PDA

View Full Version : Which team has the worst song?

goswannie14
10th October 2005, 07:18 PM
After hearing the WCE song ad nauseam in GF week, I decided that they're song is worse than Freos. IMO other lousy songs are Port Powers "til we're top top top" and Good old Collingwood for ever...just because it is Collingwoods. What do you think?

port1978
10th October 2005, 07:48 PM
Freo Heave Ho's the worst, followed closely by the Eagles club song.

Glenn
10th October 2005, 07:48 PM
Weagles with GoEagles Go...arggggghhhhhhh

port1978
10th October 2005, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by Glenn
Weagles with GoEagles Go...arggggghhhhhhh

LOL, yeah that's what you tend to hear more than their own club song at Subiaco.....SGIO....Go Eagles Go.....

Xie Shan
10th October 2005, 07:56 PM
To be fair to the Port Feral on the board, Port only chose their song because the Port Magpies one was taken by the time they came into the AFL ;) :D

The Weagles one I don't mind, but the lyrics sound really pathetic.

Freo's? I don't know what to say, easily the worst song for mine.

Charlie
10th October 2005, 08:03 PM
Weagles.

It's an advertising jingle, not a club song.

Sanecow
10th October 2005, 08:06 PM
Not enough banjo for you, Charlie?

goswannie14
10th October 2005, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by Sanecow
Not enough banjo for you, Charlie?
I know...thats why I hate that one. I just love the banjo in the middle of Cheer, cheer...

Ruda Wakening
10th October 2005, 08:23 PM
Adelaide and St Kilda.

goswannie14
10th October 2005, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by Ruda Wakening
Adelaide and St Kilda.

What's the deal with the Crows - they have 2 verses in their song - as do the Power. It's just not right:p

liz
10th October 2005, 08:41 PM
Freo and WC easily the two worst.

Of the rest, Carlton's is also terrible - it's just such a slow dirge of a song.

Norris Lurker
10th October 2005, 08:49 PM
West Coast and Caaaaarlton.

Mike_B
10th October 2005, 09:10 PM
How can anyone not like the banjo solo - makes it sound like we could be the Hicksville Rednecks!

Freo's is just plain stupid, the Eagles isn't much better, and you can see how embarrassed the Port players are when they get to "we'll never stop stop stop till we're top top top".

Jeffers1984
10th October 2005, 09:15 PM
Don't see anything wrong with the Port song, definately one of my favourites. It's a great song to march to me thinks.

Worst is easily the Weagles, it's the pits.
Freo's is so funny it's cool.

dimelb
10th October 2005, 09:17 PM
Easily Freo's. I have a theory that they lose when they should win because they can't stand singing it live on TV.

BeeEmmAre
10th October 2005, 10:16 PM
I'd like to know why all the teams with extra verses don't actually sing them.
The Eagles, Dockers, Power and Crows don't sing their second verses but the Kangaboos do.
I also believe Geelong has a second verse but I've never heard it.
Anyone have an old Cats supporter friend that knows it?

In answer to the question - the Boos song is the worst, its a straight rip off of Victoria's State of Origin song.

OldE
10th October 2005, 10:54 PM
Sorry, but I love Carlton?_it's the only club song one might strip to. Not that I've tried, of course.

I used to hate the Freo song, until I recently went to a football conference where they discussed the social and cultural origins of club songs. The speaker noted that the Freo song uses much nautical imagery and language, which fits with the "Docker" image.

West Coast, on the other hand, is stupid. I despise it. We sing it with gusto nonetheless.

Oh, and as for favourite club songs (other than Cheer, Cheer), I am quite fond of Richmond and I love Essendon's song. Gotta love the Preeeeeeeeeeeeeeemiership.

goswannie14
10th October 2005, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by BeeEmmAre
In answer to the question - the Boos song is the worst, its a straight rip off of Victoria's State of Origin song.
At the risk of being wrong...I think it may be the other way around. The Canberra Kangaroos song has been the same as long as I can remember...and that is before the VFL came up with the State of Origin concept.

