PDA

View Full Version : lions angrey

footyhead
16th May 2003, 04:06 PM
I think Andrew demitriou is using this issue to rise his publicity in preparation for taking over from Jackson. If this is the sort of thing that is in store under his leader ship, then I hope somone else gets the job.

Lions angry over hypoxic 'slur'
1:27:30 PM Fri 16 May, 2003
afl.com.au

Brisbane Lions chairman Graeme Downie has angrily defended the club?s conditioning and medical staff over the use of hypoxic therapy - the controversial procedure that simulates high altitude training.

In a prepared statement, Downie said an implied slur on the medical and conditioning staff who have overseen the use of the hypoxicator for more than four years, was a 'gross insult'.

?To see AFL medicos Dr Peter Harcourt and Dr Harry Unglik quoted in today?s press as saying they are not sure if this is ethical is a downright disgrace," Downie said.

"It implies the practice is unethical, which is a stupid and irresponsible comment that could affect the reputations of some very good people,? he said.

?As a spokesman for the entire club, I feel a strong need to answer this ridiculous comment, and to defend the integrity of a group of people we hold in the highest regard.

Downie said the club was proud of its conditioning and medical staff and they are encouraged to continue their search for cutting edge techniques and philosophies.

?We have no problem with the AFL ruling on the spirit of the game. The so-called public image of the game is the League?s responsibility, and, as always, we will abide by their rulings without hesitation," he said.

"But we are very, very upset for the ethics of our conditioning medical staff to be questioned. This is something we will not tolerate.?

The use of hypoxic therapy, which has been employed by several clubs for several years, was brought into question earlier this week by AFL football operations manager, Andrew Demetriou, who said he felt it went against the spirit of the game.

Demetriou ordered the league's medicos to investigate the procedure.