PDA

View Full Version : TV rights 2007-11

Dave
14th October 2005, 01:23 PM
I hope the 7-10 consortium wins out.

From the HUN:

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,16916192%255E20322,00.html

"Crucial to the granting of the next rights is broadcasting of matches live, or near live, into New South Wales and Queensland, particularly night games on Friday and Saturday.

The Seven-Ten consortium would best appease the AFL on this front, but Nine, which has heavy NRL commitments in those states, would argue Foxtel is the best northern states AFL carrier in the crucial timeslots."

So basically those of us without Foxtel can get stuffed.

If they are serious about AFL it must be broadcast free to air at a reasonable time on Friday nights. No more of this 11.30pm crap.

Foxtel = Murdoch = League, which is why, I guess, that if you want to watch AFL live in the northern states they think you should have to pay for it.

Lucky Knickers
14th October 2005, 01:40 PM
This snippet from the Age intrigues me. Who would commentate on SBS? After their job with the Ashes - I'd love them to have a go.

"..It has been suggested Nine could join forces with Foxtel and each televise four games each or that Nine could bring SBS on board to take over its more problematic free-to-air fixtures."

Source (http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2005/10/13/1128796658045.html)

swansrule100
14th October 2005, 01:42 PM
just get friday night on live in tasmania and ill be happy!

swansrule100
14th October 2005, 02:37 PM
i just read that nine will win because the channel 7 bid has been rejected

and they will need another 200 million to win

sbs to show live friday night in sydney though so good for some!

goswannie14
14th October 2005, 04:47 PM
I like the sounds of 9/SBS going it together. 10 is hopeless when it comes to football coverage and as for 7 they couldn't get it right in40+ years.

Should go back to the "good ol' days" when every station had a replay on Friday night.

Just had an idea each station can televise one game on each weekend!!!!;) :p But knowing the commercials they would telecast them all against each other:(

dimelb
14th October 2005, 09:18 PM
I detest 9 - their camera work has me screaming to get back off the ball so we can see the field positions. They are more interested in glam close-ups, strained expressions etc. Despite the GF stuff-ups (no coaches' box etc.) 10 generally covers the game better IMHO.
I'd like to see a deal with 7 and 10, or throw SBS into the mix, perhaps especially in Sydney and Brisbane - they did a great job with the tests.

Mike_B
14th October 2005, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by dimelb
throw SBS into the mix, perhaps especially in Sydney and Brisbane - they did a great job with the tests.

Remember SBS only had a studio coverage that was theirs, the rest was the UK Ch 4 feed and commentators. Would they be picking up another channel's feed to re-broadcast into Sydney and Brisbane or would they be covering it themselves - two very different scenarios.

timbo
15th October 2005, 01:21 PM
Would they be picking up another channel's feed to re-broadcast into Sydney and Brisbane or would they be covering it themselves - two very different scenarios.

they would just be rebroadcasting channel nights friday night call. and then on saturday nights probably foxtels broadcast.

i like channel nines sunday football broadcast. good commentators.

BeeEmmAre
16th October 2005, 10:33 AM
Bring back Bruce!!!!!

Now that would be SSSPPPEEEEECCCCIIIIAAAALLLLLL

goswannie14
16th October 2005, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by BeeEmmAre
Bring back Bruce!!!!!

Now that would be SSSPPPEEEEECCCCIIIIAAAALLLLLL
NO NO NO I want to vomit...just seeing it written down ticks me off. He might be a nice guy but I can't stand it when he commentates!!!:eek:

Mike_B
19th October 2005, 02:18 PM
Seems SBS has said "Thanks but no thanks" to the offer from Ch 9. Basically the game doesn't have a full national interest (ie Sydney in particular and to a lesser extent Brisbane) which poses an issue to their scheduling and potentially alienates viewers.

THERBS
19th October 2005, 02:33 PM
You can't trust Nine with live sport. They cut their cricket coverage to cope with the infotainment they call news and current affairs, they don't show league live and i'm convinced they simply bid just to block Seven. They were going to revolutionise coverage. yeah, with Steady calling Collingwood games and blatantly showing bias.

Damien
19th October 2005, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by Mike_B
Seems SBS has said "Thanks but no thanks" to the offer from Ch 9. Basically the game doesn't have a full national interest (ie Sydney in particular and to a lesser extent Brisbane) which poses an issue to their scheduling and potentially alienates viewers.

Such a load of crap from Les Murray's mouth yesterday - wish he would just say that Soccer is the only football code they have interest in promoting. (Which is fine, but just say it)

Didn't realise a team from the Ukraine V a team from Spain in a competition thousands of miles away magically captured a 'full national interest', yet taking on 1 AFL game a week would destroy the broadcaster.

ROK Lobster
19th October 2005, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by goswannie14
NO NO NO I want to vomit...just seeing it written down ticks me off. He might be a nice guy but I can't stand it when he commentates!!!:eek: Nice guy? What was that rumour about Bruce and young African Olympian in Sydney in Septermber 2000?

big bear
19th October 2005, 09:20 PM
Main point I am concerned with is Friday Night Footy at a decent time in Sydney. Games finishing 2AM Saturday are a pain. Also saturday night footy live or near live in Sydney. Surely the home of the champs deserve this. Come on AFL think about we long suffering northern fans.

