PDA

View Full Version : Was getting rid of Ricky Mott a good decision?

Dave
13th October 2005, 09:39 PM
Maybe...

From realfooty.com:

http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2005/10/11/1128796527551.html

PAGAN'S RETREADS
Mick Martyn: '02 national draft (ex-Kangaroos). Retired end '03. 13 games.

Jordan Bannister: pick 69 in '03 national draft. Ex-Essendon. 22 games, five in '05. Still on list.

Glen Bowyer: pick 63 in '03 national draft (ex-Hawthorn). 7 games. Retired end '05.

David Clarke: traded end '03 from Geelong. 12 games. Delisted '05.

Daniel Harford: traded end '03 from Hawthorn. Retired end '04. 9 games.

Brett Johnson: traded end '03 from Hawthorn. 32 games. Delisted end '05.

Cory McGrath: traded end '03 from Essendon. 31 games, 19 this year. Still on list.

Digby Morrell: traded end '03 from Kangaroos. 32 games. Delisted end '05.

Ricky Mott: pick 57 in '03 national draft. Delisted end '04. 2 games.

Heath Scotland: traded from Collingwood. 41 games. Still playing.

Nick Stevens: pre-season draft, 42 games. Still playing.

David Teague: traded by Kangaroos. 43 games. Still playing. Won '04 B & F.

EQUATION: 13 players. 6 remain.

goswannie14
13th October 2005, 09:46 PM
I could never work out why we got rid of him. After all we kept LRT and look how he is playing now:)

Sanecow
13th October 2005, 10:00 PM
He was an overweight smoker. Possibly also a d*ckhead. Had to go.

warlock
13th October 2005, 10:49 PM
Thats how much ive been paying attention. didnt even know he had left! :cool:

goswannie14
13th October 2005, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by warlock
Thats how much ive been paying attention. didnt even know he had left! :cool:
LOL only a couple of years ago;)

giant
14th October 2005, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by Sanecow
He was an overweight smoker. Possibly also a d*ckhead. Had to go.

Oh great. You've just destroyed the last vestiges of hope to fulfil my boyhood dream to play for the Swans.

goswannie14
14th October 2005, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by giant
Oh great. You've just destroyed the last vestiges of hope to fulfil my boyhood dream to play for the Swans.
LMAO:D

Sanecow
14th October 2005, 11:59 AM
How old is the oldest player in the AFL? I think I might recently have missed my opportunity. Lawn bowls in the Commonwealth Games is the only faint possibility of sporting glory ahead.

goswannie14
14th October 2005, 12:00 PM
How old is the oldest player in the AFL? I think I might recently have missed my opportunity. Lawn bowls in the Commonwealth Games is the only faint possibility of sporting glory ahead.
I could try another comeback at 43:D

Just get my place ready in the x-ray cue at the local hospital:p

ScottH
14th October 2005, 01:21 PM
How old is the oldest player in the AFL? I think I might recently have missed my opportunity. Lawn bowls in the Commonwealth Games is the only faint possibility of sporting glory ahead. Don't they have an Agriculture Show in Perth??

Jeffers1984
17th October 2005, 04:03 PM
I remember the thread when Mott got delisted. Everyone went ape ******** and had no idea why he was given his marching orders.
People were posting praise threads on our future rucking duo of Doyle and Mott. :p

motorace_182
19th October 2005, 09:19 PM
Great call to sack him Roosy! He looked really good in early to mid 2002, but I remember at the final aftermatch of that year when Kel and Dunks retired, and Mott was really ticked off that he was never getting a game under Roos. He mentioned something along the lines of preferring Eade, but had to start earning his spot in the off season.
Also that night someone asked Jason Ball who he preferred to play under and that he was near the end, he cut loose at them! Good on him to, would be without a premiership if it wasnt for him.

Dave
19th October 2005, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by Jeffers1984
Everyone went ape ******** and had no idea why he was given his marching orders.

I thought it was quite well known that he was overweight and lazy.

Charlie
19th October 2005, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by Dave
Maybe...

From realfooty.com:

http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2005/10/11/1128796527551.html

PAGAN'S RETREADS
Mick Martyn: '02 national draft (ex-Kangaroos). Retired end '03. 13 games.

Jordan Bannister: pick 69 in '03 national draft. Ex-Essendon. 22 games, five in '05. Still on list.

Glen Bowyer: pick 63 in '03 national draft (ex-Hawthorn). 7 games. Retired end '05.

David Clarke: traded end '03 from Geelong. 12 games. Delisted '05.

Daniel Harford: traded end '03 from Hawthorn. Retired end '04. 9 games.

Brett Johnson: traded end '03 from Hawthorn. 32 games. Delisted end '05.

Cory McGrath: traded end '03 from Essendon. 31 games, 19 this year. Still on list.

Digby Morrell: traded end '03 from Kangaroos. 32 games. Delisted end '05.

Ricky Mott: pick 57 in '03 national draft. Delisted end '04. 2 games.

Heath Scotland: traded from Collingwood. 41 games. Still playing.

Nick Stevens: pre-season draft, 42 games. Still playing.

David Teague: traded by Kangaroos. 43 games. Still playing. Won '04 B & F.

EQUATION: 13 players. 6 remain.

Martyn was only ever a stop-gap. Wasn't expected to last more than about half a season, so it's not really right to include him. Barnaby French - the other 2002 pickup and presumedly the 13th player you've considered - has worked out ok. Not a superstar, but they traded a draft pick for him that they would have only ended up losing in the whole salary cap schemozzle. Worked out reasonably well, considering.

The 2003 intake really was huge - they brought up big going with quantity over quality (not much choice considering they had bugger all to trade with). They would have been hoping about half of the 11 worked out. So far, they have five left (although I found the Morrell and Johnson decisions surprising), with Bannister not really the sort of quality that will get them off the bottom. Stevens, Teague and Scotland have already shown that they are part of the solution for the Blues, and McGrath is giving good service.

Four out of 11 is a pass, albeit only barely.