PDA

View Full Version : Akermanis On The Footy Show

Cheer Cheer
16th May 2003, 04:34 PM
Well Jason Akermanis was on the Footy Show last night for those who didnt see it, and he was asked about a few of the Lions medical practices and ofcourse thrown in, he was asked about his link with sydney which he choose to ignore then got quite fidgety in his chair while staying on topic about the medical practices.
Then at the end of the interview he was asked again about sydney and he said goodbye to everyone and the interview was finished.
It must be noted that he was acting in a joking manner when all the sydney questions were thrown up to him, it looked as though he was just playing along with eddie and sam and co, however I think it was unnessary and he could have put all the rumours to the bin instead of perhaps building them up more.
I will leave it to everyone to make of it what you will, but these rumours are just not going away.

sharp9
16th May 2003, 04:45 PM
What a coincidence. I just logged on to post about Aker. Didn't see last night, though.

However, I did see the news and have to say that there is absolutley no chance Aker will come to Sydney....this is bloke who already has a huge history of blowing his mouth off and generally not being a team player and then last night abuses people who have the temerity to suggest that the use of artificial methods to boost EPO and red blood cells might be pushing the law and taking an unfair advantage.

What a w#@!*&!

Worse than that, though was the pathetic, whinging way he complained about being tagged out of his last couple of games "some blokes can't play, I mean they weren't even trying to get the ball, if they got a kick it was bonus, " says Saint Jason.

I'd call Crouchy's kick a bonus allright, wouldn't you? :D

There is no way in the bloody world that our Roosy would be interested in a 27 year old with an attitude like that. He can pack up his kit and forget coming to Sydney to escape Brisbane's salary cap restrictions!

We don't want you. As you showed on the weekend you don't have the talent or the ticker.

bricon
16th May 2003, 04:57 PM
Worse than that, though was the pathetic, whinging way he complained about being tagged out of his last couple of games "some blokes can't play, I mean they weren't even trying to get the ball, if they got a kick it was bonus, " says Saint Jason.

Hmmmmmm.

Acker 3 kicks 1 handpass 2 behinds

Crouch 9 kicks 4 handpasses 1 goal 1 behind

Acker was flogged!

Mike_B
16th May 2003, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by bricon
Acker 3 kicks 1 handpass 2 behinds

Crouch 9 kicks 4 handpasses 1 goal 1 behind

You're being awful kind to him bricon....he didn't score!!!!

bricon
16th May 2003, 05:13 PM
I musta been having a generous moment. :o

Reggi
16th May 2003, 05:36 PM
Shouldn't recruit him

2 Premierships 1 Brownlow AA selection

What does he have to prove.

Build a team with hunger for success IMO - would probably play some fair footy - try and get the next Akermanis.

IMO his and Nathan Brown's managers are just trying to boost their players salary offers by saying Sydney has an interest

penga
16th May 2003, 05:38 PM
i was the first person to want aker in sydney, however after sunday's performance i dont think we need him at all! if he is gonna come to us itll be preseason draft only... he is a lot more dangerous than what sunday suggested however, i think hed be a bonus to the side...

penga
16th May 2003, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by Reggi
IMO his and Nathan Brown's managers are just trying to boost their players salary offers by saying Sydney has an interest

didnt know there were brown links to us...

the bottom line is that they would be extremely expensive if they were to come to us... ie draft picks and salary

let em come to us rather than going after them i say, if theyre that interested in playing here

Plugger46
16th May 2003, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by sharp9

We don't want you. As you showed on the weekend you don't have the talent or the ticker.

You've got to be joking. He is allowed a couple of quiet ones surely, he is a superstar. "you don't have the talent", you can't be serious, the bloke has won a brownlow, and if he did happen to come to us he would bring the experience of success with him.

I know I'd have him.

I'll tell you something if we did recruit him, you would jump on the bandwagon very quickly.

Plugger46
16th May 2003, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by penga
i was the first person to want aker in sydney, however after sunday's performance i dont think we need him at all! if he is gonna come to us itll be preseason draft only... he is a lot more dangerous than what sunday suggested however, i think hed be a bonus to the side...

"pre-season draft" ... I don't think so Penga, that is complete and utter rubbish. A player of Aker's quality would not go through the draft. The bloke is an absolute gun.

If Aker, happened to declare that he wanted to go to sydney, your telling me you wouldn't be interested?

Charlie
16th May 2003, 06:41 PM
Well... as far as I see... the blokes we've got are doing a damn fine job as it is, without Aker. When Ryan O'Keefe can't even get into the squad of 25, I'd say we're travelling ok with what we've got.

penga
16th May 2003, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by Plugger46
"pre-season draft" ... I don't think so Penga, that is complete and utter rubbish. A player of Aker's quality would not go through the draft. The bloke is an absolute gun.

If Aker, happened to declare that he wanted to go to sydney, your telling me you wouldn't be interested?

its all about the expense! aker would demand a cool $450,000 as well as im sure we'd have to give a first round draft pick (or two) up for him... therefore we should play hard ball and not offer anything for him except maybe a 4th round draft pick :D and see where it goes from there... a second round draft pick wouldnt be too bad but we need to show some grit if this deal is to be struck

of course im interested!

id love to see a forward line like:

hf: aker hall davis
ff: schneider doyle o'loughlin

but whos to say that macleski or mcveigh arent the next aker!

id love him playing for the swans

penga
16th May 2003, 06:54 PM
oh yeah, i forgot about o'keefe... o'keefe definitely has a lot of potential... he could easily sustain that half forward spot!

the old swans (under rocket) would give up first and secound round picks up for him but lets see what we have before we go after aker and see how the draft looks as well... i think also that roosy is past recruiting a side but if aker is desperate to play for sydney (and not just for the money), we will give up a second round pick like what we did with davis...

in the draft we need a KPP backman and a ruckman... so if we have early picks, in theory, we should get better value for our money than what we'd get for getting aker and then seeing whats left in the draft

Plugger46
16th May 2003, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by Charlie
Well... as far as I see... the blokes we've got are doing a damn fine job as it is, without Aker. When Ryan O'Keefe can't even get into the squad of 25, I'd say we're travelling ok with what we've got.

