PDA

View Full Version : Docker Harvey?

Tuesday
16th November 2005, 04:51 PM
Has anyone heard if reports are correct that Mark Harvey, former Essendon player and Sheedy's current right hand man in the coaching box, has signed on to be Assistant Coach of the Dockers?

I know Connolly's contract expires in 2007, and that would be a perfect opportunity for Harvey, IMO. He's certainly not going to get much chance with Sheeds likely to remain forever.

Plus, no more Harvey on WLF. Some of you, I know, will be cheering at the news (should it be true). ;)

Lucky Knickers
16th November 2005, 05:05 PM
Good luck to him. After studying under Sheeds for so long - I wondered why he hadn't moved on before this or why he wasn't seriously courted by another club!

Bye bye Chris Connelly.

Bleed Red Blood
16th November 2005, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by singaporeswan
Good luck to him. After studying under Sheeds for so long - I wondered why he hadn't moved on before this or why he wasn't seriously courted by another club!

Bye bye Chris Connelly.

He was - North - The rumour is in 02 they offered him senior coach position.

ScottH
17th November 2005, 06:14 AM
Hasn't signed apparently.........yet.

But, by the media build up down here, it sounds like he will.

link (http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=237266)

goswannie14
17th November 2005, 07:34 AM

Bye bye Chris Connelly. I think he would know by now that the writing is on the wall...will he finish the 2006 season???

Jeffers1984
17th November 2005, 09:24 AM
Let's hope he does sod off to Freo so then we don't have to listen to his drivel on WLF.

liz
17th November 2005, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by Jeffers1984
Let's hope he does sod off to Freo so then we don't have to listen to his drivel on WLF.

Yup

Lucky Knickers
17th November 2005, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by goswannie14
I think he would know by now that the writing is on the wall...will he finish the 2006 season???

Sometimes people surprise me with their ability to ignore said writing until their nose is touching the bricks!

Reckon he will leave about Round 10.

Plugger46
17th November 2005, 11:06 AM

Absolutely. When he finally takes a senior coaching roll, he's going to make a mess of the club that he is in charge of.

Charlie
17th November 2005, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by Plugger46
Absolutely. When he finally takes a senior coaching roll, he's going to make a mess of the club that he is in charge of.

Fremantle will make a mess of him. It's a tradition.

giant
17th November 2005, 11:46 AM

Seconded.

Tuesday
17th November 2005, 06:28 PM
Nothing concrete as yet, but he's as good as gone (http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2005/11/14/1131951100413.html)

punter257
17th November 2005, 09:22 PM
not a bad job offer money wise and he wont get the blame if they have a @@@@house year

plus if they do have a crap year its considered successful by their CEO and president - so its a win win situation

and he's most likely to get the head job if they give connelly the chop

giant
18th November 2005, 10:01 AM
Not sure if getting the head job from the Dockers is as appealing as it sounds at first blush.

cressakel
18th November 2005, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by Plugger46

I'll give you a couple of tips, Harvs will NOT make a mess of the club he is in charge of - which will be Freo by Round 8 in this instance.

For so long Freo have had coaches without any balls to stop the players influence on all matters related to the Freo Footy Club. In the last two seasons the players leadership group at Freo have gotten rid of the fitness staff (they claimed they weren't fit enough for an AFL season) and gone to the board complaining about the coaching of Chris Connolly, which is ironic to say the least considering that Connolly gave the players extra responsibility in much the same way as Parkin at Carlton in 1995 gave to the players leadership group.

The Freo players problem stems from the fact that they live in a fishbowl and the reasons for there lack of success is because of everyone and everybody but themselves due to supporters telling them so.....

When Harvs eventually takes over the coaching reigns of Freo, you will never see a harder bloke go through the joint since Malthouse at the Eagles in the early 90's. Harvs won't give a toss what the WA public thinks of his impact at the club and will immediately do the following once in charge -

1. Get rid of Bell as Captain and replace him with Josh Carr and Matty Carr as VC
2. Lay down the law to all and sundry that he is nobody's fool, will take no crap off anyone and everything is about the TEAM, in particular Farmer, Medhurst and other individual players that need a shake-up
3. Move Pav to CHB
4. Appoint his OWN coaching staff that he can rely on in any situation and that won't knife him in the back as the WA fishbowl sometimes can do

How do I know all this info you ask ????!!!

Answer: Harvs told us so last Saturday night at one of his lifelong boyhood mates 40th Birthday party.

