PDA

View Full Version : Leading the Quarters Won

TheHood
21st May 2003, 01:17 PM
Only West Coast and Sydney have been more consistent, winning 20 of 32 quarters. Richmond has won 19 (Brisbane has won 17).

There is a mico stat for every stat. This is a quote from Mike Sheahan's latest.

I think we have tended to doubt our consistency at times, I know I have but this is quite a heartening stat. :cool:

penga
21st May 2003, 01:20 PM
funny that 12 quarters equals three games :p

RogueSwan
21st May 2003, 01:23 PM
How many of those twelve quarters we lost have been third quarters?
I am always nervous after half time.
It seems every week after the big break the guys get defensive forget how to run.

TheHood
21st May 2003, 01:38 PM
Apart from the Collingwood game which is when we took them apart, or should I say Goodesy did!

But yes, I get nervous too, like the Lions game.

Roscoe
21st May 2003, 05:13 PM
If you look closely at the interchange bench, Roos seems to give the veterans, who are also our "gun" players a spell during the 3rd quarter

Cresswell, Williams and Ball.

I feel he is getting them ready for the final quarter when we have lost so many close games over the previous years

penga
21st May 2003, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by Roscoe
If you look closely at the interchange bench, Roos seems to give the veterans, who are also our "gun" players a spell during the 3rd quarter

I feel he is getting them ready for the final quarter when we have lost so many close games over the previous years

thats a good observation... good coaching move as well :)

motorace_182
21st May 2003, 08:00 PM
If correct its a very good coaching skill. It has been a major problem in the past, throwing away the final quater. But whatever happened to it being the premiership quater??

Nico
21st May 2003, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by Roscoe

Great minds think alike Roscoe. I have noticed this every week, and he also rests Goodes out of the ruck either on the bench or up forward, for the last 10 minutes of the third quarter and maybe even the 2nd. Eg Miekeljohn or LRT have come on for him.

Last week Ball rucked for much of the 3rd and Goodes was up forward, being saved for the last quarter.

I also believe that Goodsey was not quite right last week of he was giving him a breather. He played much less on the ball and had fewer stats. Could have been because King was out.

Roos is clearly a good judge of a footballer and his worth to the team, and is prepared to give up some part of a good lead to ensure they give a good crack at the last quarter. Since the Melbourne game we have been very strong in the last 15 minutes and have withstood 3 challenges in a row to win going away. A sign of 22 players knowing how to finish off at a high level.

Keeping a diary of 300+ games methinks was a very smart thing to do.

Thank bloody goodness we kept Roosey.

Cheer Cheer
21st May 2003, 11:42 PM
I heard bruce mcavaney and tim watson go bananas about west coasts high number of quarters they have won this year on talking footy on monday night, and we were equal all along. Were's our mention Bruce! I was thinking when they said that, gee it is an impressive stat, and to think we are equal. Very impressive.

Red
22nd May 2003, 02:49 PM
Cheer Cheer, I watched Talking Crap as well on Monday and it really @@@@ted me! They (or rather Caro) were waffling about about how bad Hawthorn are at the moment. Bruce slipped in a quick "there's also the Akermanis to the Swans rumours, but let's just get back to Hawthorn".

This was the first and last time the word 'Swans' was mentioned that night. They spent the rest of the first segment lamenting about the #$@%ing Dawks, with the obligatory references to Essendon, St. Kilda (Tim) and Adelaide (Bruce).

Sorry, I know this post is completely off the topic. But this almost media ban on the Swans in the Melbourne AFL shows really gets me down sometimes.

Plugger46
22nd May 2003, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by Cheer Cheer
I heard bruce mcavaney and tim watson go bananas about west coasts high number of quarters they have won this year on talking footy on monday night, and we were equal all along. Were's our mention Bruce! I was thinking when they said that, gee it is an impressive stat, and to think we are equal. Very impressive.

Yeah very true, we do not get the publicity we deserve because we're in Sydney.