PDA

View Full Version : NRL Footy Show "GayFL" section

Louellyn
17th May 2003, 12:08 AM
Do any other NSW viewers take issue with the NRL Footy Show laughing at AFL with their "GAYFL" segment? I was pissed off when I saw it last week, and I set the video to tape the AFL Footy Show, so I'm pretty sure they don't slag off Rugby/NRL.

Rugby Union - Good! Rugby League - hmmm....

Maybe this is a reaction to the surge in AFL support, however such childish and stereotypical offensive "comedy" I thought had long gone.

Anyone interested in joining me for a bit internet political action against this? Me on my own is no good.

Cheers

penga
17th May 2003, 12:15 AM
fatty tried to give the swans a good plug... im pretty sure that they cant get anyone willing from AFL circles to represent the code and brereton was on there a while ago, so id say he pulled out and they got trent to fill in...notice that they gave brereton a good slagging...

i thought it was alright, it was mainly tongue in cheek and not having a serious go at us... at least thats how i viewed it

Benevolent Ert
17th May 2003, 12:16 AM
bit rich coming from a group of blokes who need little encouragement to frock up! :D

Beaussie
17th May 2003, 01:24 AM
Originally posted by Louellyn
Do any other NSW viewers take issue with the NRL Footy Show laughing at AFL with their "GAYFL" segment? I was pissed off when I saw it last week, and I set the video to tape the AFL Footy Show, so I'm pretty sure they don't slag off Rugby/NRL.

I no longer watch the crap the NRL Footy Show present each week. Wouldn't however be surprised with the "GAYFL" segment. They're so pathetic.

Out of interest do they discuss the up coming AFL games and the Swans or Lions chances or is it just seen as an opportunity to make fun of the NRL's biggest threat. Didn't they get pushed out of prime time in Brisbane a couple of weeks ago to make way for the Lions v Collingwood game?

Charlie
17th May 2003, 09:59 AM
Immature, offensive and justifies my prejudged opinion of that show, which I've never managed to watch for longer that 2 minutes...

footyhead
17th May 2003, 10:56 AM
Quite apart from them paying out on Aussie Rules, it is not ok to encourage homo-phobia on national TV in my book. Not when people are being very badley bashed on the streets of Sydney, becuase of suspisions of their sexual orientation. It is irrisponsible at least.:mad:

tez
17th May 2003, 11:18 AM
Its the Footy show in name only. There is not much NRL
material like they used to have and its mainly rubbish now.

Thats why I don,t watch it anymore.

Beaussie
17th May 2003, 11:49 AM
Fatty, Sterlo and Blocker have provided their support to anit homophobia campaigns in the past. The most notable being "Be a Legend, Tackle Homophobia" posters etc.

Very disappointing however, that they now how this pathetic GAYFL segement.

Jude4eva
17th May 2003, 06:01 PM
I am a regular viewer of the NRl Footy Show. I'd imagine that I have watched plenty more times than what the majority of you guys have, so read carefully.Dermott Brereton usually comes in to do the AFL on the Code Wrap segment (which also includes soccer and Union). Unfortunately he was unable to make it this week, therefore they had to get somene to fill in for him. This is where TRent the GAY filght steward comes in. What you call the "GayFL" was nothing like you have portrayed it. It wasn't actually a segment on its own. Becasue Trent is gay, he is obviously going to look at it from a gay point of view. The entire Code Wrap segment itself is usually a fairly serious one, but Trent is not a serious character.
You say that the NRL considers the AFL a huge threat. We nRL fans have nothing to fear from the AFL after what I saw from the Sanits and the Bulldogs the other week. I would also like to say that it is the AFL that is worried about the NRL. I live on the Central Coast and as many would know the NRL City & Country teams were here during the week. Some Swans boys also made an appearance and they went to my former high school. I was there for 6 years and we never had sportspeople of any kind come to the school. I just thought it wasw a HUGE coincidence that the Swans came to the Central Coast the same week that the NRL players did.

At this point I would also like to say "GO THE SWANNIES!"

motorace_182
17th May 2003, 09:23 PM
Not only did they promote homophobia but they also promote fights and violence in the junior levels. I watched it on Thursday, ABSOLUTELY PATHETIC. Not only does John have to geet his gear off to get an audience, they fail to mention Rugby League until the last 5 minutes when they attempt to cram in all the games and teams.
Johns came out as Trent, the gay flight steward, showing how irrelevant the show is to the apparent game it is named after, and bagged out AFL. Dont say they werent, its purely coincidental is it that he came out as Gay-FL when AFL is usually on.

