

You are up against one of the most talented midfields so you don't want to go man-on-man against all them, Harvey, Lenny Hayes, Luke Ball, Nick Dal Santo, else they will get beaten. They are going to have to make a scrap, another dogfight

Hang on - how do you have a scrappy dog fight without playing man on man! Flood? Just keep away from them. Surely not. I don't get it.

originalswan
15th September 2005, 05:18 PM
Against Hawthorn? I thought we were pretty ordinary that day just the opposition were even worse - We never hit top gear against the Hawks!

timbo
15th September 2005, 07:09 PM
Incomprehensible rambling gibberish,

pfft

healy knows. he is 'astute' as ever with the swans. cressa hinted how to beat the swans last week and it shouldve worked. This plan looks the goods, doesnt take much just effort.

Schneiderman
15th September 2005, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by originalswan
Against Hawthorn? I thought we were pretty ordinary that day just the opposition were even worse - We never hit top gear against the Hawks!

Structure and game plan, not effort.

Legs Akimbo
15th September 2005, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by timbo
pfft

healy knows. he is 'astute' as ever with the swans. cressa hinted how to beat the swans last week and it shouldve worked. This plan looks the goods, doesnt take much just effort.

Sorry Timbo - help me out here - what is Healy saying? Do we tag or not tag, play accountable, or not accountable, do we kick it long or short. How does the weather change the plan?

As for Cressa's ingenious plan for ruining our season - the scoreline suggests it wasn't all that great (21 scoring shots to 18 scoring shots) and wouldn't have worked nearly as well if some turnip hadn't turned the centre square into a marsh - or did Cressa have a hand in that too? Not only that, they lost and we won!

Actually, I suggest we need to make a fundamental decision against the Saints - we control the ruck so do Ball and Jolly punch the ball away from the pack or tap it into the pack? Aside from that fundamental, three simple things I think can help us improve the odds...

1. Kick it longer. When we stuff around, we lose.
2. Play Hall closer to the goal (I think I agree with Healy on that)
3. Tag their outside midfielders - Harvey and Lenny Hayes with Crouch and Matthews respectively. Run Ablett with their Ball.

Anyway, just my thoughts.

P.S. - I don't doubt Healy's credibility, but seems to me the article read like he was interviewed at the airport on the way to the can when he badly needed a piss.

NMWBloods
15th September 2005, 08:24 PM
Crouch has to play on Milne. We can't afford to let Milne get going.

I think Kirk on Hayes, Mathews on Harvey and Ablett on Ball.

Go Swannies
15th September 2005, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by NMWBloods
Crouch has to play on Milne. We can't afford to let Milne get going.

I think Kirk on Hayes, Mathews on Harvey and Ablett on Ball.

Aargh - it's happened again. I agree with you re Crouch.

If Harvey has the sort of game he did against the Crows then we might have to rejig that - even throw Kirk on him at some cost to his own game.

NMWBloods
15th September 2005, 11:43 PM
You're getting better - starting to understand the subtle nuances and tactics... well done lad...

Go Swannies
16th September 2005, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by NMWBloods
You're getting better - starting to understand the subtle nuances and tactics... well done lad...

You are just talking about trying to get across the line in RWO, aren't you?

NMWBloods
16th September 2005, 12:01 AM
Nah, you've lost direction again...

Snowy
16th September 2005, 12:08 AM
Healy tipped Sydney to win on tonight's radio.

Legs Akimbo
16th September 2005, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by Snowy
Healy tipped Sydney to win on tonight's radio.

The man is a genius beyong compare.

RogueSwan
16th September 2005, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by Legs Akimbo
1. Kick it longer. When we stuff around, we lose.

That is an over generalisation. When you mean stuff around, I assume you mean quick handballs across the half back. This is where the Swans get their run and exciting fast break game from. Just kicking it longer is no good as seen by last weeks game. Players were grabbing the ball and just booting without targetting someone, great option that. I suppose it comes down to how we handle the pressure that is sure to come from the opposition. That is where we either "stuff around" or "create great run".
Rapid-fire handballs that stick across half back with someone taking on their man, with the assistance of a shepherd then kicking to a leading forward on the chest is the way to go. Simple. Now has anyone got Roos mobile number?

SXP
16th September 2005, 09:24 AM
Sorry, guys, but I like Healy because he's trying to be objective as much as possible when assessing our winning chances.

Legs Akimbo
16th September 2005, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by RogueSwan
That is an over generalisation. When you mean stuff around, I assume you mean quick handballs across the half back?

Your assumption is wrong - I mean stuff around. Principle culprits - Ben Matthews, LRT, Bevan etc. Kicking to stationary players who are not in a positioned of advantage. Not moving the ball on quickly.

I agree that run from the backline is critical to our team.

RogueSwan
16th September 2005, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by Legs Akimbo
Principle culprits - Ben Matthews, LRT, Bevan etc... ... Not moving the ball on quickly.
Ah yes we are reading from the same script. :)