PDA

View Full Version : Very Surreal at the moment

Bart
21st May 2003, 09:17 AM
5-3 heading into the next few weeks with a great deal of confidence. Is there anyone who could put their hand on their heart and say they expected this ? It gets better when you consider we head to Canberra on a high with possibly no O'Loughlin, Saddington, Seymour, Fixter, Doyle etc.

Nobody is getting carried away with themselves, but this sure is an exciting time to be a Swans supporter.

Some questions:

Do we finally have reasonable depth ?

Are we overachieving ?

Is our list a lot better than most pundits gave credit at the start of the season?

And finally the unspeakable. Can we win the flag ?

penga
21st May 2003, 10:21 AM
the interesting thing is that our depth will increase towards the end of the season with fixter and doyle coming back and the possibility of james playing as well if a defender goes down... this kinda works in our favour with the 'fresh' legs... i dont think we deserve a flag with our current list and the weaknesses that we have, thats why roosy is 'rebuilding'... however, if we win the flag in our first year of 'rebuilding' imagine what we will be like when we are 'built'!!! i dont think we should be talking about the flag just yet... if we do, something monumental will go wrong :rolleyes:

personally, i think the swans have been underachieving for a while now, so maybe we are playing just a bit above our level atm...

we still have a pretty dodgy backline, and pretty dodge ruck - so our list isnt that great yet but their is plenty of talent coming through!

NMWBloods
21st May 2003, 10:42 AM
We have gaps everywhere except for the forward line, but we have been able to cover them in our recent good games. The key reason is much the same reason we did so well in '96. The guys have been going out and giving it everything in those games.

We have some talent in our side, but much of it is raw and there is not enough genuine talent across the team to carry us. Therefore at this stage what we need to do is play very intense footy to keep our run going.

This is what made '96 different to every other year in at least the past few decades. After a poor start the guys found something and lifted, playing intense, tough footy, with a never-say-die attitude for the rest of the year. This is the key for this year and the next couple at least.

Rod_
21st May 2003, 10:57 AM
My understanding of the Roos Plan is to blood as many young players as possible then have some depth in the club for future attacks at the finals - There by being able to cover for players that are down for a game or 2 or replace injured players with the depth that has been created.

Keep the ship heading towards the Grand Finalie.... Have as many of the top players available to win or the depth to cover. ... This includes Player confidence in themselves and "the game plan". At the moment this is working. (And I hope it continues)

Always a however.....

However as with the flood the game plan that Rocket was using, the Roosy plan will be worked out and inturn defences put in place to negate the impact..... Change is the only defence - keep them guessing - make the opposition be behind our game plan. We must continue to introduce changed game plans. We defeated Brissy by stopping their midfield on the day - Will that work next time? If not what will work?

My concern is next year (burts the bubble theory) whether we can improve at the same rate next year as we have this year to get to the GF (Thats if we dont do it this year....)

Rockets plan nearly worked in 96 - new ideas and got sooooo close.

Roosy's plan is working at the moment, will it be as good next year? Hope So! Better if possible..... (again that is we don't get there this year - this supporter confidence is high)

My early mail is that we will be top 4 this year and blood a lot of players into finals footy. Go for a big season next year is we dont get there this year...... I hope we can go to the top this year, but structurally we are not ready. Getting closer but not ready yet. (By the end of the season we will now how close we get won't we...... )

Next year is looking goode though.....Depth, Luck, some abitilty and retain the key players that count when needed, etc

And look out you other teams...

Theory according to Rod_

:D

penga
21st May 2003, 10:58 AM
NMW, its the key for every year isnt it :)

one thing i hate about journos covering us, atm, is that they only ever mention magic and sadders as injured... they underestimate the capabilities and importance of doyle and fixter to our team

i do agree with u about our forward line, it is lethal! :D

NMWBloods
21st May 2003, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by penga
NMW, its the key for every year isnt it :)

True enough. Although some teams (eg: Esserndon '00, Brisbane) can get away without the intensity for periods because they are so good. We can't, even though at times we thought we could (eg: '97-'98).

NMWBloods
21st May 2003, 11:41 AM
My early mail is that we will be top 4 this year and blood a lot of players into finals footy. Go for a big season next year is we dont get there this year......

