PDA

View Full Version : If the team of the century was held now instead of 03....

Jeffers1984
7th November 2005, 08:43 PM
..would any of our current swans make the team now? (considering our premiership).

This is a tricky one as we are more of a solid unit than a team of champions, but we do have some individual players that have stood out amongst most to at least be in contention, if not make the team.

My shortlist would be:

Barry Hall
Paul Williams
Leo Barry
Brett Kirk
Adam Goodes

Would any of these players get a gig if the TOTC was held now?

Xie Shan
7th November 2005, 09:23 PM
You're right, that is a tricky one. You've caught me out because I don't remember what the criteria were for the 2003 TOTC were in terms of games/years, but yeah, I think Hall and Goodes would be in it.

IIRC the CHF was Laurie Nash, and from what I've heard he could play forward or back, so he could displace one of the KP defenders and Hall could take CHF! Pretty powerhouse forward line that would be with Plugger and Pratt :)

Sanecow
7th November 2005, 09:25 PM
There's no room for Hall and Plugger in the same line-up. We all know that.

Plugger46
7th November 2005, 09:31 PM
Hall would be the only one in my opinion. The whole thing is very subjective though.

Xie Shan
7th November 2005, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by Sanecow
There's no room for Hall and Plugger in the same line-up. We all know that.

Not in a normal team, but that's the point of the TOTC, to put together a fantasy team made up of players who could never could play together in real life!

Or was that obvious, and you just didn't want to use up your :rolleyes: for the day on that post? ;)

Captain
7th November 2005, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by Jeffers1984
..would any of our current swans make the team now? (considering our premiership).

This is a tricky one as we are more of a solid unit than a team of champions, but we do have some individual players that have stood out amongst most to at least be in contention, if not make the team.

My shortlist would be:

Barry Hall
Paul Williams
Leo Barry
Brett Kirk
Adam Goodes

Would any of these players get a gig if the TOTC was held now?

Would be hard to leave any of the above out.

Sanecow
7th November 2005, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by sydfan83
Not in a normal team, but that's the point of the TOTC, to put together a fantasy team made up of players who could never could play together in real life!

But they did! Rounds 1,10,12 2002 for very little effect.

Originally posted by sydfan83
Or was that obvious, and you just didn't want to use up your :rolleyes: for the day on that post? ;)

Well, I have saved it up, so OK! :rolleyes:

liz
7th November 2005, 10:18 PM
We never saw Lockett and Hall play in the same team at their best. I see no reason in principle why it shouldn't work, especially now that Hall is comfortable a fair way out from goal. St Kilda do OK with a stay-at-home FF in Gehrig plus a more mobile tall in Riewoldt (or Kossie).

In terms of which of those players would make the team, I reckon you need to look at who they would displace in the named team. I didn't see enough of the pre-1995 team to be able to judge.

But in terms of Hall, bear in mind that Capper didn't make the team. Would Hall yet be in front of Capper, let alone force his way into the team?

goswannie14
7th November 2005, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by liz
But in terms of Hall, bear in mind that Capper didn't make the team. Would Hall yet be in front of Capper, let alone force his way into the team? Capper wouldn't even be in the running...did you ever see him play. Couldn't kick a goal from outside 40 and couldn't handpass.

No contest hall would walk all over Capper:p

Plugger46
7th November 2005, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by liz
But in terms of Hall, bear in mind that Capper didn't make the team. Would Hall yet be in front of Capper, let alone force his way into the team?

I think Hall is above Capper. However I don't think time has been kind to Capper, he was a better player than people give him credit for.

Sanecow
7th November 2005, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by goswannie14
Capper wouldn't even be in the running...did you ever see him play. Couldn't kick a goal from outside 40 and couldn't handpass.

Capper kicked 100 goals FFS. Saw an amazing highlight of Capper on grumpy old men the other night: punched the ball from behind his opponent to a teammate around the 50m, then ran hard back to the square to receive the pass. It's a shame he went to Brisbane. He didn't need to lead out hard because he was such a sensational mark.

Charlie
8th November 2005, 12:05 AM
No.

