PDA

View Full Version : Best home and away games in 2005

cruiser
28th September 2005, 11:54 AM
What do people think were Sydney's three best home and away games this year? For me, in order, it would be:

1. Essendon Rd 19 (TD) (ending that hoodoo was hugely significant)
2. North Rd 21 (SCG) (thrashed our closest rival on the ladder, securing a double chance)
3. West Coast (SCG) Rd 17 (soundly defeated the almost unbeatable - at that time - ladder leaders)

Closely followed by the thrashing we handed out to Brisbane in Rd 20.

The last three months (July - Sept) have been fantastic.

Vivien
28th September 2005, 11:59 AM
Our best would surely have to be round 10 against St Kilda. After that game we turned it all around...

NMWBloods
28th September 2005, 12:14 PM
I would say Geelong rd 15. Up to that point we were playing in fits and starts, and were 8-6, and just looked like an also-ran.

From that time, we went 10-2 with those 2 losses at Adelaide by 7 points and Subi by 4 points, and all our wins by solid margins except for two of the finals.

Go Swannies
28th September 2005, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by NMWBloods
I would say Geelong rd 15. Up to that point we were playing in fits and starts, and were 8-6, and just looked like an also-ran.

From that time, we went 10-2 with those 2 losses at Adelaide by 7 points and Subi by 4 points, and all our wins by solid margins except for two of the finals.

Remember the posts around then? We were saying that it was the start of our horror month and we'd find out how goods we are. I guess we found out.

(And I tipped us to win all four of those - the Cats, Dees, Eagles and Crows - well, 3 out of 4 ain't bad.)

BonBon
28th September 2005, 12:18 PM
Rd 22 vs Brisbane.

- It was my Birfday weekend
- Ryan played well
- I met ROK Lobster
- I was given some Birfday pressies
- We won
- I got to go on an aeroplane

..That's why that game was my favourite.

Sanecow
28th September 2005, 12:20 PM
In retrospect I enjoy thinking about the Round 6 defeat at the hands of the Eagles. All those smiling Eagles fans. I hope they are treasuring the four points. :D

NMWBloods
28th September 2005, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by BonBon
Rd 22 vs Brisbane.

- It was my Birfday weekend
- Ryan played well
- I met ROK Lobster
- I was given some Birfday pressies
- We won
- I got to go on an aeroplane

..That's why that game was my favourite.
It's all about...

swans05
28th September 2005, 12:36 PM
Rd 3 - v Brisbane (GABBA) coming back from 6 goals down at 3/4 time and winning it after the siren
Rd 17 - v West Coast (SCG) made the trip from over here to watch my first scg match and was not disappointed
Rd 20 - v Brisbane (TS) total carnage of possibly the best team ever and tadgh's goal

cruiser

I thought about Geelong however the Cats were badly depleted by injuries.

Plugger46

Yeah I agree. The Geelong game was where I started to think we weren't a bad side. It was also the turning point for Buchanan.

swans05
28th September 2005, 12:38 PM
although we lost i liked the game we played in adelaide against the crows so just so hard and tough footy something like 80 tackles each typical bloods spirit

Charlie
28th September 2005, 12:41 PM
Round 15 v Geelong
Round 17 v West Coast
Round 21 v Kangaroos
Round 3 v Brisbane
Round 20 v Brisbane

In order.

NMWBloods
28th September 2005, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by cruiser
I thought about Geelong however the Cats were badly depleted by injuries.
Definitely. I meant to actually comment on that - it wasn't actually the win per se, as their team was missing a lot of players, but I think it seemed to engender a lot of self-confidence and self-belief for our guys, and our game improved from then on.

Charlie
28th September 2005, 12:42 PM
Definitely. I meant to actually comment on that - it wasn't actually the win per se, as their team was missing a lot of players, but I think it seemed to engender a lot of self-confidence and self-belief for our guys, and our game improved from then on.

That, and the fact that they actually showed a killer instinct that was lacking earlier in the season.

At the same time, I don't rate the Brisbane game nearly as highly. Brisbane simply stunk that day - at least the Geelong players that were there had a dip.

Agent 86
28th September 2005, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by Vivien
Our best would surely have to be round 10 against St Kilda. After that game we turned it all around...
Definitely the turning point. But the best game? (Not)
Our points for & against from then on is around 140%.
If thats "ugly", then bring it on!

NMWBloods
28th September 2005, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by Go Swannies
Remember the posts around then? We were saying that it was the start of our horror month and we'd find out how goods we are. I guess we found out.

(And I tipped us to win all four of those - the Cats, Dees, Eagles and Crows - well, 3 out of 4 ain't bad.)

I was more positive than Cruiser back then... (http://www.redandwhiteonline.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9670&perpage=20&pagenumber=2)

barry
28th September 2005, 01:08 PM
Round 1 v Hawthorn.

