PDA

View Full Version : must hope for top five!

nicko18
18th May 2003, 06:36 PM
with the ladder currently as it stands, i believe sydney would have a home final with Adelaide v Freo having to play in Melbourne.

Would finishing 3rd or 4th guarantee a home final as well???? (hey, i'm not that optimistic!!! i'm just wondering though)

Reggi
18th May 2003, 06:40 PM
Spot 6 & 7 gives you home final week one - and away final week 2 (if you win week one).

Finish 3rd or 4th Guaranteed a home final (if you are a Victorian club) in either week 2 or 3 of the finals.

Pretty amazing to think we are even some hope. It is very ver early in the season. Given today you'd think an injury run to Schauble or Saddington would have us in a lot of trouble.

nicko18
18th May 2003, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by Reggi
Spot 6 & 7 gives you home final week one - and away final week 2 (if you win week one).

Finish 3rd or 4th Guaranteed a home final (if you are a Victorian club) in either week 2 or 3 of the finals.

Pretty amazing to think we are even some hope. It is very ver early in the season. Given today you'd think an injury run to Schauble or Saddington would have us in a lot of trouble. how does finishing 7th ensure a home final??

i thought it was as follows (home team 1st)

A) 1st v 4th
B) 2nd v 3rd

C) 5th v 8th (elimination)
D) 6th v 7th (elimination, to be played in melb if 1st, 2nd & 5th are interstate)

Loser A v Winner C
Loser B v Winner D

Reggi
18th May 2003, 06:49 PM
my mistake should have read 5 & 6

nicko18
18th May 2003, 06:54 PM
by the way, which venue do we play at in the unlikely event of a home final?

Charlie
18th May 2003, 06:56 PM
I'm 90% sure it's Stade Oz.

robbieando
18th May 2003, 07:21 PM
Its Stadium Australia thanks to the AFL's contract with the venue. Still our record there is not bad at all.

Rizzo
18th May 2003, 10:11 PM
We'll need luck with injuries to do it and the young guys have to keep up the form. However, my prediction at the beginning of the year as for the Swans to make up the 8. With current form and good luck they could do more than that.

blinddog
18th May 2003, 10:18 PM
But there is the AFL contract with the MCG that states that they must play 4 finals at the MCG, now if you have all 6 interstate teams (in positions 1-6)who wins out? Does the Telstra Stadium contract in Syd override the MCG contract? Or maybe Sydney will be the lucky ones and Adelaide or someone else will be shafted.

nicko18
19th May 2003, 10:05 AM
i can just see a massive chance to develop support in sydney with a home final being squandered having to play at the MCG.

j s
19th May 2003, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by blinddog
But there is the AFL contract with the MCG that states that they must play 4 finals at the MCG, now if you have all 6 interstate teams (in positions 1-6)who wins out? Does the Telstra Stadium contract in Syd override the MCG contract? Or maybe Sydney will be the lucky ones and Adelaide or someone else will be shafted.
The existing policy (I don't think it is an actual "rule") is that the lowest ranked team misses out which means that (assuming all games go according ladder position)....

Week 1: Team 6 misses out
Week 2: Team 4 misses out
Week 3: Team 2 misses out
Week 4: Team 1 misses out

Other than week 1 all games will be non-vic teams only so at least the MCG will be neutral (and we have a shorter flight than most and no timezone difference).

Of course, any upset results will significantly change the above.

AFAIK StadeOz only gets the final if is to be held in Sydney and none of the above applies