PDA

View Full Version : How many people have you introduced to AFL .

cos789
17th November 2005, 11:23 PM
Of course this is mainly directed at NSW people .
How many people have you taken along to a Swans game and they've become hooked , becoming followers or members ?
I brought my wife along when she was my girlfriend (at a time when it was uncool to take a girl to the RL) and from there her family , who followed the Roosters became members .
Also a handful of my then workmates .

tantrum
17th November 2005, 11:58 PM
One!

graystar
18th November 2005, 03:14 AM
Three english guys I work with in London. They all have their own jerseys now, except they chose to go for teams not the swans - geelong, crows and bombers.

RogueSwan
18th November 2005, 09:35 AM
My wife and my old man. Possibly my mum next year.

CureTheSane
18th November 2005, 11:54 AM
My fiance started supporting the Swans at the beginning of 2005.
How sucky is that?
First year supporting any team and they win the flag.

I've converted 3 out of 4 of her kids, my kids of course were given no option but to follow the Swans .

Also many kids at school, I have changed over to the Swans or have taken them on as a second team.

woo
18th November 2005, 12:04 PM
lost count long ago.....we took about 8 people to that 96 prelim and all were converted on the spot. when dads away I share my spare seat with friends who I want to convert...an old bf of mine still texts me all the time and he was a die hard rugby boy (still is) but he now follows aussie rules because of me. :)

Stevie Wright
18th November 2005, 12:09 PM
One...my girlfriend who started supporting in 2004 and became a member in 2005

ScottH
18th November 2005, 12:38 PM
3 Kids. More indoctrination, than introduction.

RogueSwan
18th November 2005, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by ScottH
Save the Earth ...
it is the only Planet that has chocolate

... and the only one that has George Dubya ( I hope ).

satchmopugdog
18th November 2005, 02:49 PM
My sister-in-law who is a Pom. She came along with me to my first Swans Ball in Melbourne after my ex left and I was trying to find my feet again('99). She was only supposed to walk with me there but she wandered in to the pre-dinner drinks as she was dressed up for the theatre.

She had such a good time at the pre-dinner drinks she was late for the theatre and came along the next year. She is now a convert to the Sydney Swans and goes to the games at York Park even though the Swans never play there.

She comes back with all these tales of how wonderful Shane Crawford is or Robert Harvey etc etc.

I think it is worth double if you can convert someone in an already AFL state.

Sanecow
18th November 2005, 02:51 PM
I have taken a few people along. One game in Perth I took three guys to their first game. We sat near the umpires' race so I showed them how to boo the umpires (even though we won). The umps were all laughing at it. Good fun.

It rained on us and they didn't have coats. One of them got a parking ticket too. No converts to report.

The Boot
18th November 2005, 09:43 PM
Don't know anyone who I've taken and hasn't come back for more.

Oh, except the two swedes I propositioned outside the ticket booth one friday night match (god, they do stick out from the crowd) - so don't know any more about them. Are you out there Sven? Helga?

Lucky Knickers
18th November 2005, 10:28 PM
I have converted 1 person to a member and we regularly attend games.
I have also recently converted my 15 yo nephew who lives in Italy. I took him to his first game this year agst WCE in Rnd 17. He has asked me for a guernsey for XMAS as well as a DVD of the Grand Final. If you ever visit Italy and are in Venice and see a young man in dressed in Swannies gear - say Ciao!

BonBon
19th November 2005, 03:19 AM
I got my Mum into footy.

satchmopugdog
19th November 2005, 08:17 AM
Bon ...... what were you doing up at 3.19? As your drunken Aunt I feel a personal resonsibilty here for your well being. Remember it is do as I say not do as I do.

BonBon
19th November 2005, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by satchmopugdog
Bon ...... what were you doing up at 3.19? As your drunken Aunt I feel a personal resonsibilty here for your well being. Remember it is do as I say not do as I do.
Hehe. I went to bed at 3:45am. A website hooked me.

Swansmaniac
19th November 2005, 03:39 PM
4, my dad, and 3 of my school friends. Only one of them gone obessed and shes the only one who went to the tickertape parade with me, my other 2 cant be bothered going. :frown

Big Al
19th November 2005, 07:51 PM
2. My 4 year old nephew has been indoctrinated into the fold. Im now working on his 2 year old brother.

Two future members, I guarantee it ;)

cos789
19th November 2005, 09:42 PM
When I brought my mother-in-law along and she got hooked , I should have really explained the rules . She really bags the umpires regardless every time . Nobody seems to mind . seems quite natural actually .

goswannie14
19th November 2005, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by cos789
When I brought my mother-in-law along and she got hooked , I should have really explained the rules . She really bags the umpires regardless every time . Nobody seems to mind . seems quite natural actually . Sounds like she has picked up the rules pretty well then:p