Refried Noodle
10th October 2005, 11:11 PM
Worst: yeah well everyone know Port, Freo and WC need to come up with somthing decent. Good club songs are old songs which are changed to have lyrics that are meaningful, theirs aren't.

"We're the Eagles....and we're here..............." Stirring stuff that! haha

Apart from CC, I dont mind the first (rarely heard) verse of the Roos song. Quite impressive when alot of gusto is put into.

Fav club song of all: ACT Brumbies.

swansrule100
10th October 2005, 11:12 PM
favourite non swans one is probably the tigers

i think freos is the worst

but then they dont get to sing it much :P

Damien
10th October 2005, 11:20 PM
Freo and Carlton easily. West Coast's "flying 2nd" isn't the worst song, but is hardly a footy song.

Totally agree, is pretty magic to witness a packed MCG yell out "yellow and black"....can't stand it when they play us though!

westernswan
10th October 2005, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by port1978
LOL, yeah that's what you tend to hear more than their own club song at Subiaco.....SGIO....Go Eagles Go.....

HAHAHA i remember that little jingle now, what a corpratised club no heart, no passion no nothing (well atcually to be fair they do have runners up medals:p )

Plugger46
10th October 2005, 11:24 PM
Port's is easily the worst I reckon.

BonBon
10th October 2005, 11:58 PM
Port Adelaides, Freos and WCEs are dreadful but I like listening to them. I don't know why.

I purely hate Richmonds and St Kildas because they're boring. St Kildas is basically one line repeated over and over again!

I love Melbournes. But, my favourite all-time theme song is Brisbanes.

liz
11th October 2005, 01:17 AM
Originally posted by swansrule100

I dislike the Richmond song on principle - so many Tigers fans seem to think that everyone likes their's the best, even over their own club's song.

Although I strongly dislike the team, I do have a bit of a soft spot for the Bombers' song. It sounds just like a 1920s music hall ditty - priceless!

swansrule100
11th October 2005, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by liz
I dislike the Richmond song on principle - so many Tigers fans seem to think that everyone likes their's the best, even over their own club's song.

Although I strongly dislike the team, I do have a bit of a soft spot for the Bombers' song. It sounds just like a 1920s music hall ditty - priceless!

i dont mind the bombers except the word premiership sounds all wrong in it.

I think the demons song is ok and geelong!

Clarence have a good song

S.U.D
11th October 2005, 01:12 PM
The Roos' song gives me bad flashbacks:(

If not for that, I would have said that would be one of my favs other than our own.

Worst, Freo. Was at one of their games a couple of years ago at Subi when they played the Lions. Pre-game, out comes a float that looks like a boat with sailors on it, looked like they stole it from the Mardi Gras. Most cringeworthy moment at the footy I've experienced.

Plugger46
11th October 2005, 01:16 PM
Love the Richmond song.

punter257
11th October 2005, 01:39 PM
yeah i like the tiges song as well especially the "yellow and black" part

i cant stand the eagles song and freo's is just a disgrace

i have a soft spot for the footscray song and i enjoyed listening to the lions when they beat collingwood in 02 and 03 :D

goswannie14
12th October 2005, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by Refried Noodle
Fav club song of all: ACT Brumbies.
Nah...for me it has to be the "BRuce Club" on Monty Python...

This is the wattle
Its the emblem of the land
You can stick it in a bottle
You can hold it in your had
AMEN
:D

Yuri H
12th October 2005, 09:54 AM
As a mere newcomer to AFL and still learning my way around, I haven't heard very many of the songs yet - but I do confess, as I watched the GF and the Eagles ran out onto the field, I stared at the screen and wondered who'd plugged in a "Terrible Forgotten Hits From the 1980s" cd accidentally.

Now I'm very curious to hear Freo's, though, if it can manage to be mentioned in the same aghast breath as the Eagles'.

tantrum
14th October 2005, 08:31 AM
Nice one Yuri!

But I can confirm the Freo song is the worst and makes the Eagles song sound like one of Beethoven's finest.