ScottH
20th October 2005, 07:00 AM
Originally posted by ROK Lobster
Nice guy? What was that rumour about Bruce and young African Olympian in Sydney in Septermber 2000? I heard he is was seen leaving a well known Australian metro male swimmers room, quite early one morning.

goswannie14
20th October 2005, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by ScottH
I heard he is was seen leaving a well known Australian metro male swimmers room, quite early one morning.
He also killed Harold Holt;)

Charlie
20th October 2005, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by THERBS
You can't trust Nine with live sport. They cut their cricket coverage to cope with the infotainment they call news and current affairs, they don't show league live and i'm convinced they simply bid just to block Seven. They were going to revolutionise coverage. yeah, with Steady calling Collingwood games and blatantly showing bias.

But... but... they had the Telestrator, and even Skycam! Who could forget Holden Half-time? Best of all, in the Legends match, you could actually talk to the players during the match! How cool!

THERBS
20th October 2005, 05:44 PM
But... but... they had the Telestrator, and even Skycam! Who could forget Holden Half-time? Best of all, in the Legends match, you could actually talk to the players during the match! How cool!

That's true! And I also forgot how funny Phil Gould's eyes are when they spin as a lead in to his time tunnel segment. He's a natural comedian! I take it all back now. Nine are tops!

cruiser
28th October 2005, 12:06 PM
Crap from James Packer regarding his desire for Ch 9 to secure the AFL TV rights: http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,17050124%255E20322,00.html

If Ch 9 were so committed to AFL, why are they showing the 2nd game of the International Series on TV tonight in Sydney commencing at 1.20am. Its a complete joke. Last week it was suppose to start at 12.10 but was 30 minutes late in starting.

It will be a disaster for AFL in NSW if Ch 9 were given the sole broadcasting rights. CH 9 Sydney hates AFL and has NO commitment to it whatsoever. It is totally biased towards NRL and shafts AFL at every opportunity. Surely the AFL can see this.

THERBS
28th October 2005, 01:40 PM
I reckon Nine have fallen several rungs in terms of covering sport. They used to have a professional viewer-oriented approach. Now they're driven by internal policies, namely:

we must go to the News at exactly 6.00 no matter what is happening in our live sport broadcast
we must always air A Current Affair
we cannot show live NRL games except the GF and State of Origin
we cannot show Friday night AFL games at a decent time

Their rationale for bidding for TV rights for sports is to stop someone else from getting them. Once they have the rights they're not that worried about how they use them. Eddie's promise that Nine was going to revolutionise AFL coverage fell flat. Their commentary line-up still is sub par and the coverage leans more towards the buffoon 'Footy Show' style.

My answer is that whenever a broadcaster has the rights to cover it Live and they don't then another channel is lined up to do it. I say use it or lose it.

goswannie14
28th October 2005, 01:44 PM
I can understand what you are saying, but in the "AFL states" the coverage is excellent, but you wouldn't want to be an NRl fan down here.:confused:

hammo
1st November 2005, 11:48 AM
When the Packers say they want something they usually get it. I can't see them giving up the AFL rights as it means they will have no sport for the southern states over winter. Expect them, with Foxtel, to price 7/10 consortium out of the market.

I don't know how the Friday night issue in Sydney will be resolved however. Live on Foxtel might be a compromise but it hardly satisfies the AFL's supposed priority in giving more exposure to the game in Sydney and Brisbane.

Plus 9 has committed to 2 Friday night NRL games from 2007.

9 would also have to commit to showing all Saturday night Swans games live or on short delay in Sydney. Anything else would be a major backward step for AFL in NSW.

goswannie14
1st November 2005, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by hammo
When the Packers say they want something they usually get it. I can't see them giving up the AFL rights as it means they will have no sport for the southern states over winter. Expect them, with Foxtel, to price 7/10 consortium out of the market.

I don't know how the Friday night issue in Sydney will be resolved however. Live on Foxtel might be a compromise but it hardly satisfies the AFL's supposed priority in giving more exposure to the game in Sydney and Brisbane.

Plus 9 has committed to 2 Friday night NRL games from 2007.

9 would also have to commit to showing all Saturday night Swans games live or on short delay in Sydney. Anything else would be a major backward step for AFL in NSW. Isn't there talk that there are going to be more than one channel per network once we go digital??? I amy be wrong, or it may be wishful thinking, but I recall hearing something along those lines a few years ago.:confused: If that were the case it may ease the problem that we are faced with.

Mike_B
1st November 2005, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by goswannie14
Isn't there talk that there are going to be more than one channel per network once we go digital??? I amy be wrong, or it may be wishful thinking, but I recall hearing something along those lines a few years ago.:confused: If that were the case it may ease the problem that we are faced with.

There is a broader spectrum available on a digital signal which would allow multi-channelling for the networks, however I believe the government isn't too keen on allowing this.

goswannie14
1st November 2005, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by Mike_B
There is a broader spectrum available on a digital signal which would allow multi-channelling for the networks, however I believe the government isn't too keen on allowing this. Thanks...I wondered if I'd been hearing voices.......:confused: