PDA

View Full Version : Top 50 Goals 2005

Big Al
31st October 2005, 11:52 AM
afl.com.au has counted down the top 50 goals of the 2005 season. The Swans scored 3 places in the top 10. They were as follows

#8 Nick Davis v Geelong
#6 Tadhg Kennelly v Brisbane Lions
#5 Adam Schneider v West Coast

Any thoughts?

giant
31st October 2005, 11:53 AM
Yes. You should quickly edit Tadhg's name before the Irish grammar police get hold of you.

Big Al
31st October 2005, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by giant
Yes. You should quickly edit Tadhg's name before the Irish grammar police get hold of you.

LOL Yes they might find out where I live. :D

Sanecow
31st October 2005, 11:56 AM
:rolleyes:

woo
31st October 2005, 11:58 AM
I am assuming this is very one eyed as in no other players of other teams get a look in?

desredandwhite
31st October 2005, 12:07 PM
I thought the best goal for us this year was Barry Hall's goal against West Coast at the SCG - brushed off 2 defenders, then dribbled it in from a tight angle.

Go Swannies
31st October 2005, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by woo
I am assuming this is very one eyed as in no other players of other teams get a look in?

There are other teams?:eek:

woo
31st October 2005, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by Go Swannies
There are other teams?:eek:

apparently!

DST
31st October 2005, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by desredandwhite
I thought the best goal for us this year was Barry Hall's goal against West Coast at the SCG - brushed off 2 defenders, then dribbled it in from a tight angle.

His goal from 55 out in the last 1/4 of the GF was better.

One of the most important goals of the year and not easy from that distance.

DST
:D

Big Al
31st October 2005, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by woo

If im not mistaken this is a forum where we discuss matters pertaining to the Swans and as such I wanted reaction to the Swans goals that made it into the top 10.

woo
31st October 2005, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by Big Al
If im not mistaken this is a forum where we discuss matters pertaining to the Swans and as such I wanted reaction to the Swans goals that made it into the top 10.

yes sir

Big Al
31st October 2005, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by desredandwhite

Didnt get listed in the top 50. It was a great goal though.

Schneiderman
31st October 2005, 12:12 PM
afl.com.au has counted down the top 50 goals of the 2005 season. The Swans scored 3 places in the top 10. They were as follows

#8 Nick Davis v Geelong
#6 Tadhg Kennelly v Brisbane Lions
#5 Adam Schneider v West Coast

Any thoughts?

I actually would have put them in reverse order myself.

giant
31st October 2005, 12:16 PM
50 great goals but I have to say that after nodding with approval throughout the rollout I was a tad disappointed with 1 and 2. Thought there were better goals than those. Anyway, a thankless task obviously.

Agree on the BBBH goal that didn't make it - that was an inspiring goal that only Baz could kick.

Sanecow
31st October 2005, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by Schneiderman
I actually would have put them in reverse order myself.

But they are in reverse order?

woo
31st October 2005, 12:18 PM
50 great goals but I have to say that after nodding with approval throughout the rollout I was a tad disappointed with 1 and 2. Thought there were better goals than those. Anyway, a thankless task obviously.

Agree on the BBBH goal that didn't make it - that was an inspiring goal that only Baz could kick.

Ithink its easy to confuse "best goal with "most important goal"

Nicky d's one was clearly the most important goal....after that we could argue for years over "best goal"

Big Al
31st October 2005, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by woo
Ithink its easy to confuse "best goal with "most important goal"

Nicky d's one was clearly the most important goal....after that we could argue for years over "best goal"

Agree. If Nicky d's goal was kicked in the 2nd Qtr it wouldnt made the top 50 at all.

Snowy
31st October 2005, 12:24 PM
Kennelly's goal was very good but it was when the team was a trillion goals up so wasn't important if you judge goals by that. I think to an extent the pressure on the player has to come into it. I also like to see players who consistently kick good goals get highly rated, not ones who 'fluke' the odd goal.

Go Swannies
31st October 2005, 12:27 PM
Agree. If Nicky d's goal was kicked in the 2nd Qtr it wouldnt made the top 50 at all.

Not so - the 36 players around the ball made finding the space remarkable. But I was disappointed too that Baz wasn't there with the Weagles goal. But most of the ones selected were running goals - not when the forward had players hanging off him and still got it away.

And thanks for "pertaining" - a word that doesn't get much of a run on RWO.

ScottH
31st October 2005, 12:41 PM
What were the top 4?

Jeffers1984
31st October 2005, 12:51 PM
According to the media we didn't even kick 50 goals this season :p

goswannie14
31st October 2005, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by woo
I am assuming this is very one eyed as in no other players of other teams get a look in? Isn't that what the AFL site is for???

Refried Noodle
31st October 2005, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by goswannie14
Isn't that what the AFL site is for???

If you can afford telstra big(fee)pond(scum)...

Stupid video content.

Can someone post the top 50?

giant
31st October 2005, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by Refried Noodle

Stupid video content.

Can someone post the top 50?

It's actually available for free viewing - worth a look!

cruiser
31st October 2005, 01:40 PM
#8 Nick Davis v Geelong
Which one? I reckon both his 3rd and 4th goals in that last quarter could be rated top ten.

Big Al
31st October 2005, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by cruiser
Which one? I reckon both his 3rd and 4th goals in that last quarter could be rated top ten.

The 4th one. The third one didnt make the Top 50.

Refried Noodle
31st October 2005, 01:50 PM
It's actually available for free viewing - worth a look!

