PDA

View Full Version : Something's up with the crowds

liz
19th May 2003, 03:11 AM
I've just noticed in a match report that today's crowd was apparently 22 and a bit thousand. Have to confess I'm surprised because it looked much smaller than the last two home games, both of which were officially around 24,000.

Today's crowd figure could have been right- but in that case they've significantly understated crowds at earlier games. Certainly the ground looked more than half full in those.

Reggi
19th May 2003, 08:16 AM
I guess maybe the poor weather may be responsible but considering two good wins - that would have to be a fair disappointment.

nicko18
19th May 2003, 10:01 AM
i guessed 22,000. it was very sparse around the concourse bays 1-6. there were also a lot of empty seats in the o'reilly stand, walters and messenger stands. the brewongle stand was fairly crowded, as was the rest of the concourse and the members stand.

EMJ
19th May 2003, 11:22 AM
SCG Trust or turnstiles are responsible for crowd numbers - never seem correct in my opinion. Game against Melbourne - we were packed in - in Brewongle - so could not understand that crowd not being 30,000 at least - quite packed in many areas.

The stated figures never match up at all.

swan_song
19th May 2003, 12:35 PM
Quite disappointing crowds really...the chardonnay set haven't jumped back on the bandwagon yet....still tinkling their glasses in preparation for the ruggering world cup. Personally, I think about 21- 25,000 is our "core" supporter base and anything over is a bonus. A couple of points though. As with the diisappointing MD crowd...1pm starts are not popular. In our case, for instance, they wreck family Sunday mornings...that extra hour makes a lot of difference...
A small thing, but I think the Swans also do themselves a disservice with their emails etc warning of traffic and parking problems (this time cos of a rugger match next door). Some people I'm sure, would say 'oh bugger it, II don't want that hassle, I'll watch it live on telly instead.'
Also, I personally don't believe that the product (AFL) is promoted well enough in Sydney, which likes flashy, glitzy things (some would say shallow :)) a la the Tina Turner/My Team promos for the ruggering league.

Angelic Upstart
19th May 2003, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by swan_song
Quite disappointing crowds really...the chardonnay set haven't jumped back on the bandwagon yet....
Three wins in a row - two of them against last years grand finalists: what do the Swans have to do to get those people back on the bandwagon?:( Maybe the club should look at targetting its marketing efforts/membership drive towards people who are going to show a bit more loyalty and commitment, and leave the chardonnay set to their...um...chardonnay.

From the TV coverage that crowd figure looked very inflated. Large blocks of empty seating, zero atmosphere. It looked like we'd gone back to the bad old days when we were scraping to get 10-12,000.

Damien
19th May 2003, 02:00 PM
It was def. 22 thousand - the capacity is now 46000, so I would be confident a further 20 thousand would have packed it.

Mothers Day and the weather did not help. The next home game is against Essendon out in westie land.....a few wins on the road could setup a record crowd (perhaps).

Beaussie
19th May 2003, 05:56 PM
Perhaps the Swans should request Saturday afternoon and night games next season. It has been said many times by fans and the administration that the 1.10pm start to satisfy Channel 9's NRL committments is not popular with Swans fans.

Saturday afternoons or nights could see Channel 10 broadcasting all Swans games live. Who needs Channel 9 anyway, they're just as bad if not worse than Channel 7 ever was.

TheHood
19th May 2003, 06:10 PM
Collingwood get a crap load of night games, so I don't see why we can't.

I must admit, the early Sunday games leave me a bit flat in the late afternoon and for some reason the boys never seem too revved up either.

And there is no feeling better than celebrating a win on a Saturday night. Although it just don't help my alcoholism any.

j s
19th May 2003, 06:43 PM
There was no-one sitting within 20 metres of Des (except Jay).

Is he now a crowd jinx as well?

redunderthebed
19th May 2003, 07:04 PM
i think the point Liz was making related to the crowd count and I agree.Looking at yesterdays crowd , I would have calculated that it was substancially down on the Lions game but the official figures did not show this.I think that the members numbers yesterday were well below last week. But there did seem to be less paying punters overall. The official numbers indicated 1000/2000 less yesterday than last week and i would agree (on previous games) that 23,000 would be right ....SO previous games were understated?If so , WHY?

