PDA

View Full Version : If Dennis Commetti ever...

CureTheSane
18th May 2003, 06:16 PM
...EVER.... quotes the Eurithmics when calling the footy again, I am gonna track him down and .....

anniswan
18th May 2003, 06:49 PM
I still haven't seen the game, what did he say?

Ann

NMWBloods
18th May 2003, 06:57 PM
"Sweet dreams are made of this" when Maxfield kicked the critical goal to put us 28 points up.

robbieando
18th May 2003, 07:35 PM
And it wasn't the only stupid thing he said all day. He makes a living doing it.

NMWBloods
18th May 2003, 07:49 PM
I reckon he's one of the best commentators going around!

Cher
18th May 2003, 11:14 PM
Dennis Commeti is most definitely the worse commentator ever - i tried listening to k rock and watching the tele but it just didn't work .. and I think k rock were less biased too

NMWBloods
18th May 2003, 11:30 PM
You thought the Ch 9 commentators were biased in favour of Geelong...???

anniswan
18th May 2003, 11:39 PM
Brereton is the worst by far, he spends the whole time encouraging players to play like he did, a dirty little mongrel.

AS

floppinab
19th May 2003, 11:39 AM
He sometimes misses the mark but hits moreso IMO.
The one about the Hyphens hair was a beauty!!!

Cheer Cheer
19th May 2003, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by anniswan
Brereton is the worst by far, he spends the whole time encouraging players to play like he did, a dirty little mongrel.

AS

Good call AS, you could even tell his fellow commentators were getting sick of his constant remarks at dirty play. I havent seen him comment more on dirty play infact this year. I reckon he might get a rap over the knuckles from Ch9.

RogueSwan
19th May 2003, 04:15 PM
I did enjoy Derm's commentary on Magic during the Lions match. I didn't notice until he pointed it out how Magic walked about 5 steps to the right, when the ump wasn't looking, to improve his angle on goal. That is one of the things a commentator should do, point out things you have missed, not the bleedin' obvious like Commetti and Hudson.

NMWBloods
19th May 2003, 04:17 PM
That is one of the things a commentator should do, point out things you have missed, not the bleedin' obvious like Commetti and Hudson.

That's what special comments guys do. Commentators call the game.

Johnny Roberts
19th May 2003, 05:04 PM
In my book Commetti is clearly the best commentator.

Loved his comment about LRT- saying that LRT's hair would make a perfect "lie" for a 3 wood.

Only wish CH9 could clone him and get rid of Eddie.

CureTheSane
19th May 2003, 05:32 PM
Each to their own.

I used to hate Commetti's calls, now I can bear them.
I like Dermies comments, but I got really tired of hearing his comments re: Cressa yesterday.
In the end, I'll take anyone over Eddie :D

Plugger46
19th May 2003, 06:23 PM
Commetti is the second best caller in the country behind Tim Lane.

Dermie is the worst special comments bloke I have ever heard, he just talks absolute rubbish.

Everyone is forgetting how bad a caller Dwayne Russell is.

Eddie is just a disgrace and annoys the crap out of me.

liz
19th May 2003, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by floppinab

Hmm - did you get a look at Dermie's own hair during the breaks. As they say, those in glass houses...

At least LRT has the excuse of being a 19 year old lad rather than a late 30 something year old "lad".

Bron
19th May 2003, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by floppinab

That was a hoot!

NMWBloods
19th May 2003, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by lizz
Hmm - did you get a look at Dermie's own hair during the breaks. As they say, those in glass houses...

At least LRT has the excuse of being a 19 year old lad rather than a late 30 something year old "lad".

That was actually Dennis' comment (although Dermie liked it and ran with it later), but Dermie seems to becoming senile in his young age. Seems overly focussed of late on a bit of biffo.

TheHood
20th May 2003, 09:37 AM
I liked Dermot's work last year but this year he is grating on me and coming across as an overly critical know-it-all.

Denis is a superb caller but that "sweet dreams" stuff was a bit try hard.

Hudo is fine, he a great host of Fox League Teams on Thurs night. Keeps the wild Barnesy in check.

Tim Lane is the best going around and no argument can sway me to thinking differently.

Quarters is ok but he pumps it up artifically.

