PDA

View Full Version : Was it a Decision That Won a Flag

ihamilto
25th October 2005, 02:25 PM
Well after watching yet another replay of the grand final on Sunday I could not help but think just how vital was the decision by Jason Ball to play on in season 2005 his ruckwork in the final series was a telling factor in us finally grabbing that premiership cup, had he retired at the end of 2004 who knows if the result would of been the same I suspect maybe not.
cheers Ian:)

Sanecow
25th October 2005, 02:26 PM
Absolutely. He was vital. We wouldn't have made the Grand Final without him. There is a big task ahead of Doyle and the medical staff to keep him match fit all next year.

ScottH
25th October 2005, 02:30 PM
In the 3rd term of the PF, he casually jogged from the middle of the ground to the defensive goal square, arrived in time to take a timely defensive mark. He had the know how. These things are captured on TV.

ihamilto
25th October 2005, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by #######
Absolutely. He was vital. We wouldn't have made the Grand Final without him. There is a big task ahead of Doyle and the medical staff to keep him match fit all next year.
Yep it is going to be interesting to see how our ruckman fair next year while Jolly and Doyle may be the mainstays I will be keeping a close eye on Andrew Erickson his mobility and marking around the ground were okay in the reserves matches I saw him play this year if he can add on about 7kgs over the preseason he may yet figure in the seniors next year.
:) Ian

Plugger46
25th October 2005, 02:47 PM
He was important all year. Definitely a better player than I ever gave him credit for.

goswannie14
25th October 2005, 02:48 PM
He was amazing with his tap ruck work, the two instances of note were in the semi - to Davis to win the game, and in the GF to Buchanan to put us in front. That sort of ruck work is rare in this day and age of bash the ball as far forward as possible. Let's hope he can give Doyle some pointers to assist his development.;)

Nico
25th October 2005, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by Plugger46
He was important all year. Definitely a better player than I ever gave him credit for.

Another one eh P46. That list of yours,"I didn't give him much credit" is getting rather long.

Roscoe
26th October 2005, 07:26 AM
Well said Nico

What about the terrible trio of Crouch, Barry & Matthews ? P46??

Plugger46
26th October 2005, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by Roscoe
Well said Nico

What about the terrible trio of Crouch, Barry & Matthews ? P46??

I'm still definitely not a Mathews fan. Only one 't' in Mathews Roscoe.

Crouch - Yeah good footballer. He was average when I was bagging him. That's a long while ago now Roscoe. You're probably due to find some new material.

Leo - Absolute superstar.

Plugger46
26th October 2005, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by Nico
Another one eh P46. That list of yours,"I didn't give him much credit" is getting rather long.

That's Rich Nico.

You were always a great lover of Mathews, Crouch and Barry weren't you? Turn it up.

Add to them:

Kirk
Kennelly
J.Bolton
Dunkley
Mooney
Schneider
Fosdike

I'm sure there have been more, and there's absolutely no doubt you would have bagged Ball at one point.

cruiser
26th October 2005, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by Plugger46
Only one 't' in Mathews Roscoe.
:rollseyes:

Roscoe
26th October 2005, 02:19 PM
Hey p46 - I am no great fan of benny -

he can be frustrating because he takes so long to get rid of the ball from a mark/kick.

but look at his good points

he can tag - did a great job on Fletcher

he can sweep up across half back

he is a good tackler - kills the ball when we are under the pump

he is great at the deadball/stoppages - rarely beaten

he is the teams "cork" - fills in the gaps

he is not soft and he rarely misses a game

if he can get inside Schneiders head and harness his talent
( more than Ben has himself) and rid him of his FIGJAM attitude
you will do me

Ben you are a champion team man

Thunder Shaker
26th October 2005, 04:41 PM
I like how I've got a new way to end arguments about some players. Ben Mathews, PREMIERSHIP PLAYER. Enough said!

Woohoo, and isn't it GOOD that I can post that! Yeah!