Charlie
19th May 2003, 07:44 PM
The 1 o'clock games annoy me. I know the club requests Sunday games... but they shouldn't be that early... grr the TV deal wins out again!!!

motorace_182
19th May 2003, 07:47 PM
There were roughly the same amount. The atmosphere was down a lot, mainly due to the weather putting everyone on a downer but also there were a lot more people hiding in the rafters where cover was assured than last week

Bron
19th May 2003, 09:21 PM
I guessed 21 - 22,000 and was surprised it was more. Agree with what's been said - I thought it was well fewer than the last couple of games. The crowd was quite flat, particularly in the last quarter. It was very hard to get any cheering going.

1.10pm is a lousy time to start .... this is really sinking in .... it quite messes up the day .... and we have friends that we meet up with .... too early to catch up for lunch, too early to do dinner .... and then when you get home, the replay isn't on for a few hours! I much prefer the saturday night games when I can go to the AM, then rock on home in time to watch the replay (of course that's when we win).

robbieando
19th May 2003, 10:20 PM
Problem with the 1pm starts is if the club asked for and got 2pm starts the games wouldn't be on free to air in Melbourne and that would futher piss off the Melbourne based fans.

I said it before the club should look at playing some games at 2pm Saturday live around australia on 10. Maybe this brake up

ANZAC Day 7.40pm - 1 Matches
Saturday 2.00pm - 2 Matches
Saturday 7.00pm - 5 Matches (Including our 3 Stadium Oz Matches)
Sunday 1.00pm - 3 Matches

Its worth a try

scurrilous
20th May 2003, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by redunderthebed
....SO previous games were understated?If so , WHY?
Free tickets?

Bas
20th May 2003, 10:43 AM
It continues to amaze me why there are so many reserved seats empty. When you consider the amount of reserved seating, it seems people in Sydney are happy to pay for their reserved seat then not turn up to any games.

The crowd was still about 8,000 more than the NRL "bockbuster" next door.

Seems AFL is NOT the "place to be seen" in Sydney at the moment. That's probably good because the SCG staff can't cope with serving small crowds let alone a decent size crowd.

Bron
20th May 2003, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by Bas
Seems AFL is NOT the "place to be seen" in Sydney at the moment. That's probably good because the SCG staff can't cope with serving small crowds let alone a decent size crowd.

Absolutely, if there were 30,000 in attendance, the food and drink queues would stretch into the SFS!

I actually think they have enough staff ... they just don't have a process, nor common sense.

nicko18
20th May 2003, 07:41 PM
trouble with 1pm starts.... you miss the meal of lunch. and on sunday, lunch is for many a family affair/bbq etc. those still wanting to have their lunch have no chance of making the game (and why should they bother?? it's live on TV anyway).

having the game start around 2:30pm on a sunday would allow people to finish up their lunch around 1-1:30 and still have a chance to all go out to the match.

but night games are even better. have dinner around 6, get to the ground around 7:15, and if we win, there are plenty of joints that would suffice till the wee hours of the morning, or if you'd prefer, go home to bed, after spending all your energy stressing and cheering etc..

there's something about night games, the excitement lasts. i reckon 1pm games, there is a real flat patch in the late arvo (maybe it's just me though)

nicko18
20th May 2003, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by Bas

last week was the first game i've been to all year. i've been working weekends so finding it a bit hard to get out to them. but i was amazed with the percentage of the crowd dressed in red and white. i'd say near 80%. more people are gearing up for the games than what there seemed to be last year.

motorace_182
20th May 2003, 08:54 PM
The customer service at SCG is a disgrace. If you were to compare that to the splendid service recieved at all SA games where the staff go out of their way to make sure your time is a pleasant one, its a clear diference. THere are supervisors, strict rules, acknowledgements for good workers, good pay and an enjoyable time at SA. SCG staff on the other hand dont wnna be there. Couldnt give two hoots if you even ventured into areas of where they shouldnt be etc.

The food availability is just as bad. And why cant 20,000 people leave the city in under 2 hours?

Rod_
20th May 2003, 09:12 PM
We play for the TV audience - You won't get the Rugby League on after the finish of the AFL in we start later. This is effecting our Supporters and the time we can get to the game. It has impacted on my kids, who have part time jobs and are unable to get from work to the game in time. Therefore they have let their membership drop.

You have to remember that it takes an hour to get anywhere in Sydney and to have the Sunday Lunch meal and get to the game is impossible for most. To eat the food at the SCG is not preferd by most. I feel the time to start has effected the attendance by up to 20%. We could get an extra 2-4000 people at the game if it was later on a Sunday....

penga
21st May 2003, 02:19 AM
for us that live on the central coast it doesnt matter what time it starts as it 'ruins' sunday anyway... in fact the earlier start is better as it means u get home at a reasonable time before work on monday... it is quite an exhausting day, once done...