IMO, Ryan O'Keefe should be there anyway, so as far as I'm concerned that's irrelevant. Yeah, our blokes are going alright, but Charlie surely you would love to add a bloke of his ability to the list?

We have won three good games in a row, but I don't think we're at the stage where we can say that we don't want a player such as Akermannis.

Plugger46
16th May 2003, 07:03 PM
oh yeah, i forgot about o'keefe... o'keefe definitely has a lot of potential... he could easily sustain that half forward spot!

the old swans (under rocket) would give up first and secound round picks up for him but lets see what we have before we go after aker and see how the draft looks as well... i think also that roosy is past recruiting a side but if aker is desperate to play for sydney (and not just for the money), we will give up a second round pick like what we did with davis...

in the draft we need a KPP backman and a ruckman... so if we have early picks, in theory, we should get better value for our money than what we'd get for getting aker and then seeing whats left in the draft

Under Rocket, we did give up high draft picks, to lure players to the club, however that was for blokes who I would regard as "just footballers", with the exception of Hall and Williams. The picks we have given away were a waste to a certain degree, but to give away a first or second draft pick for Akermannis, would be a good move I think.

The lions would never go for a fourth round draft pick for a player such as Akermannis, its ludicrous to even suggest it.

sharp9
16th May 2003, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by Reggi

Absolutely. As if we would give up anything for another small forward. I mean nnhaaaaah!!

penga
16th May 2003, 07:16 PM
The lions would never go for a fourth round draft pick for a player such as Akermannis, its ludicrous to even suggest it.

i know that fool! and its not ludicrous to suggest it as thats what we did with collingwood and davis, we need to play down our need for aker and offer a 4th round pick to show some grit!!! what would be ludicrous would be coming out straight of the blocks and offer em a first round pick... bargaining will be the key...

IMO, we are doing quite fine with our HF/midfield stocks... but we have shortages elsewhere and they need to be addressed for our long term success... recruiting aker jeapordises that by giving up a first round pick and not having that potential...

now if we were to go after mal michael, id be happy for a first round draft pick to go for him... as thatd address one of our stock problems

Charlie
16th May 2003, 07:19 PM
IMO, Ryan O'Keefe should be there anyway, so as far as I'm concerned that's irrelevant. Yeah, our blokes are going alright, but Charlie surely you would love to add a bloke of his ability to the list?

We have won three good games in a row, but I don't think we're at the stage where we can say that we don't want a player such as Akermannis.

But at what cost?

Doyle?

Fixter?

Kennelly?

Our first-round pick?

Our second?

No. Let's see where OUR guys get us before we go and recruit another high-priced show pony.

Plugger46
16th May 2003, 07:23 PM
i know that fool! and its not ludicrous to suggest it as thats what we did with collingwood and davis, we need to play down our need for aker and offer a 4th round pick to show some grit!!! what would be ludicrous would be coming out straight of the blocks and offer em a first round pick... bargaining will be the key...

IMO, we are doing quite fine with our HF/midfield stocks... but we have shortages elsewhere and they need to be addressed for our long term success... recruiting aker jeapordises that by giving up a first round pick and not having that potential...

now if we were to go after mal michael, id be happy for a first round draft pick to go for him... as thatd address one of our stock problems

Totally agree with the Mal Michael part as we do lack key backmen, and I really do rate him.

16th May 2003, 08:18 PM
I cannot believe people have already tempted to trade our first round pick. We have got only ONE in the last FOUR years for christ's sake. It is showing and it will show in the next year or two. Look at our debutees in year. Only Schneider has shown a bit to earn a Rising Star Nominee. The chance that Meiklejohn or Powell to win one this year is close to ziltch. For LRT and Sundquist, I hope they do but this is not a certainty. None of our debutees this year will come close to win the Rising Star Award.
We need to get more first round picks, NOT to trade them away.

The fact remains is that our list of talents is very thin. It would be crazy for the club to trade any of our younger players who have shown a bit (e.g. Kennelly, Goodes, etc...) for an older type. Same for the draft picks.

Those we could spare are peripheral at best and they will command pittance in the trades.

We wont be a major trader when the time comes, unless there is an absolute bargain in hard.

For getting Aker or Michael at a bargain, I say: "Keep dreaming, friends".

Louellyn
16th May 2003, 11:48 PM
And the ripples move outwards towards the future. Who would we have to give up for this exceptional player? Sure, his ego is very "American" in it's surety of talent and grandiosity, however he is, as Plugger46 states, a "gun player". I wish I was more au fait with the draft process to make a more considered opinion.

Let the cards fall where they may. As long as we don't lose Schneider.

Glenn
17th May 2003, 09:10 AM
Also the story is mentioned back page of todays Daily Telegraph about Akermanis possibly moving down the Pacific Highway, if this did eventuate it would be nice to see just a question of what we would lose in the way of players, draft selections etc