Hmm must be a flaw in Opera. Damn I feel dirty using Internet Explorer.....:p

EDIT: Nup always asks for login. I'm using the heading under the Boredband features, where you getting it from?!

cruiser
31st October 2005, 03:05 PM
The 4th one. The third one didnt make the Top 50.
I'm surprised by that. It was a brilliant snap at goal from about 45 metres out while on the run facing 90 degrees from goal.

giant
31st October 2005, 04:19 PM
Hmm must be a flaw in Opera. Damn I feel dirty using Internet Explorer.....:p

EDIT: Nup always asks for login. I'm using the heading under the Boredband features, where you getting it from?!

Yep, that's it - separate box comes up with the player. It either comes on automatically or you just click the link in the player.

SimonH
31st October 2005, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by cruiser
I'm surprised by that. It was a brilliant snap at goal from about 45 metres out while on the run facing 90 degrees from goal. Dead right. While the 4th one deserved kudos just for being a goddamn lifesaver, the 3rd was by far the superior goal in terms of skills displayed. Degree of difficulty: 3.8.

Tough to rate 'em taking context into account, b/c Keneally's goal against BL, while very pretty to watch, was against an opposition that was blown away and half-interested.

goswannie14
31st October 2005, 07:47 PM

Stupid video content.

Can someone post the top 50? It's great when work pays for your internet connection and want you to have broadband:D

goswannie14
31st October 2005, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by SimonH
Dead right. While the 4th one deserved kudos just for being a goddamn lifesaver, the 3rd was by far the superior goal in terms of skills displayed. Degree of difficulty: 3.8.

Tough to rate 'em taking context into account, b/c Keneally's goal against BL, while very pretty to watch, was against an opposition that was blown away and half-interested. But the top 50 goals don't take context into account. That's the point, they are the best goals no matter what (alledgedly), In Kennelly's case that goal was absolutely brilliant, the way he avoided Voss (I think it was Voss) just before he kicked it, pure poetry in motion;)

dimelb
31st October 2005, 08:23 PM
Probably doesn't rate top 50, but I still get chills down the back whenever I see it: Mickey's snap against St Kilda in the last quarter of the final - the sheer speed and precision.

goswannie14
31st October 2005, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by dimelb
Probably doesn't rate top 50, but I still get chills down the back whenever I see it: Mickey's snap against St Kilda in the last quarter of the final - the sheer speed and precision.
His banana/off spinner against Essendon made it...now that was "pure magic";)

Xie Shan
31st October 2005, 08:31 PM
My favourites (Swans only)

Jude Bolton's goal to level the scores in Round 3 at the Gabba, a great team play.

Jarred Moore's first goal in footy against the Bombers at Telstra Stadium

Luke Vogels' second against the Dogs at the SCG, great evasive skills to get out of trouble

Against Carlton, a goal to O'Loughlin that resulted from a Craig Bolton break-out down the middle followed by a long pinpoint pass

Schneider on the run against WC at the SCG

O'Loughlin's leg break against the Bombers at Telstra Dome

Tadhg's goal against the Lions at Telstra Stadium (of course! - yet another great team play)

Pretty much all of Nick Davis' goals against the Cats.
No. 1 was an opportunist snap, No. 2 was a great passage of play, No. 3 was just sheer class, No. 4...well, we know about no. 4 ;)

Bazza's goal from long range after evading McGuire in the PF

Schneider's 3rd against the Saints in the PF. "..and the Swans are into the grand final!"

Monty's goal in the GF. Not just for the context - it won us the game! - but I'm sure everyone thought after Davis' goal no-one thought we could do that again, but we did!! A carbon copy.

goswannie14
31st October 2005, 09:32 PM
Just watched the top 50...not happy Jan! The judges have been sucked in to the Chris Judd hype again. I thought Akermanis goal at number 4 was far superior to Judd's and I can't stand Aker! Judds' was a fairly run of the mill goal for a top AFL player, there were many similar to it in the top 50.

On another note though...how many soccer style goals were there??? It was amazing to see player after player kicking goals out of mid air from all over the place. What a great game we have.:D

RogueSwan
1st November 2005, 08:26 AM
Yep, that's it - separate box comes up with the player. It either comes on automatically or you just click the link in the player.
Doesn't work for me either. Giant are you a bigpond user?

giant
1st November 2005, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by RogueSwan
Doesn't work for me either. Giant are you a bigpond user?

Umm, I guess maybe I am....at work anyway, coz it's not working for me at home. I certainly don't subscribe to any of the AFL services but perhaps you get free access to some of the video if you're a Telstra BB customer? Go figger!

goswannie14
1st November 2005, 01:18 PM
Umm, I guess maybe I am....at work anyway, coz it's not working for me at home. I certainly don't subscribe to any of the AFL services but perhaps you get free access to some of the video if you're a Telstra BB customer? Go figger! It does say something about that on the sign in for the AFL video. But you can subscribe for just AFL stuff somehow.

RogueSwan
1st November 2005, 01:46 PM
It does say something about that on the sign in for the AFL video. But you can subscribe for just AFL stuff somehow.
$$$$$

goswannie14
1st November 2005, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by RogueSwan
$$$$$ Oh Ok fair enough...I have Bigpond broadband paid for by work so I don't know what has to be paid for etc

I also noticed that you aren't able to save it once it has been played:(

Sanecow
1st November 2005, 02:34 PM
I also noticed that you aren't able to save it once it has been played:(

There is software that allows you to download video streams. "Net Transport" works well in a lot of cases.

goswannie14
1st November 2005, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by Sanecow
There is software that allows you to download video streams. "Net Transport" works well in a lot of cases. Is that shareware, or do I have to pay for it???

Hold on, what am I asking you for, I am on the net:o