Schneiderman
8th November 2005, 12:31 AM

I dont know... I gather Capper is pretty good at the scratching and slapping. And to think I idolised him as a kid :o

goswannie14
8th November 2005, 07:23 AM
Capper kicked 100 goals FFS. Saw an amazing highlight of Capper on grumpy old men the other night: punched the ball from behind his opponent to a teammate around the 50m, then ran hard back to the square to receive the pass. It's a shame he went to Brisbane. He didn't need to lead out hard because he was such a sensational mark. Don't get me wrong...anyone that can kick 100 goals in a season must be a reasonable footballer. But I reckon even I could have kicked a few goals with Healy/Williams feeding the ball to me time after time week after week. If you could put Hall or Lockett in that team they would have kicked 120 - 150 goals in a season.

Capper was good, but not as good as he would have people believe.;)

satchmopugdog
8th November 2005, 05:03 PM
Michael O'loughlin was nominated for the team of the century so He now has a premiership medal and more goals and final experience etc. than 2 years ago. He could get in.

Lucky Knickers
8th November 2005, 05:12 PM
Which century is the team of the century representing?
I was looking at the criteria and it stated the awards that a player had to have to qualify (Brownlow, Captain, Club award, Representative player) - not the years. But based on on that - I'd put Adam Goodes in the side. I'd put him on the I/C over Cressa any day.

Sanecow
8th November 2005, 05:33 PM
But I reckon even I could have kicked a few goals with Healy/Williams feeding the ball to me time after time week after week. If you could put Hall or Lockett in that team they would have kicked 120 - 150 goals in a season.

I think you'll find that Lockett had a decent midfield feeding him and failed to kick 150. Plus Hall is in a team with a premiership winning midfield and didn't even kick the ton. Capper pwnz you.

goswannie14
8th November 2005, 05:50 PM
I think you'll find that Lockett had a decent midfield feeding him and failed to kick 150. Plus Hall is in a team with a premiership winning midfield and didn't even kick the ton. Capper pwnz you. But there is a difference between a decent midfield, a premiership winning midfield and a top class midfield. What I was alluding too was the fact that Capper had the best midfield in the competition feeding the ball down to him. Both Lockett and Hall have had good solid midfields feeding the ball to them. I'm not saying Capper is no good, just that he is nowhere near as good as Lockett or Hall.

After all Plugger holds the record for most AFL goals in a career and Hall is a Premiership winning captain;)

Sanecow
8th November 2005, 05:58 PM
Capper's career was cruelly cut short by the move to Brisbane where he managed to kick what, 40 odd goals with a team who hated and ignored him.

The WCE forwards had an insanely good midfield this year (two Brownlows in the last two years; almost two this year alone) and their leading goal kicker didn't even threaten 50. It's not just about the midfield.

goswannie14
8th November 2005, 06:06 PM
Yeah, I know it's not just about the midfield, but having a good midfield that delivers the ball in the way Healy and Williams did must help.

Yes Capper could be spectacular, and he did kick 100 goals in a season, and that shows he can play football, but he was never a Lockett or Hall.

Now...you're not going to tell me that I'm actually discussing this with the Wiz!!!!:p

Plugger46
8th November 2005, 08:28 PM
The WCE forwards had an insanely good midfield this year (two Brownlows in the last two years; almost two this year alone) and their leading goal kicker didn't even threaten 50. It's not just about the midfield.

That's a pretty ridiculous argument though as the Eagles did not have a key forward anywhere near as good as the 3 mentioned.

Sanecow
8th November 2005, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by Plugger46
That's a pretty ridiculous argument though as the Eagles did not have a key forward anywhere near as good as the 3 mentioned.

With the midfield the Eagles had this year, goswannie14 would have kicked 120.

goswannie14
8th November 2005, 09:38 PM
With the midfield the Eagles had this year, goswannie14 would have kicked 120. Would have...could have...or should have...:p

giant
9th November 2005, 10:21 AM
With the midfield the Eagles had this year, goswannie14 would have kicked 120.

Goswannie14 in his prime >>>> Hansen, Lynch, Matera

Piobaireachd
10th November 2005, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by Plugger46
That's a pretty ridiculous argument though as the Eagles did not have a key forward anywhere near as good as the 3 mentioned. but that's what he is saying... Capper is good enough to be mentioned with the likes of Plugger and Hall. Not as good, but very much worthy of 3rd place.

Is he better than Hall? Do u like apples or oranges?

Is he better than Plugger? No.