P.S. Harvs is OLD OLD school, get ready for a revolution that is needed at the Dockers....

cressakel
18th November 2005, 12:22 PM

Harvs is better than G.Healy's woffel on On the Couch.....

At least he didn't desert his club at the age of 28 with a little wittle piddly broken wrist when the club was on it's knees getting kicked in the head a la Gerard "Soft" Healy did to the Swannies...

Lucky Knickers
18th November 2005, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by cressakel
When Harvs eventually takes over the coaching reigns of Freo, you will never see a harder bloke go through the joint since Malthouse at the Eagles in the early 90's.

Bet that will make the Dockers happy - inside the eagles nest is the belief that they have only recovered in the last 2 years from the wasteland left by Malthouse. They clap their hands at what's awaiting Collingwood.

Be sad to see Pav down back - hope he let's him run forward occassionally.

Anyway - I'm sure he's really happy that his secret plan is now public - along with Connelly's departure date.

Remind me never to tell you a secret! ;)

cressakel
18th November 2005, 02:13 PM
Bet that will make the Dockers happy - inside the eagles nest is the belief that they have only recovered in the last 2 years from the wasteland left by Malthouse. They clap their hands at what's awaiting Collingwood.

Be sad to see Pav down back - hope he let's him run forward occassionally.

Anyway - I'm sure he's really happy that his secret plan is now public - along with Connelly's departure date.

Remind me never to tell you a secret! ;)

Harvs never frequents RWO therefore, it is still a secret.....

The so-called wasteland left by Malthouse produced a flag every 5 years and toughened up a weakness in there overall game - accountability and DEFENCE. Defence invariably always wins flag, which is what Harvs will be implementing and why Pav will be a permanent CHB.

Harvs will never be another Malthouse in the fact that he is a law unto himself, made worse by being at Collingwood and hanging around maggots like McGuire, Swan, Balme and Buckley....Harvs will just implement his own style without the media attention in much the same way as Bomber Thompson has toughened up (ever so slowly mind you) the once soft and offensive Catters.

Connolly's departure date is my guestimate. Harvs MAY have only said points 1 to 4.....

Tuesday
18th November 2005, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by cressakel
P.S. Harvs is OLD OLD school, get ready for a revolution that is needed at the Dockers....

Good one, son!

I like him and rekon he's played his cards right. He wants and needs total domination, and he will get it all at Freo. Old school is the new New School.

Sad for Connolly, but that's just the way things work out.

Good luck to him and I hope he can lead the Dockers into their first finals campaign this year (not at our expense, though).

Xie Shan
18th November 2005, 07:19 PM
Second finals campaign - sure, they didn't last long in 2003, but they were there, at least :p

Tuesday
18th November 2005, 07:20 PM
Oh, you know what I mean!
I am at work and can't be @rsed to google... :p

Xie Shan
18th November 2005, 07:23 PM
Don't worry about it. I only brought it up because I thought it was ironic, given this thread, that Essendon were the ones to eliminate them from their lone finals appearance in 2003. :D

Their song's still crap, though, despite any nautical analogies. ;)

ScottH
18th November 2005, 07:34 PM
Signed this afternoon.

Source (http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=237659)

Apparently Connolly, does not feel threatened by Harvey being appointed. Yep.

Tuesday
18th November 2005, 07:37 PM
GOOOOOOOOONEskis!

punter257
18th November 2005, 08:20 PM
all along the dockers have needed a hardened victorian coach - should have gone after stan alves previously

none of their coaches have been this and they finally may get there. its a shame really as i dont mind connelly at all

but thats easy to say not being a dockers supporter :p

goswannie14
20th November 2005, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by ScottH
Signed this afternoon.

Source (http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=237659)

Apparently Connolly, does not feel threatened by Harvey being appointed. Yep. Well....not until the season proper starts...I hope Harvs gets the top job, it would be good to see the dockers do well even though their song is a shocker.:eek:

cressakel
21st November 2005, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by goswannie14
Well....not until the season proper starts...I hope Harvs gets the top job, it would be good to see the dockers do well even though their song is a shocker.:eek:

Although, I think the real reason Harvs took the offer up at Freo was he realised he could go down to the TAB at 9am on a Saturday (and Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday....) and bet on the first in Melb, Sydney, Brisbane, Adelaide and Hobart straight away and then stay there until the last race finishes in Perth at around 5.30pm. An extra two hours betting for a mad punter like Harvs is just the carrot he needed to be enticed to Freo......

P.S. If he doesn't succeed at Freo, blame it on the culture shock of another city, as he has never lived anywhere but the Essendon area all his life.....