View Full Version : cornes appeal

penga
21st May 2003, 05:34 PM
http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=93525

Port appeals Cornes suspension
12:30:09 PM Wed 21 May, 2003
Barry Levinson
afl.com.au
Port Adelaide has decided to appeal the two-week suspension received by key forward Chad Cornes at the AFL Tribunal on Tuesday evening.

Cornes was found guilty of a misconduct charge for kneeing Kangaroos defender Jess Sinclair in the Power?s round eight victory at AAMI Stadium last Saturday.

Under AFL rules, Port Adelaide will forego $15,000 to have the case re-heard, in attempt to have Cornes available for Friday night?s encounter against Essendon at Telstra Dome.

Cornes was reported on video evidence by field umpire Dean Margetts, who submitted damning evidence at Tuesday night?s hearing.

Umpire Margetts described the incident as a ?deliberate act to hurt another player?, which was out of the spirit of the game.

?It was (delivered) just to kind of finish him (Sinclair) off in a way,? the umpire told the tribunal.

?I don?t think it was accidental at all. I think it was a deliberate act to hurt another player, which isn?t in the spirit of the game, particularly when a player is in an awkward position on the ground.?

It is the first time Cornes has been suspended in his 84-game career, since making his senior debut with Port Adelaide in 1999.

The appeal will be heard in Melbourne on Thursday starting at 6.00 pm.

---------------------------
does anyone know if they appeal, can he be given a longer sentence... when i saw it, i thought it was at least a three gamer... i cant believe they have the hide to appeal, on that very basis i hope he gets 4... it was the most malicious act on the firld this season by far

c,o,cky pric,k i hate chad cornes

RogueSwan
22nd May 2003, 10:38 AM
It was a dirty move and I think he got off lightly with two weeks. His lame excuse of "my foot slipped" just doesn't cut it. :mad:
Poor guy (Sinclair) was alredy hurting.

j s
22nd May 2003, 11:03 AM
I'm pretty sure that they CAN increase the penalty, but so far the never have.

Skells
22nd May 2003, 11:17 AM
I think 5 weeks should cover it - back in round 14.

:D :D :D

RogueSwan
23rd May 2003, 10:07 AM
Pretty much what we all thought.

Cornes defence 'a joke'
By Scott Gullan
May 23, 2003
PORT Adelaide's appeal against Chad Cornes' two-match suspension was labelled a joke last night.
Umpires adviser Rick Lewis described the Power's video defence as "the most amateurish smoke and mirrors trick I've ever seen".
The AFL Appeals Board obviously agreed. After hearing evidence for 45 minutes, the three-man panel took just four minutes to dismiss the Port plea.
In the end, Cornes was probably lucky not to have another week added to his ban.
Board chairman Peter O'Callaghan, QC, appeared less than impressed by the power of the argument put forward.
"We have no reason to disagree with what the tribunal found," O'Callaghan said.
The exercise took a decent whack out of the Port coffers, too.
Lodging the appeal cost $15,000 and the club flew Cornes and football manager Mick Moylan to Melbourne for the hearing.
Lewis's "smoke and mirrors" accusation came after he and Cornes' advocate, Iain Findlay, argued about a series of different video angles of the incident.
Cornes had been booked for unduly rough play after he dropped a knee into the already injured Kangaroo Jess Sinclair.
He did have one win early in last night's hearing when field umpire Dean Margetts admitted he had made a poor choice of words when describing the incident to the tribunal on Tuesday night.
Margetts had said: "I felt he dropped the leg to finish him off."
Cornes started his evidence by stating he was very disappointed with the version of the events that the umpire had given. "I have played football for 15 years and never been reported," the Port centre half-forward said.
"It really did annoy me to hear that. I never intentionally kneed anybody."
Port Adelaide called South Australian football legend John Halbert, who was chairman of selectors under Cornes' father Graham when he was coach of Adelaide, to give character evidence.
Outside the tribunal an angry Moylan said he was disappointed with the perception that the club's appeal had been frivolous.
"We are upset at being described as a smoke and mirrors club," Moylan said.
"No one would like to be described like that.
"We pride ourselves in trying to put up the best display at any time."
It is horrible timing for Cornes. He will have to sit out tonight's Telstra Dome clash with Essendon and next week's blockbuster against Collingwood at AAMI Stadium.