PDA

View Full Version : Important issue: What video gets reviewed?

Sanecow
20th September 2005, 12:04 PM
From the Barry Hall thread:

Tonight on White Line Fever the camera man that shot the Hall/Maguire footage was asked why he had the camera on them at that time considering they were not involved in actual play. he said that he was expecting something to happen as they had been niggling eachother for awhile and when pushed he commented that Maguire ha something to Hall that may have been considered reportable about 3 mins prior.

If he caught that on camera (which I assume he did if he saw it since he is a camera man), is there a tape somewhere recording the incident?

Which brings me to the important question that nobody seems to be asking: What footage does gets reviewed for purposes of reports?

Either it is the televised footage only, in which case it is horribly biased system that is driven by the media or it is all footage in which case bias has been shown by a lack of a report on Maguire.

stellation
20th September 2005, 12:11 PM
I am pretty certain that one of the media reports said that the footage everyone is playing is the only one that shows the incident/lead up.

Sanecow
20th September 2005, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by stellation
I am pretty certain that one of the media reports said that the footage everyone is playing is the only one that shows the incident/lead up.

That is referring to the reported incident, but what about three minutes earlier?

stellation
20th September 2005, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by Sanecow
That is referring to the reported incident, but what about three minutes earlier?
Sorry, derrr....

If we did bring the other incident in would Barry get leniancy for retaliation or would Maguire just get in trouble too?

Sanecow
20th September 2005, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by stellation
Sorry, derrr....

If we did bring the other incident in would Barry get leniancy for retaliation or would Maguire just get in trouble too?

It wouldn't do much to the Hall case I shouldn't think, but it puts focus on the inherent bias in video reports which is the much bigger issue.

Mike_B
20th September 2005, 01:17 PM
I got the impression that he didn't catch the first incident from those few minutes earlier but noticed the niggle continuing so started to worry about Hall and Maguire.

Schneiderman
20th September 2005, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by Sanecow
Which brings me to the important question that nobody seems to be asking: What footage does gets reviewed for purposes of reports?

Either it is the televised footage only, in which case it is horribly biased system that is driven by the media or it is all footage in which case bias has been shown by a lack of a report on Maguire.

I think the Tribunal process is quite strict. It cant consider previous precendent or other footage from the game. I believe its designed mostly to rule on matters of law and application.

However the Appeal process post-Tribunal is designed to behave more like a court. It was originally implemented to prevent having to go to court on these issues, so one must assume it has far more scope to consider. This would presumably include whether the punishment fits the crime, and whether there were mitigating circumstances.

Any legal eagles on here can happily prove me wrong, but that's my understanding.