PDA

View Full Version : Cancelled games not re-scheduled

troy34
22nd May 2003, 10:58 PM
The games that were called off last weekend due to the rain have not been re-scheduled, 5 teams did not want to play it as the only time was the long weekend and too many players would have been away so the SAFL this year is only 17 rounds,The SFA are still going ahead on the long weekend, here is the draw

Saturday 7 June
Penrith V Sydney Uni
Nor West Jets V Wollongong
UNSW/ES V Southern Sharks
Holroyd - Parramatta V UTS

Sunday 8 June
Manly ? Warringah V Macquarie Uni

Regards
Luffy

jude_boltons_babe
23rd May 2003, 01:09 AM
hi troy when and where is balmain tigers playing

troy34
23rd May 2003, 01:12 AM
We are playing Sunday at 2pm at Drummoyne Oval against St George

Crusey
23rd May 2003, 03:30 PM
Troy,

I've missed the tigers 2 last games so I might have missed him, has Merrick Watts has pulled on the boots ? :D

Cheers

troy34
23rd May 2003, 03:41 PM
Not yet, he has been our official runner but he hopes to play a game soon, he keeps getting injured as he hasnt played for about 10 years

floppinab
23rd May 2003, 04:15 PM
Will do it to you every time...............

jude_boltons_babe
24th May 2003, 01:13 PM
i hope balmain go well on sunday ill be at the next game for sure

Idontwanttoplay
26th May 2003, 01:43 PM
You really need to question the charter of a number of SFL clubs in their decision to abandon the Round 4 games. How are we ever going to move the game forward in Sydney when the clubs dont even want to play for the 4 points!!

Surely the League needs to decide these matters and not take an "Ask the Audience" approach finally coming up with two different decisions for their different competitions.

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

troy34
26th May 2003, 01:52 PM
Balmain wanted to play as did 3 others but we had the luxury of being able to play thursday night, the other clubs didnt thats why they chose not to play as too many players would have been away. A game of football should not be called off in the first place, this is not the leagues fault, its the councils that manage the grounds

shearer
26th May 2003, 03:28 PM
Troy is right, its the councils that basically say wether sport can be played in this city.

In something of a first of its kind, at yesterdays Balmain vs Saints game the council ranger came down during the 18's game and asked that the centre bounce be moved off the cricket pitches in the centre to the side for the rest of the day.

Im not sure how much difference it made but i have never seen that happen before.

Lensman
26th May 2003, 06:07 PM
I am a bit confused here you say that that some clubs didn't want to play because there would be too many players away - does this mean you don't have a reserve grade comp. If you do, surely a club should be able to field at least a first grade team.

Also, Troy, why would you need to play on a Thursday night. Doesn't the comp have a bye weekend or something.

It seems to me to be very strange that a football club would not want to play football .....?:confused:

troy34
26th May 2003, 06:17 PM
Our game that was originally set down for a Friday night so we thought it might be easier to play it on the Thursday night as the ground wasnt available for the Friday of the long weekend and your right , the games should have gone ahead regardless

Idontwanttoplay
26th May 2003, 06:35 PM
Troy, certainly agree that the League has no control over the closure of grounds.
They certainly should have control over the rescheduling of games though(whether this be mid week, long weekend or other). Lets not provide a precedent for games to be scrapped in the future due to lack of players.
Are we saying that as long as 4 clubs agree that they wont have their best side for a particular week then we can call the round off? Mmmmm

one step forward........