To bring in another thread, if you believe we are shot next year, that would make perfect sense to bring in Akermanis, which could push us over the top.

barry
21st May 2003, 12:31 PM
To win a flag we need the following
1) A big strong "mongrel" key defender.
2) A dominant ruckman.
3) Another high-quality midfielder.
4) No injuries at finals time.

Can we find these. If everthing went perfectly, yes
1) James overcomes all his injuries. He's the only one with a mature enough body to take on the big forwards.
2) Doyle gets back on the track, and plays well.
3) Nick Davis gets fully fit and moves into the midfield.
4) Luck.

I dont expect many of these will happen, but it would not be impossible for us to go all the way.

NMWBloods
21st May 2003, 12:51 PM
James overcomes all his injuries. He's the only one with a mature enough body to take on the big forwards.

As much as I hope I'm wrong I can't see any way that James will play any meaningful amount of AFL football. He's just too brittle.

barry
21st May 2003, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by NMWBloods
As much as I hope I'm wrong I can't see any way that James will play any meaningful amount of AFL football. He's just too brittle.

There must be some hope otherwise the swans would never have persisted. We'll see latter in the season.

To add enourmous value to our defence he only has to be a bench player who comes on when one of Schuable or Saddo are struggling. He may not need huge match fitness.

Thats for this year. Further down the track LRT will take on the KPP defence.

gloveski
21st May 2003, 03:21 PM
realistically we are at least 2 seasons away from playing competitive finals football.

We need to find a key position player and a few quality midfielders to replace cresswell and the aging maxfield.

History has shown that young players taper off towards the end of the year and to expect these guys to be still up come finals time is a dream.

I still expect us to finish between 7th to 10th at best.

But with a bit of luck especially with injuries god knows what will happen.But one thing for sure the future is looking bright and maybe the rebuilding period wont take as long as expected.

Charlie
21st May 2003, 05:12 PM
Bah, humbug!

I threw out the "preparing for the worst, but hope for a couple of good wins" after the Brissie game. Now I'm a footy coach, taking it one week at a time and dreaming of a premiership cup inscribed "2003 - Sydney"... If it had of existed, this exact thread would have been around at about this time 7 years ago.

penga
21st May 2003, 05:20 PM
if u r a footy coach now charlie, does that mean you will be coming out with endless cliches now? ;)

Bart
21st May 2003, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by Charlie
Bah, humbug!

I threw out the "preparing for the worst, but hope for a couple of good wins" after the Brissie game. Now I'm a footy coach, taking it one week at a time and dreaming of a premiership cup inscribed "2003 - Sydney"... If it had of existed, this exact thread would have been around at about this time 7 years ago.

Yeah @@@@@@@ it ! Let's now go and win the bloody thing

omnipotent
21st May 2003, 05:48 PM
Lack of key, classy, quality defenders will find us out. Also the midfield has older players and will tire come September so it needs back-up.

blinddog
21st May 2003, 07:59 PM
But as we are in rebuilding stage doesn't ending up too high in the ladder work against us, in the way that we are further down the list for the draft picks?

As far as James, from what I understand Roo's just wants him to play out the season (when he does comeback) in reserves. All going well seniors next year for him, of course no decision is set in stone.

Charlie
21st May 2003, 08:06 PM
But as we are in rebuilding stage doesn't ending up too high in the ladder work against us, in the way that we are further down the list for the draft picks?

If we're good enough, why not go for it? You only live once... and draft picks can wait.

Why try and recruit a star KPP if LRT keeps improving to that level? Why bother looking for a tough nut midfielder if Jude Bolton has taken the next step?

Why deliberately wait three years if we don't have to?

Plugger46
21st May 2003, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by gloveski
realistically we are at least 2 seasons away from playing competitive finals football.

We need to find a key position player and a few quality midfielders to replace cresswell and the aging maxfield.

History has shown that young players taper off towards the end of the year and to expect these guys to be still up come finals time is a dream.

I still expect us to finish between 7th to 10th at best.

But with a bit of luck especially with injuries god knows what will happen.But one thing for sure the future is looking bright and maybe the rebuilding period wont take as long as expected.

We can finish higher than 7th.

Nico
21st May 2003, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by omnipotent
Lack of key, classy, quality defenders will find us out. Also the midfield has older players and will tire come September so it needs back-up.

Nah, got it wrong Omni. It is the seasoned players with miles in their legs that come to the fore in the finals.