BeeEmmAre
16th October 2005, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by goswannie14
Nah...for me it has to be the "BRuce Club" on Monty Python...

This is the wattle
Its the emblem of the land
You can stick it in a bottle
You can hold it in your had
AMEN
:D

That Bruce Club tune reminds me of the Australian cricket team's song - very simple but very effective.

Under the Southern Cross we stand
A native of our native land
A sprig of wattle in our hand
Australia - YOU ******* BEAUTY

What is the Brumbies' song?
Can anyone pass on any songs from the other, less important games being played in this country.

PS. Fell asleep watching the first Test of the Who Cares Cup last night. And I thought I was a sports nut.
I suppose I did play golf and cricket in one day - and I'm hardly a fitness freak.

Sid
16th October 2005, 10:57 AM
Oh when the saints go marching in
oh when the saints, go marching in
oh how i want to be with st kilda
oh when the saints go marching in

repeat...

So boring....

treespirit
16th October 2005, 07:45 PM
Any one that has a guitar rather than a banjo isn't worth the playing.

Pommie Swannie
19th October 2005, 11:05 PM
can't decide between the weagles and port. Actuall, having seen weagles fans sing it with genuine passion for their team, rather than port fans ignoring their club song and continuing to spit on opposition fans...

port's song is the worst!!

Refried Noodle
20th October 2005, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by BeeEmmAre
What is the Brumbies' song?

WITH PLEASURE!!!

Ahh my beloved Brumbies (Champions 2004 and Swans Premiers 2005, my life is complete lol).

Ok it goes to the tune of Click go the Shears:

From the heart of mountain country, where the Brumby reigns supreme,
From the country's capital there comes a rugby team,
We keep the spirit going, as we stick it to the foe,
And crush the opposition with the final telling blow.

Chorus:
Stick to your guns boys, play with pride,
Hit it up the middle then spin the ball out wide,
Standing at the coalface, taking on the best,
Proud to be Australian with a Brumby on our chest.

We are the Brumbies, wild and free
Tough and exciting is what we try to be,
We run the ball around on our way to victory,
And they'll never ever tame us,
'Cause we are the ACT.

Chorus

Actually a pretty good song and the changed lyrics are actually meaningful, dunno why they got rid of the Rugby Choir a few years ago. Haven't heard the song in years.

If you're getting to good chants:

Tune of 'Go West':

You're **** and you know you are.

Repeat x100.

R-1
21st October 2005, 02:19 PM
It's a good song but I'm struck by the incongruity of things like "tough" and "wild" and "free" then at the end "we are the ACT".

Tough wild Canberrans? Hmmmmm.

And I say this as a Raiders fan.

The Undertaker
22nd October 2005, 11:37 AM
Yep,i agree on West Coast's one too.

Hawthorn's one annoys me too.It sounds like a song from a children's TV show.

Does anyone remember the one the Kangaroos used a couple of years ago,"Kanga-rrooooosss hey!Kanga-roooooosssss,Kanga-roooosssss,hey!Kangarooos!Kangarooooosss!"It was sung to the tune of Gary Glitter's Rock and Roll Part 2.

It was blue!It was white!It was really **********e!;)

If you think any of the AFL club songs are annoying,then i suggest listening to some of the NRL ones-You ain't heard anything yet!

"Roosterman,Roosterman.I wanna be a Roosterfan!":mad:

Captain
22nd October 2005, 04:07 PM
Gee I actually like the West Coast song and am so supprised that the majority of people hate it.

For me, Freo's and Port's are definitely the worst.

Love the Tigers song as well.

Refried Noodle
22nd October 2005, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by R-1
It's a good song but I'm struck by the incongruity of things like "tough" and "wild" and "free" then at the end "we are the ACT".

Tough wild Canberrans? Hmmmmm.

And I say this as a Raiders fan.

LOL

Well tough wild free brumbies...

