PDA

View Full Version : Greg Stafford - Winner or Chronic Underachiever

TheHood
28th January 2003, 08:08 AM
I was wondering what everybody thought about Greg Stafford's performances with Richmond in 2002.

Did Greg have a better 2002 with Richmond than he did in 2001 with the Swans?

My sources tell me that Greg enjoys working under Danny much more than he did under Rocket (not surprising really).

I thought that when Greg was on the field with Richmond he was pretty effective. I didn't see him drop as many embarrassing marks as he did in 2001.

Charlie
28th January 2003, 08:38 AM
He was ok for Richmond this year, but he's no world beater, he'll be 28 this year I think, and I don't regret letting him go at all.

desredandwhite
28th January 2003, 09:09 AM
Maybe it was a case of the move being best for both parties. Good luck to him. I was sad to see him go in a way - local boy, and definitely not short on talent.

(btw TheHood, I moved this thread here, more appropriate in this forum)

bricon
28th January 2003, 10:01 AM
Staff?s work rate and involvement have always been problem issues for him. His forward work was far better last season (26 goals from 16 games) but his general play stats (possessions, hit-outs, marks) are all below his career average. He?s still an under-achiever.

j s
28th January 2003, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by bricon
Staff?s work rate and involvement have always been problem issues for him. His forward work was far better last season (26 goals from 16 games) but his general play stats (possessions, hit-outs, marks) are all below his career average. He?s still an under-achiever.
I agree with these comments. Underachieving though is something that the right coaching can often overcome (and the can be caused by by the wrong coaching).

We'll never know how he would have performed under Roos.

My only real regret was the "local boy" aspect. It was a pity he couldn't maintain the form he showed early

jude_boltons_babe
28th January 2003, 01:17 PM
ive got a freind whos a richmond fan and she said he was playing great since moving to the richmond tigers

TheMase
28th January 2003, 01:52 PM
Still an underachiever I think. As a ruckman, he still cannot ruck. And as a forward, he doesn't kick enough goals to call himself a key forward.

He is also way too big to be called a Small Forward.

I think if Ottens and Ray Hall improve, Stafford will then be the 3rd (or with richardson 4th) tall in line.

CureTheSane
28th January 2003, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by TheMase

He is also way too big to be called a Small Forward.

He's too big to be called a small anything :lol

Dpw
28th January 2003, 03:02 PM
I thought he was a sad loss to the swans and if he is 28 his best could be ahead of him just look at williams. I will never forget him toweling up the Eagles ruck division at subi a few times and thats never easy as they play the ground well.

TheMase
28th January 2003, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by Dpw
I thought he was a sad loss to the swans and if he is 28 his best could be ahead of him just look at williams. I will never forget him toweling up the Eagles ruck division at subi a few times and thats never easy as they play the ground well.

Williams was always an excellent performer at Collingwood. He was always fairly consistant. Unfortunately at Collingwood he was forced to hide behind Buckley's shadow, whereas at Sydney he has become our number 1 midfielder.

Staff on the other hand had every chance at the Swans (and then some..) but he was unable to capitalise, and if anything went downhill.

At Richmond he has been solid at times, but nothing special. Kicked a few goals, his ruckwork is still same old same old.

First season at a new club last year, this year will be a different story. If Richo, Ottens and Hall lift, it wouldn't surprise me if he dropped out of the starting 22...

Dpw
28th January 2003, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by TheMase
Williams was always an excellent performer at Collingwood. He was always fairly consistant. Unfortunately at Collingwood he was forced to hide behind Buckley's shadow, whereas at Sydney he has become our number 1 midfielder.

Staff on the other hand had every chance at the Swans (and then some..) but he was unable to capitalise, and if anything went downhill.

At Richmond he has been solid at times, but nothing special. Kicked a few goals, his ruckwork is still same old same old.

First season at a new club last year, this year will be a different story. If Richo, Ottens and Hall lift, it wouldn't surprise me if he dropped out of the starting 22...

I see yoour point. But you are wrong about williams infact he was less than consistant and failed to perform in big games regulary drawing alot attention from the melbourne media and ex-players hence why he was traded so cheaply. But I love giving it to my magpie friends and he has really come on as a player and leader.

TheMase
28th January 2003, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by Dpw
I see yoour point. But you are wrong about williams infact he was less than consistant and failed to perform in big games regulary drawing alot attention from the melbourne media and ex-players hence why he was traded so cheaply. But I love giving it to my magpie friends and he has really come on as a player and leader.
In his later years he was less consistant, but from memory prior to that he wasn't.

From rumours it seems Williams and Bucks didn't see eye to eye.

TheHood
28th January 2003, 05:05 PM
No wonder all who matter agree that the Willo trade to Sydney was perfect for all parties.

However, I would never brag about Collingwood losing a champion, as we have lost a few to the Pies in recent memory, Licuria and after the granny, maybe just Rocca.

Anyone recall who the Swans traded for Licuria, was it someone absurd like Scotty Russell?

Cheer Cheer
28th January 2003, 08:22 PM
Sure staff is talented and the change of club and refreshment has done staff good, ive got no doubt staff will be a major part of richmonds plan - masey I believe staff is still way ahead of ray hall at this stage.
In saying that ive got no regrets about letting him go , it was plain to see he had done is dash at the swans and i hope he does well, however if he is fit and does nothin for the tigers i feel he will find it hard to play a role with richmond after this year

liz
29th January 2003, 01:00 AM
Originally posted by Dpw

He was hardly traded cheaply - we gave up a 1st and 3rd round pick for him. That may not sound much compared to what Brisbane got for Headland, say, but given Willo's age it was still a reasonably hefty price for the Swans to pay. No complaints mind - he's probably already justified that price, especially considering we "paid" the same for Ball.

And before someone points it out, I know Adelaide paid more for Carey, but he has the potential to be more damaging given he's the best KP player of recent years. And in any case, IMO, Adelaide paid an exceptionally heavy price for him. Only time will tell whether he's worth it or not.

On the subject of Stafford, back in 1996 and 1997 when he first emerged as a class ruckman I was convinced he was Brownlow material. He may never have been great at centre bounces but around the ground he was superb at times. His 2002 season at Richmond was an improvement on the rubbish football he played for Sydney in 2001 (and to some extent 2000) but came nowhere near what he promised earlier in his career.

Definitely an underachiever considering the natural talent he has.

Diego
29th January 2003, 02:48 AM
He used to punch the ball at centre bounces. Hardly the stuff of champion ruckman.

Is a good mark and great tall forward for the tigers. I am happy he is happy at the tigers.

NMWBloods
29th January 2003, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by lizz
On the subject of Stafford, back in 1996 and 1997 when he first emerged as a class ruckman I was convinced he was Brownlow material. He may never have been great at centre bounces but around the ground he was superb at times. His 2002 season at Richmond was an improvement on the rubbish football he played for Sydney in 2001 (and to some extent 2000) but came nowhere near what he promised earlier in his career.

Definitely an underachiever considering the natural talent he has.

I agree generally, although I had thought that he never quite recovered after his knee injury in '99. However, checking the stats, I see he had a very big year in 2000, but fell apart after that.

Destructive
30th January 2003, 09:23 AM
Greg Stafford is still a chronic underachiever. Although he did put in some good performances for Richmond last year.

Norris Lurker
30th January 2003, 11:01 PM
Stafford is just one of many players whose attempts to kick goals have been distracted by the truly amazing Destructive.:p :p