Wallsy is a great comments man but makes too many predictions about Brownlows, finals and games he will play.

SOS and Daikes are a joke

ALL the fox guys are just shocking. Jason Bennett is maybe the only one that calls the game without too much crap. Matty "wonderful player" Kennedy, Russell Greene, Terry Wallace (the worst), the WA boys (super biased), the SA boys (just dumb blokes in suits), they all suck! When my free-to-air only friends hear this commentary, they are amazed at just how aweful they are.

penga
20th May 2003, 03:29 PM
i watched the replay to hear what dermie had to say, as he definitely exposes things that i miss, i like his comments as with commetti, i reckon he is funny as

Dpw
20th May 2003, 08:30 PM
Hey guys its something he has to do for a radio station he must fit some words from a song into his call every week. I know its stupid but they pay him to do it. The viewers call in with lines and the best one Den has to call during the teleacast.

Roscoe
25th May 2003, 10:17 PM
On the bigfooty board there is a thread of Comettisms that is quite amusing.

No body has mentione d Dwayne Russel who is a "poor mans Cometti" with his humor

Agree the Fox comemtators are ****E

anniswan
25th May 2003, 10:26 PM
and he can't multiply

today I am sure he said when the swans were 22 pts down that it will take 5 goals to get them in front.

also heard somewhere today by a commentator wat the classic, they will have to keep scoring if they are to win. duuuuuurrrrrhhhh

Doctor J.
25th May 2003, 11:09 PM
Tim Lane THE BEST

Commetti, not even close, but miles ahead of the rest. Very Funny at times, and will usually come up with one good line per game

Diego
25th May 2003, 11:32 PM
Commetti is a legand. One of the best callers going around along with Tim Lane.

I cant believe some of you think he is bad news..honestly some of you need a sense of humour.

Lets get back to having Peter Landy and Sandy Roberts call games.. :o

penga
26th May 2003, 12:53 AM
i thought the "should be an umpire" was a ripper today

Xie Shan
28th May 2003, 12:19 AM
he also said "leo barry must have a bouncing clause written into his contract"

Bas
28th May 2003, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by Johnny Roberts
In my book Commetti is clearly the best commentator.

Loved his comment about LRT- saying that LRT's hair would make a perfect "lie" for a 3 wood.

That was very funny.

TheMase
29th May 2003, 12:18 PM
Tim Lane is the best by far IMO.

Jon
5th June 2003, 12:50 PM
I reckon Huddo is the commentator that gets my back up the most.

Here are some pearlers so far this season:

"and now Judd looks upfield for his man...and his 'BOY' is Sampi"

"And now the atmosphere begins to build, sounding like a cricket crowd"

(SCG Melbourne game as the Sydney chant started up)

"And so Melbourne extend their lead to 12 points, which in the context of this game looks to be a winning lead" (mid-way thru the THIRD qtr of the same game)

and going back a bit:

how about accusing Dunkley of taking a "dive" in the game v Rich at Docklands after being hit in the back and then smashed in the back of the head - and THAT after coming back from career-threatening kidney injuries

No. In the end ALL commentators end up talking **** at some point. It's kinda their job!

NMWBloods
5th June 2003, 01:25 PM
I think Huddo needs to read his dictionary. Tries to appear smart using words like lamenting and cajole, but uses them in the wrong context.

bartwawa
5th June 2003, 08:17 PM
Commetti has been challenged by a Perth radio station to use a soecific song line each week. The lines are put forward by the general public and I beleive Cousins gets to choose wich one is used on the Friday before the game.

Another one he has used is "It's a fine line between pleasure and pain" it totally stuffed up the other commentators as they had no idea what he was talking about.:D

Plugger46
7th June 2003, 01:24 AM
Seems everyone agrees that Tim Lane is the best caller going around. Commetti's call about Leo Barry's contract must be based on how many bounces he takes was sensational - loved it.

Dermie needs to track down a dictionary, because he uses these big words, that just don't support what he is saying, he uses everything in the wrong context. "Dumb" people think he is intelligent by the words he uses, when infact he is just plain stupid.

His comment about Rhys Shaw the other night was a shocker. He said "Shaw can play tall on Cockatoo-Collins, not that Cockatoo- Collins is that tall." Made absolutely no sense.