PDA

View Full Version : controlling our destiny

strange
3rd November 2005, 05:00 PM
Looking back at 2005, it seems that in every game the swans played they where the team deciding the outcome (if not them then the umpires!). When we lost it was because of the fact that we where playing badly, not the opposition running over the top of us. We where in control of our destiny the whole season and I think this was a deciding factor in us winnin the premiership.

Thoughts?

Schneiderman
3rd November 2005, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by strange
Thoughts?

Totally agree. I think it has a lot to do with the 'tempo football' model coming of age. This being the third year in practice, the players seemed a lot more confident in putting the plan into action.

That said, this observation is really only true from Round 11 onwards. We were clearly outclassed in all of the games we lost up to then, and had very little control in them.

If we can continue in this vein next year, there really is no reason why we cant be minor premiers and contest another GF.

Ryan Bomford
3rd November 2005, 06:20 PM
I have a feeling there will be plenty of strategies to counter our "tempo football" in development right now.

liz
3rd November 2005, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by strange
Looking back at 2005, it seems that in every game the swans played they where the team deciding the outcome (if not them then the umpires!). When we lost it was because of the fact that we where playing badly, not the opposition running over the top of us. We where in control of our destiny the whole season and I think this was a deciding factor in us winnin the premiership.

Thoughts?

I think this is a ridiculous claim.

The outcome of any game is the interaction of the performance of two teams. The team that plays better usually wins - though not always.

West Coast certainly weren't at their devasting best either time we beat them, for example.

And in the round 3 game at the Gabba, Brisbane really should have had the game sown up by 3/4 time had they not missed some very very easy chances in front of goal.

Given the number of games the Swans were involved in where the margin was under 10 pts, it is particularly daft to suggest that the Swans' form was the only thing that influenced the outcome. It is also a little insulting to the opposition to suggest they had no effect on the outcome of games.

Schneiderman
4th November 2005, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by liz
I think this is a ridiculous claim.

I think you are being a bit harsh.

So does Paul Roos, if you can take anything out of his 'guarantee' before the GF. He too said that IF the team did everything they had to do, they would win.

As for WC not being at their 'devastating best' when we played them, is that not also true of Brisbane during 2003-2005. Not a coincidence? What about St Kilda? Their 'devastating best' had as much to do with the team they faced those games as their own talent and game.

It seems to me that whenever we play to our potential, and give 100% we can beat any team. When we drop off in intensity, we let them in. Sure this can be true of any team, but the point about how this season was won because of our efforts is hardly an insult to the other teams. In fact it should show them that if they gave the same effort they may have the silverware.

liz
4th November 2005, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by Schneiderman

As for WC not being at their 'devastating best' when we played them, is that not also true of Brisbane during 2003-2005. Not a coincidence? What about St Kilda? Their 'devastating best' had as much to do with the team they faced those games as their own talent and game.

But that is entirely my point. How can you claim that the outcome of any match is solely the function of how one of the two teams performs. It is always an interaction between the performance of both teams.

The Undertaker
4th November 2005, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by Schneiderman
It seems to me that whenever we play to our potential, and give 100% we can beat any team. When we drop off in intensity, we let them in. Sure this can be true of any team, but the point about how this season was won because of our efforts is hardly an insult to the other teams. In fact it should show them that if they gave the same effort they may have the silverware. Well said.