Angelic Upstart
21st May 2003, 02:38 PM
Interesting the number of people who don't like the 1pm Sunday start. If these posts are representative of Swans supporters in general, then the club has a problem on its hands.

Is the club aware that fans don't like the 1pm start? If not, maybe one of the groups representing the supporters needs to let the club know. Same thing goes for letting the club know about dissatisfaction with SCG catering/service.

Beaussie
21st May 2003, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by Angelic Upstart
Interesting the number of people who don't like the 1pm Sunday start. If these posts are representative of Swans supporters in general, then the club has a problem on its hands.

Is the club aware that fans don't like the 1pm start?

The Swans administration has long known many supporters don't like the 1pm start. It was first brought to their attention when Channel 7 requested 12.45pm starts in order to broadcast double headers and the crowds quickly dropped off. The administration has acknowleged this many times however the live broadcast into NSW is something that is to important to just discard.

Clearly, the TV deal wins again, as always.

Mark
22nd May 2003, 06:39 PM
You have to be kidding about the food & drink outlets at SA, maybe the ones that are open !

At the carlton game last year there was one bar servicing the whole of the lower stand, and two food outlets, with the pizza place shut completely.

Stadium pricing and food outlets are the big cost factors out there and why they try to reduce the number open to cut costs. Basically until we can garantee 55,000 plus each game we will continue to lose so much money on this farcical venture.

JF_Bay22_SCG
22nd May 2003, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by swan_song
Quite disappointing crowds really...the chardonnay set haven't jumped back on the bandwagon yet....still tinkling their glasses in preparation for the ruggering world cup. Personally, I think about 21- 25,000 is our "core" supporter base and anything over is a bonus. A couple of points though. As with the diisappointing MD crowd...1pm starts are not popular. In our case, for instance, they wreck family Sunday mornings...that extra hour makes a lot of difference...
A small thing, but I think the Swans also do themselves a disservice with their emails etc warning of traffic and parking problems (this time cos of a rugger match next door). Some people I'm sure, would say 'oh bugger it, II don't want that hassle, I'll watch it live on telly instead.'
Also, I personally don't believe that the product (AFL) is promoted well enough in Sydney, which likes flashy, glitzy things (some would say shallow :)) a la the Tina Turner/My Team promos for the ruggering league.

Swansong has indeed touched on several interesting and very well-considered points. I also thought 21-21K was about what the crowd was, which considering the huge efforts our team has put in is a tad disappointing. It definitely looked 4K short of the Melbourne crowd to me.

But there are several reasons for Sunday's crowd being as low as it is.

-It had been raining considerably over the last few matches. This is very much the detractor of having live match coverage into Sydney against the gate. I personally know several members who were nervous about the rain and didn't come on Sunday. They said they'd rather be safe than sorry, so took the "safe" option of watching it from the their lounge room. I nearly bit their heads off and called them a disgrace to their club!:D

-media coverage. Unlike in years gone by the NRL is really on people's lips this season. If it's not Penrith's victory in front of a full house against St George, it is Manly's "Golden Point" victory over Parramatta. The best we have managed to do this year is to get a small heading at the top of the back page. I'm not saying the Terror is doing it deliberately, but the effect is that every Tom Dick and Harry is talking about the NRL and NOT the Swans. Hype brings easily another 5000-10000 through the game. How we generate it is very difficult to crack. Hopefully in State of Origin weeks we might get more of a go when there are less games of a weekend.

-lack of marketable stars. Last year we had Kelly and Lockett. Even despite playing little they were on everybody's lips. To the initiated Adam Schneider is that guy this season. But to those reading the Terror there really is that lack of star emphasis that we have always had in recent seasons.

-pathetic AFL marketing. The NRL has got into the psyche of the fans with their "That's my Team" slogan. Contemporary, cathy, bright, working class, this song helps create interest even within the younger "going out" brigade.

What does the AFL have in return, 2 stupid codgers in red MCG coats rambling on about this and that. Even more disturbing is that Wayne Jackson and co are saying how satisfied they are with the ads. Sydney people will take one look at that and will turn the TV off with derisive looks on their faces. Jackson seriously has to look at getting another "Unbelievable" campaign going. "Catchy marketing for the AFL-I'd like to see that!"

Yes, a "Simply the best"marketing campaign is a tad jingoistic and tacky. But you are talking about the Los Angeles of Australia-simplistic, superficial, loud, cheap, and tasteless. I wish we had more of a "Boo a Roo"thing stirred up this week. Even if the Melbourne people hated it or viewed it is bemusement, the Sydney public loved it. And it got people TALKING about the game!