For freshness try Doyley and Fixter for size if they rise above their injuries in the second half of the season.

Cresswell, Maxfield, Williams and now the likes of Bolton and Fosdike who have matured, and throw in Davis, then the ability of our midfield to get through a long tough season suddenly looks promising.

Not to forget the maturity now of Crouch and Mathews under the tutourledge of "The Master Coach" or dare I say it, "The Messiah".

Strewth I don't believe I said that. A Swans supporter getting Cocky!!!! But I told you all so before the season started.

Reggi
22nd May 2003, 08:19 AM
Our midfield has depth - but our lack of a 'star', gun midfielder will catch us out.

Schauble has had a couple of fair weeks, but he is the weak link our lack of a strong quality tall defender will mean we are guranteed to struggle when we come up against the really strong marking types.

Depth is also a problem - we are stretched at the moment.

I also think that we will find that the younger players will begin to struggle for consistency.

Charlie
22nd May 2003, 04:07 PM
Schauble has had a couple of fair weeks, but he is the weak link our lack of a strong quality tall defender will mean we are guranteed to struggle when we come up against the really strong marking types.

So far we've managed to account for teams containing the best two marking forwards in the league... Neitz and Lynch. These guys were significant contributors for their team, but didn't do enough to get them over the line.

Our defence has been magnificant so far.

Plugger46
22nd May 2003, 04:18 PM
I still think our backline is a little bit suspect.

CureTheSane
22nd May 2003, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by Bart
Is there anyone who could put their hand on their heart and say they expected this ? ....... Can we win the flag ?

I didn't EXPECT it, but I wasn't one of the doom and gloomers.

Like I said in a thread at the start of the season asking to pick where the Swans would finish I picked 1.
What is the point of supporting a team if you don't think (or hope) that they can get anywhere?

And I still say we CAN win the flag

Colloingwood proved that last year.

Now people will come out and say that Collingwood are a different team blah blah blah, but that's bs to me.

I've always said the Swans winning and losing was about mental attitude, and am still dumbfounded that we don't have a team psycologist.

But if they keep their confidence up, and roos continues to support that development (allowing them to back themselves etc) then we have a good a chance as probably 12 or 13 other teams, with a few teams having a bit of form and spirit on us :)

TheMase
22nd May 2003, 05:02 PM
Our defense is ranked 4th in the League. (4th in against).

floppinab
22nd May 2003, 05:12 PM
So far we've managed to account for teams containing the best two marking forwards in the league... Neitz and Lynch. These guys were significant contributors for their team, but didn't do enough to get them over the line.

Our defence has been magnificant so far.

I would still say solid as opposed to magnificent CG. We've been winning because those opposition forwards you mention have been starved of quality opportunities by our midfield and we've been rebounding into the forward line very very effectively. Can't remember Lynchy getting too many one on ones against us like he had against the Crows last week.

gloveski
22nd May 2003, 05:53 PM
Our defence has been really good but we may get found out on bigger grounds were it is harder to get numbers back

sharp9
23rd May 2003, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by Bart
Yeah @@@@@@@ it ! Let's now go and win the bloody thing

Well I'd like to put it better....but I can't

Bart
23rd May 2003, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by sharp9
Well I'd like to put it better....but I can't

:D

Rizzo
23rd May 2003, 04:46 PM
Roosy reckons having the reserves play in the canberra league has made the young guys a lot more physical. From what I've seen I'd have to agree with them. LRT, Powell and Schneider don't seem fazed by the physical nature of the games at all and that has given the whole side some more backbone.

For this year I'm sticking with by orginal guess at Finals but with some luck we may win one or two. Let's hope we can keep hold of the talented young blokes!

JF_Bay22_SCG
23rd May 2003, 05:13 PM
My attitude to things is that we shouldn't get overexcited about a young side. As has been said, young sides are often volotile emotionally.

To use an analogy I see this year as the year where the house's foundations are being laid. We are giving the kids a go so that they not only have a taste of AFL senior footy but can develop their games against the highest level of opponent possible. There will be stuff-ups. There will be erratic efforts. But as we have recently seen, sometimes the youngsters can surprise you.
Whether it remains this positive by the season's end remains to be seen.

We are a club that hasn't won a Premiership since 1933. We are a club that has always wanted short term success over long term stability.