The only time we were top of the ladder before the big one.

R-1
28th September 2005, 01:14 PM
In hindsight Round 3 against Brisbane wasn't the great against the odds victory it seemed then, but it was still a good win.

It's really gotta be West Coast, the Kangas and Brisbane for me, the last couple months *have* been fantastic.

I didn't see the Rnd 17 Geelong game, I was drunk in Brisbane, so I can't comment on it.

cruiser
28th September 2005, 01:25 PM
I was more positive than Cruiser back then... (http://www.redandwhiteonline.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9670&perpage=20&pagenumber=2)
You bastard :p ;)

swans05
28th September 2005, 01:36 PM
heres my season in review
rd 1 v haw - we were top of ladder
rd 2 v roos - poor kicking very poor kicking
rd 3 v bris - huge comeback after the siren goal you beauty
rd 4 v adel - forgot that game actually
rd 5 v dees - more poor kicking
rd 6 v wce - sitting at the game coping it from those wce supporters from all angles
rd 7 v ess - running over the top of them
rd 8 v port - keeping the reigning premiers to 5 or 6 goals
rd 9 v dogs - winning 3 games in arrow and we were back
rd 10 v stk - we werent back anymore
rd 11 v carl - beating the blues and the umpires in the last qtr
rd 12 v freo - hall & o'loughlin show
rd 13 v pies - malthouse whinging about time keepers
rd 14 v rich - playing 1 qtr and just about beating them
rd 15 v geel - domination of a top 4 team at the time
rd 16 v dees - winning away against another top 4 team
rd 17 v wce - first trip to syd to watch an awesome display knock off team that was 15-1
rd 18 v adel - 4th game in arrow against quality opposition just fell short great game
rd 19 v ess - see rnd 7
rd 20 v bris - domination total domination kennelly goal, kirk mark
rd 21 v roos - 7 goals to 1 opening term they couldnt come back against us could they
rd 22 v haw - hall's un-selfishness, hodge hit on kirk but kirk right back up and got near on 30 touches
qf v wce - see rnd 6 said to them see you in the granny
sf v geel - nick davis one nick davis two nick davis three nick davis four
pf v stk - dominating last term 7 goals to 0 all round effort
gf v wce - 72 year drought is over awesome day just simply awesome

punter257
28th September 2005, 03:52 PM
rd 19 vs essendon at the dome
rd 17 vs weagles at the SCG
rd 20 vs brisbane at TS
rd 13 vs collingwood at TS

Lucky Knickers
28th September 2005, 04:09 PM
Round13 - enjoyed 1 point win after that appalling free agst Ablett on Buckley.

Actually was a great H&A season all round 'cause every game led us to the top of Mount Premiership!

SimonH
28th September 2005, 05:56 PM
Cheating I know, but the best half a game was R21 v the Roos.

The second half of that game was utterly mediocre, but during the first half I started believing for the first time that we could make the GF.

Sydney has always been able to grind out wins over more fancied and supposedly more 'talented' opposition (Port 2003, St K 2004, WCE R17 this year), but the first 60 minutes of the Kangaroos game was us ripping apart the 5th team on the ladder limb-from-limb like they were the Campbelltown U/13s. We were all class, as well as grunt.

Don't get me wrong, I was never footyhead, but after that game, I was a believer that our best could beat St K and WCE. Oddly, the one team that I never had any doubt we had the talent to beat-- Adelaide-- was the only team (apart from Richmond) that we didn't beat this year!

Xie Shan
28th September 2005, 06:37 PM
I'll stick to the games I've attended - it's easier that way :)

Agree - the first quarter in particular of the Roos game in Round 21 was just sensational footy. Exposed them for the pretenders they turned out to be in the finals.

The Cats game in Round 15 was the most enjoyable for me - it was terrific to see us finally break the shackles in the second quarter, at one stage we were 8 inside 50s for 8 goals - THIS was the season-defining break-out game that proved to be the catalyst for our run to the finals.

My first game in Melbourne - Round 19 v Essendon - was actually a pretty good contest. Not that pretty in the first half, it was great to see us in the 2nd half, respond to the challenge issued by a team playing on their home turf with nothing to lose, and kick 18 goals. Though the Bombers were pretty ordinary in '05 they were a bit of nuisance value towards the end of the H&A season.

S.U.D
28th September 2005, 06:52 PM
The game against Richmond at the G where we lost by 1 point:

- I think the last quarter showed our boys that when they wanted to, they can score quickly enough to win even though they didn't this time.
- First time since Rd.1 (Hawthorn doesn't count) when they had really scored quickly.
- You could really see it turn around after that, name me one bad game from that point on
- Gave us time on the G

anne
28th September 2005, 07:25 PM
I think they felt so bad losing a game that they should have won that they decided to never let it happen again. I had more faith in them from that game onwards.