What sort of weather?

Bron
15th May 2003, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by Rafters
No local footy this week - canclled because of the "implement" weather

Maybe the inclement weather??

troy34
15th May 2003, 09:23 PM
I still find it hard to believe that a senior game of football is called off due to rain, for those of you with football backgrounds you will also find this hard to swallow, it is not the leagues fault it is the local councils who do not want to damage their grounds
Luffy

Charlie
15th May 2003, 10:43 PM
The last time I think it happened in the VFL/AFL was about 1902... what a crazy thing to do!

Norris Lurker
15th May 2003, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by Rafters
No local footy this week - canclled because of the "implement" weather A decision made by Jack "Captain Blood" Dyer and Douggie Hawkins.:p :p

Mike_B
16th May 2003, 12:18 AM
If you want waterlogged fields, go back to the Geelong v Roos game at KP (not sure if it was 2002 or 2001, think it mighta been 2001), now that was a wet day. Or even the Richmond v Freo game this year at the G.

I guess that's the difference between the AFL and local footy, as Luffy said, the local councils control the grounds for local footy, whereas for the AFL, its a commerical ground, and its all about business.

Rafters
16th May 2003, 09:46 AM
FYI, only two grounds in Sydney were available this weekend. Goanna Park being one of them. The other being an SFL ground (don't know which one??)

Our boys were all pumped up at training last night & really struggled with why they couldn't play on Saturday. At the end of the session they went to the area where there was a puddle & all tried doing "sliding speccies"

I wonder if this winter will be a replica of the great wet of 1989?

shearer
16th May 2003, 12:29 PM
i remember the big wet of 89 Rafters, from memory we only played 7 games.

Mike_B
16th May 2003, 01:25 PM
I remember that season too, in the NSWRL, a game between St George and Gold Coast at Kogarah was postponed due to the torrential rain washing away soil and exposing sprinkler heads, making it dangerous for the players.

Oscar
16th May 2003, 01:56 PM
Several years ago when East Coast were playing as the Baulkham Hills Falcons, I recall we played at St George (Olds Park) and it was so cold, wet and windy that:

The Reserve Grade teams simply swapped ends at half time and kept playing. The delay was about 30 seconds.

And in First Grade we lost a boundary umpire who was taken to hospital by ambulance suffering from hypothermia.

j s
16th May 2003, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by shearer
i remember the big wet of 89 Rafters, from memory we only played 7 games.
I remember '89 too but not for footy (or lack of it). I was trying to build a house at the time - took 3 months just to get the footings poured.

Phil Doyle
16th May 2003, 02:37 PM
Just got back from the North Coast (where Bellingen now has a footy ground!) - Footy in Katoomba is still on this Sunday at this stage (although that may well change). Starts at 1pm - Mountain Lions v CSU Bulldogs.

Loved the bit about the boundary ump. We had a goal umpire come down with hypothermia when I played at Cooma - and yes, it was at the end we were kicking to.

I've played in snow before and that's an experience!

Phil Doyle
18th May 2003, 04:48 AM
Today;s footy at Katoomba is cancelled