PDA

View Full Version : Cya Stewie?

sydneyswans1989
21st September 2005, 02:42 PM
Is it all said & done for Stuart Maxfield or will the vetran play on in 2006? In my opinion i would love to see stewie play one more season but seeing him after the sydney vs geelong game at the scg, he just didnt look good at all. I hope he can make a huge recovery & might be tempted enough to play another season.

BayesysLeftBoot
21st September 2005, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by sydneyswans1989
Is it all said & done for Stuart Maxfield or will the vetran play on in 2006? In my opinion i would love to see stewie play one more season but seeing him after the sydney vs geelong game at the scg, he just didnt look good at all. I hope he can make a huge recovery & might be tempted enough to play another season. While my heart would love to see him play on next year my head says it will only hurt both the club and stewie.

punter257
21st September 2005, 02:45 PM
yeah i hope he plays another season and can get to the 300 mark - one of my favourite players and i would really miss him if he retired now

hammo
21st September 2005, 02:49 PM
No chance of him playing on.

Even Stewie would realise that the team has moved on and now is not the time to be sending a younger player back to the reserves.

Charlie
21st September 2005, 02:50 PM
Sentiment says yes.

Malceski, McVeigh, Willoughby, Moore and Schmidt say no.

Jeffers1984
21st September 2005, 02:53 PM
Would love for him to stay with the club in a coaching aspect side of things, however i think he should consider retiring this year. Malceski has to get his chance now and deservedly so.

Snowy
21st September 2005, 02:53 PM
There are certainly rumours in Melbourne to the effect that Maxfield will pull the pin after the season.

Plugger46
21st September 2005, 03:01 PM
Love the bloke, but time to go.

swansrule100
21st September 2005, 03:12 PM
like to see him play vfl or something similar he could play a few years. But he has lost too much pace in both his legs and decision making to play afl.

But he has been a great player and a good captain

BayesysLeftBoot
21st September 2005, 03:13 PM
Does anyone think that he announcing his retirement before the match is a good move or should he just wait until afterwards? I reckon announcing it beforehand would only serve to further distract the players on what is allready an emotional enough day for them.

Jeffers1984
21st September 2005, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by BayseysLeftBoot
Does anyone think that he announcing his retirement before the match is a good move or should he just wait until afterwards? I reckon announcing it beforehand would only serve to further distract the players on what is allready an emotional enough day for them.
Agreed. However Ball told his blokes on Wednesday before the game against Geelong that he would pull the pin at the end of the year.

giant
21st September 2005, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by BayseysLeftBoot

You would think the players already suspect it. It's their time - Stewie can revel (very deservedly) in the emotion afterwards.

Young Blood
21st September 2005, 03:47 PM
v good career, excellent skipper, but not up to it any more. he should have retired (or been retired) at the end of last year.

Go Swannies
21st September 2005, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by Young Blood
v good career, excellent skipper, but not up to it any more. he should have retired (or been retired) at the end of last year.

And right now we'd be regretting another failed finals season. The team all agree that Stewie is the heart of the team, even now when he's not playing and no longer captain. He gave them a pep talk before the Saints game and the players say that's what focussed them to win. Kirk said that every player never took their eyes off him as he spoke, so high is their respect. And they admired him even more for not expressing any regret that he wasn't playing in the game.

Roos said that if Stewie asked him if he could play this weekend he'd seriously consider it, so high does he regard him. I don't know if we can find a consultant/coaching role for him next year, with the commuting to Melbourne and all. But as the team say, the Bloods and their success this year is largely the creation of Stewie and Roos. If we win the flag I'd be as honoured to shake his hand as I would captain Baz.

The Swans win because they play hard and accountable. Sound like anyone you remember, maybe answering to Mad Dog?

mocaholic
21st September 2005, 07:49 PM
Great post GS.

I remember Rocket stating early in 2002 that Maxy was the natural successor.

Funny thing, I reckon his rep has grown since he's been out of the team, especially with 'mini-Stewie' (Captain Brett Tiberius Kirk) turning himself around, by publicly saying that he has modelled himself on Maxy.

Funny that Tiger fans call him a soft receiver yet still call him Judas. Rrrriiigggghhhhttt.....