I'd rather we take the conservative option and see this year as a wonderful opportunity to blood the kids, hopefully who will all be able to mature as a unit together. What ever success we get this year should be seen as topping on your ice cream. We must not lose perspective of the bigger picture here.

We are going ahead of schedule. I'd rather do things right and develop a champion club over a longer period of time rather than a side that may have one fly-by-night year in the finals then no future the next. That is what the Lions have done. I'm sure Ireland is modelling us on what he helped build up there.

Originally I set ourselves a target of being premiers in 10 years from last year. I'd like to think that we are starting that journey. And could acheive it in 3-5 the way things are falling into place.

We are laying down the first paving stones. We are just waiting for Roosey to lead us down that yellow brick road that leads to the MCG on that last day in September.

JF

barry
23rd May 2003, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by JF_Bay22_SCG
Originally I set ourselves a target of being premiers in 10 years from last year. I'd like to think that we are starting that journey. And could acheive it in 3-5 the way things are falling into place.

JF

10 years??? That means that the drafties we pick up this year will be at the end of their careers by the time you expect us to win a flag?

Rebuilding is at most a 5 year thing.

liz
23rd May 2003, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by barry
10 years??? That means that the drafties we pick up this year will be at the end of their careers by the time you expect us to win a flag?

Rebuilding is at most a 5 year thing.

Even 5 years is pushing it a bit. I reckon 3 years is about the furthest ahead you can plan a squad. Injuries, form turnarounds, players wanting to leave...all far too hard to predict.

swansrock4eva
23rd May 2003, 06:43 PM
Just under 5 weeks ago, nearly everyone was screaming blue murder after 3 losses in a row, now we can't wait for the post-premiership glory come early October! Didn't I say to wait and see that we'd improve, even if only for a little while?! So having said that, I'd just like to say, not too loudly, I was right! Hehehe!

To be honest, I still don't give a rats' where we end up, just as long as they all get out there and give it a red hot go each week. So right now, I'm very happy, but definitely not euphoric and defintiely NOT thinking about September yet.

Note the "yet" though ;)

GO YOU GOOD THINGS!

swan_song
23rd May 2003, 08:01 PM
Yes. as Ive said many a time...a top key defender to take full back or CHB, as I don't believe that either Schauble or Saddington are the right ones for these positions. Also a classy ruckman (Stafford, do I hear people cry) to take the load off Goodes and Ball, allowing them to get forward. I'm also a bit concerned about the midfield for 2004, and wouldn't knock back another PK if he's out there somewhere. I think with Cressa retiring, and Willo and Stewie another year older, we'll need to find some fresh legs and an in-and-under player or 2 to get the ball out of the centre.
I'm happy with most of 2003 so far, though I expect the Kangas to come out firing as they have copped real wallopings from us in recent years...indeed, today I relived on Foxtel that 10 goal last quarter from last year. If we make the finals this season, all well and good, and it will indeed be more than I had imagined pre season (but I imagined more than the team delivered last year) and we'll have some young players who will gain finals experience for a real crack at it in the years ahead.

23rd May 2003, 08:22 PM
Reading somewhere, Steve Maxalos was mentioning about McVeigh. He said that McVeigh might be near to ready when Maxfield and William are going to retire (about 2-3 years) from today. They are trying to move Mathews there too.

My roadmap is: next year challenging for a final spot, 2005 challenging for a top four position and hopefully mouting a challenge for the flag in 2006-2007. Nothing in our recent performance has changed my opinion on this. We wont be ready earlier than 2006. Giving the kids some games now should enhance our chance in 2006-2007 though. By then, LRT and Powell should be ready together with Schneider and McVeigh too. Goodes, Saddo, Kennelly and Bolton should enter their peak, hopefully with Doyles and Fixter as well. Hall should still perform. Together, that is a decent group to work with.

Charlie
23rd May 2003, 09:29 PM
Meh. YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE! Unless you're a Buddhist, of course... but I don't think any of our squad are Buddhists.

So go out there fellas, and WIN this week. BEAT those 'Roos. Leave a Glen Archer-shaped divot in the Manuka turf if necessary... or if it simply takes your fancy. Try not to get caught, if possible.

Then, once that is done... go out there and WIN the next week... or go down fighting. Who gives a stuff, as long as they BELIEVE in themselves, and their ability to give it a red hot go, knowing that when on song NO-ONE can beat them?