Not so tough and free when you get a helicopter and a sniper with 1000 rounds......still sitting on the fence about that one. ;)

As for pathetic team songs:

Australia - they need to get somthing new and different. Advance blah blah fair gives me the shi7s.

tez
22nd October 2005, 09:42 PM
Without doubt, Essendon have the worst. Carlton and
Adelaide aren't too bad.

Lucky Knickers
22nd October 2005, 09:47 PM
Australian International Rules?

goswannie14
22nd October 2005, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by singaporeswan
Australian International Rules?
I think theirs is the best by a long way...nothing beats the National Anthem:D

Lucky Knickers
22nd October 2005, 10:53 PM
I think theirs is the best by a long way...nothing beats the National Anthem:D

What can I say....it's my anthem and I sing proudly. That doesn't stop it being a terrible dirge with odd words.

goswannie14
22nd October 2005, 11:28 PM
As a muso it certainly doesn't appear to be a dirge...NZ...now there's a dirge...and what about God save the Queen?

Dave
28th October 2005, 10:34 AM
WCE's is a disgrace. "we're the big birds flying high" WTF???

There is no more to it than declaring that they "are the eagles, flying high"

If you've ever seen them try to sing it after a win it's embarrassing to say the least.

0 out of 10.

hammo
31st October 2005, 04:16 PM
Port, Weagles and Freo are all embarrassing.

Brisbane's was pretty bad too until they adopted Fitzroy's Les Marselles.

goswannie14
31st October 2005, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by hammo

Brisbane's was pretty bad too until they adopted Fitzroy's Les Marselles. I don't remember the Bears song...then again we never heard it!!!;)

swans4ever
1st November 2005, 07:02 PM
i hate the dockers, eagles & power songs!!!! they r so annoying

Mark Busuttil
6th November 2005, 04:50 PM
St.Kilda's without a doubt - once verse (a chorus) repeated over & over.
Also I hate the Bulldogs new song - they should have stuck to their old one

The Boot
12th November 2005, 11:46 AM
Are any of the club songs capable of being sung to the tune of Advance Australia Fair? I seem to remember hearing somewhere that almost anything - from classic pop tunes on - are able to be sung to the strains of the "dirge".

Reminds me of the Spicks'n'Specks show where they sing a "book" to some pop tune. Hilarious.

Oh, yeah .. and to answer the thread, I do like hearing Richmond's supporters bellowing "YELL-O-AND-BLACK" around the ground. Let 'em brag about it being right up there. It's going to be a few years before we hear that at 5pm on the last saturday of september. And worst has GOT to be WCE .. ptuii ...

Snowy
14th November 2005, 10:25 PM
I don't remember the Bears song...then again we never heard it!!!;)

Dare to be a Bear to some horrible old tune. Truly loathsome that one.

tantrum
15th November 2005, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by hammo
Brisbane's was pretty bad too until they adopted Fitzroy's Les Marselles.

I'm studying French at the moment and we had an exercise where they would play some sounds and we had to say which day - relevant to French culture - it was related to.

So, they play the French national anthem and I think I'm meant to say Bastille Day, but all I could think of was "Brisbane Lions, Brisbane Lions, we'll kick the winning..." etc. Which got me thinking about Grand Finals (2001-3), which got me thinking about GF 2005. I think I probably started paying attention again 10 minutes later.

I quite like it as a club song.

Snowy
15th November 2005, 09:50 PM
Isn't it "LA MARSEILLAISE"?

tantrum
16th November 2005, 01:14 AM
Originally posted by Snowy
Isn't it "LA MARSEILLAISE"?

Yes, in France, but maybe people from Fitzroy can't say that.

[Disclaimer: I lived in Fitzroy for many years]

Edit: the lyrics are pretty bloodthirsty! http://www.ambafrance-us.org/atoz/marseill.asp

Wardy
16th November 2005, 06:45 AM
Apart from Cheer Cheer I love "Its a grand old flag........." the Melbourne song is excellent its a positive song..

I'm not fond of the "we're the happy team at Hawthorn" I mean how can one be happy wearing those colours!