Even the Swans ads are terrible this year. Whereas in years gone by we had "Swannie, how I love ya?" etc etc, this year we put up with Goodsey trying to jump for a footy. ZZZZZZ BORING!Meanwhile the Sydney Kings are on the back are nearly every bus and cab in the CBD area. Who is to blame for this, the muppets in the Swans office, as frigging usual!!

Thank God they HAVE done something good by getting in bed with Nova96.9 and Merrick and Rosso in the morning, who are naturally more than responsive to the footy being Victorians themselves. Katrina Blowers and Marto's mentioning the Swans does help. But I personally don't think it is enough.

Thoughts?

JF

JF_Bay22_SCG
22nd May 2003, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by robbieando
Problem with the 1pm starts is if the club asked for and got 2pm starts the games wouldn't be on free to air in Melbourne and that would futher piss off the Melbourne based fans.

I said it before the club should look at playing some games at 2pm Saturday live around australia on 10.
Its worth a try

But it could flop horribly mate. Sydney is very very different to Melbourne culturally Robbie. Purely and simply Saturday afternoon has NEVER been a footy day in Sydney. And in all probability it never will be. Many young people are working. Heaps of families are lugging kids to soccer footy or netball. People are mainly chilling after a hard week at work.

The NRL has taken away all Saturday day matches because of poor attendences. With live TV people would be more tempted to lounge around in front of the TV that go to the game. The ABC NSWRL matches always had this effect.

Interestingly with West Lakes Mall open across the road the SA clubs' crowds (especially Port's) have been dramatically affected by Saturday afternoon footy. So it is not just Sydney crowds who don't like Saturday at 2pm. I think that Brisbane would be similar.

Saturday night matches are definitely my favourites. It is more of an event, you can go out afterwards if you want. Lots of people dress up, as it is a night out. The atmosphere is inifinity better. There is not this feeling that you have to restrain yourself because you have to go back to work the next day.

Me, well I don't care if we play at 3 in the morning. I'll be there, with flag at the ready. But others in a city where people don't need an excuse to be distracted are not so adament about giving up established routines to come to the footy at a time that doesn't suit them.

Thoughts?

JF

JF_Bay22_SCG
22nd May 2003, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by Angelic Upstart

Is the club aware that fans don't like the 1pm start?

Do you want me to bring that up at the next SSI meeting? I think it is time that supporters actually made a stand about the fact that the game should be for US, not the drongos watching on Channel Dots.

Those who have said that we'd get 4-5000 more by playing at 2pm may not be that far off the mark. This is HURTING OUR CLUB
-financially through less memberships and general match-day supporters.

-less atmosphere at games, with many people not being able to get parked and into the ground before 1:10. Alot of people are still filing past me at 1:30, and are often stressed and irritated. (The yuppies are just oblivious to everything:mad: )

This also leads to losses for the SCG Trust in terms of match-day catering expenditure.

I know as a fact that in Germany the fans had huge success with their "Pro 15:30" campaign.

It is high time we started telling those in Jolimont reeling in Channel 9 and 10s millions that a little more consideration should be given to actual matchday supporters, especially in developing markets such as Sydney and Brisbane.

JF

PS:- Er ah Bron, when is the next SSI committee meeting? I'd like to advertise it here as early as possible so that interested individuals who may wish to have a look can do so.

Bron
23rd May 2003, 10:34 AM
Next SSI Meeting is Thursday 12 June at 6pm.

At the last meeting we decided to shift locations each meeting to give people an opportunity to come and for us not to be perceived as focused in one area. Accordingly, the next meeting will be held at my place in Lindfield - PM me if you wish to come and I'll give you the address.

Angelic Upstart
23rd May 2003, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by JF_Bay22_SCG
Do you want me to bring that up at the next SSI meeting? I think it is time that supporters actually made a stand about the fact that the game should be for US, not the drongos watching on Channel Dots.

I think it's worthwhile bringing it up at the meeting. The SSI can serve a useful function acting as the intermediary between fans and club - and this is the sort of issue that needs to be aired with the club.

The club might argue that the TV coverage is an important marketing tool in that it raises the Swans' profile amongst neutral TV viewers, gets them interested in the code, etc. Well, that's fine, but the club needs to have a plan as to how to convert that interest into new memberships or getting people to go to the game, ie advertising during the game special memberships that are targetted at those people - a discount rate that entitles them to a couple of games a season. That sort of thing.