Stuff it. Go for glory! No-one on here who is slightly reasonable will look down on them if they have a real dip - rebuilding or not... young or not. I'd rather come last, knowing that the players were playing for a flag... than come 10th 'cause they were too busy telling themselves that they ain't ready yet.

Now... if anyone can read all that gibberish and understand what I'm not conveying very well... good. But you only live once... so don't waste too much of your time trying to understand it, if in fact you don't already...:confused: ;) :cool:

23rd May 2003, 09:36 PM
We never know Charlie, God played for Geelong sometime ago, didn't he :cool: :cool: :cool: There might be a Buddist in our team.

Of course, the players should go out to win. But we should not expect them to win the big one anytime soon.

Charlie
23rd May 2003, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by Newbie
We never know Charlie, God played for Geelong sometime ago, didn't he :cool: :cool: :cool: There might be a Buddist in our team.

Of course, the players should go out to win. But we should not expect them to win the big one anytime soon.

I didn't say that I'm expecting a flag. But heck... seems a little more feasible than a spoon... don't you reckon?

My new 2003 motto is 'STUFF IT!'

Charlie
23rd May 2003, 09:59 PM
Here's something to inspire the boys...

http://essendonfc.com.au/images/03/drc1-8.jpg

See... it can be done.

Bart
23rd May 2003, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by Charlie
Here's something to inspire the boys...

http://essendonfc.com.au/images/03/drc1-8.jpg

See... it can be done.

With you all the way Charlie. Jeez with some of you its almost a crime to think of winning a premiership.

"Thou shalt not win a premiership until 2006"

Bugger that. To think we came within a whisker in 96, in a year where Eade started the year saying we were aiming for 10 wins. We also got hammered in our first two games. But nearly got there.

Baby Bombers indeed!

Sometimes momentum just carries you. It did it to us in 96.

Live a little people.

robbieando
24th May 2003, 02:08 AM
Each year we should aim to win a preimership no matter what odds we are - because you never know with football. But it doesn't mean we can't have one eye on the future. We should be looking at building a team to win a preimership not only for this year, but every year down the road.

This means no more Fly by night player that we have gone for in the past. Sure maybe if its the right player but we have to be selective in this area. Already we are seeing some members on here saying we should aim for an Aker and give up our 1st Round Pick. Look at Geelong this after last season everyone expected them to improve but they haven't and if we are not careful the same will happen to us.

Also isn't every team on a 5 year plan at whatever different stage?? We must be careful because other teams that are around us will improve at such a great rate that they become the next Brisbane and thus block our path and then when our "window" is up we are back where we began and without a flag. Trying to be the next Brisbane isn't the way to go we should try and be the next SYDNEY

Try and win a premiership by all means but don't take the eye off our future - thats where we win premierships in 10 years time.

Charlie
24th May 2003, 10:52 AM
Yes Robbie, that's right. Just because we're at 5-3 doesn't mean that we should stop playing LRT, Powell, Schneider etc. Because they've been part of the unit that's got us to 5-3!

We should play Meiklejohn more too... Hunt, Malceski, Thewlis, maybe even McVeigh. Give 'em all a run. But stuff it! They've been good enough to get to 5-3... Let 'em loose, and let 'em go for it... without the continual references to "no premiership before 2006". If you don't believe something can happen... it generally won't.

There is currently, off the top of my head... about 9 teams that can be classified as "rebuilding". Obviously, not all are going to win flags. So why not go with the attitude that the pre-season is for rebuilding. The real season is for going hell for leather, winning each game as it comes - if you can - and go for a flag? Who gives a stuff what journos say? The Swans were better than Brisbane... the benchmark of the comp! Why can't we dream? If it doesn't happen... so what? Always next year, and they'll be better for the experience.

What I'm saying is... give up the uptight references to rebuilding and 2006... open your eyes and mind... and see... this year a premiership will be won, by someone. Who will it be? The Swans? Why not? Looking better than the Crows and 'Pies at the moment... Who's going to care if at the end we don't win, but at round 9 you thought it was a chance? At least it means that you allowed yourself to enjoy the wins when they were coming!

I'm not going to regret any one of these posts if we fall in a hole and somehow come last. Will you regret your posts, regret not jumping on early for the wacky rollercoaster ride that is a flag assault, if we are in the top 4 at the end of round 22?