Also on the enormously overweight and the but of every possible joke D Brohmans one and only segment League of Their Own they showed a tape of a little kid, about 6, who was attempting to thump a guy 5 times the size of him. The kid and to be taken off by his dad but the junior put up one hell of a fight and shrugged off the dad to go in for a second dig. The CHILD of SIX had to be dragged off by a parent by holding an arm and a leg. Now before showing this tape the obese host of the segment said that they "DID NOT CONDONE ANYTHING IN THE TAPE SHOWN". If not then WHY show it? That is the result of allowing incidences of Ben Ross headbutting the clenched swinging fists of Tallis repeatedly.

The show is most likely in its final year, it doesnt really help the cause when you have 4 former footballers trying to act as actors. If it was about league and non violent or didnt require Trent, Reg or Johns in a G-String every week it could be a decnt show

Slick Swans
18th May 2003, 05:46 PM
Dermett was actually on the afl footy show this week thats why he was absent

robbieando
18th May 2003, 07:42 PM
I watched it and it wasn't that bad, mostly bagging Dremie. In the past when Dermie was on the code wrap they were OK. Like come on they got Mario to do the soccer for code wrap a few weeks ago and yet none of you complained about his handling of Soccer

Sid
5th June 2003, 02:32 PM
Why are we worrying about this? Rugby league is a game with crap all skill, played by fat pricks who are brain dead and can only barge foward.
AFL is the biggest sport in australia, it has way more skill. Compare all the skills between these 2 games and its a laugh. Anyone can play league but not many ppl can actually kick a footy straight.
The footy show used to be good and it still kinda is. Let them go, they need it for entertainment. Its a shame that league lovers are so ignorant to other sports.

Swansinger
7th June 2003, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by Sid
Why are we worrying about this? Rugby league is a game with crap all skill, played by fat pricks who are brain dead and can only barge foward.
AFL is the biggest sport in australia, it has way more skill. Compare all the skills between these 2 games and its a laugh. Anyone can play league but not many ppl can actually kick a footy straight.
The footy show used to be good and it still kinda is. Let them go, they need it for entertainment. Its a shame that league lovers are so ignorant to other sports.

Spot on Sidney.
But in your last sentence I"d have added "MOST" after "THAT" and put a full stop immediately next to "ignorant" .

swan_song
8th June 2003, 09:50 PM
Rugby league footy show...never seen it, never missed it!!!

Black Power
4th July 2003, 05:13 PM
Rugby is great when it is on TV in Adelaide. It comes on at 3am and it helps cure anyone with insomnia.

It is a pathetic game and they must have a soundtrack of the crowd roars. How on earth does a crowd of 1500 when heard on TV sounds like there is 80,000 in the stadium?

skyrocket
7th July 2003, 08:09 PM
ive not heard this one, probably because i dont watch the nrl footy show (nor the eddy mcguire collingwood footy show) but i will have a look at it now. Lou you have to see the nrl for what it is- a minor sport playing to 2 capital cities only. The nrl is paranoid about the Swans succeeding in Sydney (and ignore that fact that AFL is the no 1 code in southern and western NSW). They are so dumb that they dont see that rugby union and soccer are their codes bigger threats than the afl. And as far as the gay thing goes...well Ian Roberts the champion NRL player who came out as gaysays in his book that he's not the only gay nrl player and the ones he knows were too scared to come out.
having said that I believe theres nothing wrong being gay 'cos being gay has nothing to do with sport!!!!

JF_Bay22_SCG
22nd July 2003, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by Louellyn

Cheers

Hope you got to read last week's issue of the Sydney Star Observer newspaper with the headline "Is AFL gay-friendly?" Interviewed were one J McCormack of Darlinghurst and J Farrell of Erskineville.

I'm trying to get a group going along the lines of the Pink Magpies at Collingwood.

To all the members of our community who follow the Swans in the numbers they do, I say watch this space.

JF

scurrilous
23rd July 2003, 12:05 PM
JF, I suggest starting a new thread for your recruitment drive. This thread is kinda poor imo.

JF_Bay22_SCG
23rd July 2003, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by scurrilous
JF, I suggest starting a new thread for your recruitment drive. This thread is kinda poor imo.

Who said I was 'recruiting' people mate. I'm just saying that I'm going to get something started.

Mentioning the word "gay" is neither something that is shameful or something that shouldn't be discussed.

IMO your reaction was quite poor mate.

JF

scurrilous
23rd July 2003, 05:01 PM
I'm PM'ing JF to let him know what I was really saying. What I PM him really isn't for the eyes of this board. Hopefully I'll receive an apology.

edit: pity my 200th post had to be in response to a moronic comment :( :)