PDA

View Full Version : Two months plus and counting...

mocaholic
2nd December 2005, 11:59 AM
...and I'm still struggling with the reality that we won the flag.

I have the poster from the Age on my cubicle wall, the DVD (which is already sticking!), some merch and all, but I still get a shiver up and down my spine thinking about the whole thing. I vague out when I'm bored, or on the phone, and as my eyes wander up the wall, I see the stunned look on LRT's and Dumpster's faces, the relieved look on Nog, the clenched fist and wonky helmet on Judae Ben-Hur, the sheer, unfettered joy on the Monty's, Schneids' and B2's faces (and the rest of them, actually), as well as Bevo's left ear (it's all I can see)... and it all comes flooding back.

Recently on the walk home from walk, a house had had its lawn mown, and I thought of Brereton's comment stating that he always equated the smell of just-mown lawns with spring - and finals time - and in a split second I'm transported back to the G, and the Swans being premiers. I relive it again, and again, and again.

I love it. I just do. No longer am I a joke for supporting a losing club. Pyss off about the game plan, tell somebody who cares. Boring? Bore me to a flag. A crap list? A crap list with premiership medals. Lame ducks? AFL's lovechild? Read your history books. Guts. Determination. Testicular fortitude. Zen. Call it what you like. We're premiers.

Sorry. Got carried away again.

Bat on...

NMWBloods
2nd December 2005, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by mocaholic
Same, but even more for me having gone overseas just afterward and not read or seen anythign of it since. Still seems surreal.

I listened to the end of the 2MMM call yesterday and was still nervous in the last few minutes - what might have been! :eek:

ScottH
2nd December 2005, 01:02 PM
Seems not that long ago that, it was just another loss, week after week, and when they did win a few in a row, it was back to losing. Hard to get that out of your head, always waiting for the wheels to fall off. Gee they must've been bolted (no pun intended) on bloody tight this year!! :D

mocaholic
2nd December 2005, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by NMWBloods
Same, but even more for me having gone overseas just afterward and not read or seen anythign of it since. Still seems surreal.

I listened to the end of the 2MMM call yesterday and was still nervous in the last few minutes - what might have been! :eek: The day after on 3AW, they replayed the last quarter call. My mrs took my girls out, but I was home with the boy (9mths at the time) who was kipping in his cot. I was back on the stubbies, drinking quickly, with all the normal gut-wrenching nervousness I get with any Swans game, walking up & down the passageway. Only this time it was the GF, and despite the fact that I knew we had won, I was pathetic, pacing up and down, biting my nails, effectively smoking without cigarettes. In those last few minutes, I was bloody angry cos we should have been three or four goals in front at the time.

When Barry took the mark, I cried. Again. By this time the boy was arcing up in his cot but I couldn't give a toss. I was in a worse state than him when I picked him up and fed him.

You know how you can remember where you were at significant points in your life? (For me, for eg, when I heard John Lennon was dead.) Well, I can still remember the physical position I was in, when the siren blew, listening to the replay radio broadcast 24 hours after the game had been decided.

Pathetic? Prolly.

I shudder to think what I would've done had Seaby had marked the thing, goaled and we had've lost.

Damien
2nd December 2005, 02:44 PM
I shudder to think what I would've done had Seaby had marked the thing, goaled and we had've lost. [/B]

Kick would have been after the siren too....has there been a kick after siren GF win in recent history? I know Collingwood lost a few at the death after being home but I can't remember if they were ever beaten after the siren.

I can't even handle the thought lol

Charlie
2nd December 2005, 02:51 PM
Off the top of my head, I can't think of an after-the-siren GF win. I doubt very much that it has ever happened.

Plugger46
2nd December 2005, 02:51 PM

Likewise. Going to the function at the Rising Sun in South Melbourne about a month ago, made it more 'real', but every now and then I sit back and say 'we actually one a flag'

Plugger46
2nd December 2005, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by Damien
Kick would have been after the siren too....has there been a kick after siren GF win in recent history?

Not that I can recall.

dimelb
2nd December 2005, 03:32 PM
I'm not over it yet either and why should we be? The diningroom table still has all the newspapers on it and I still go in and re-read a few, the posters have been laminated, we have that mark in two separate photos from The Age and The Hun, just grabbed and just after which we will frame and hang in a prominent place, I gloat over the replica cup, I wear my cap out in the sun, I contemplate the red and white wines - and it's still sinking in that we are the Premiership team. As people have said, it takes a lot of working through to establish the unfamiliar reality. And I'm more than happy to do it!

NMWBloods
2nd December 2005, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by Damien
has there been a kick after siren GF win in recent history?
There has never been one IIRC.

satchmopugdog
2nd December 2005, 07:43 PM
Shaun Hart came and spoke at our school today(and was very good...seems like a top bloke) and he was talking about being in a premiership side.

I was smugly grinning to myself over at the side thinking about our premiership. I was all set to ask questions such as,"What did you think of Leo's mark?" or "Do you think the Swans play ugly football?" but I didn't get a chance as the kids kept asking all these sensible questions. Some people are so selfish,why don't they think of me for a change?

Big Al
2nd December 2005, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by ScottH
Seems not that long ago that, it was just another loss, week after week, and when they did win a few in a row, it was back to losing. Hard to get that out of your head, always waiting for the wheels to fall off. Gee they must've been bolted (no pun intended) on bloody tight this year!! :D

I Still can't believe the fact that as I walked out of Telsta Dome in Round 10 after one of the worst performances I can remember, I said to myself that this club will never ever win a premiership. I was as down as I have ever been in my 20 years of club support.

But lo and behold a short 4 months later at 5.16pm 24th September the impossible dream was realised. I still do a double take every time we are referred to as the Reigning Premier.

Now and again I will look at the wallpaper on my computer at work (The dais shot of all the players) and shake my head and smile. My colleagues just look at me some times and think oh gee his reminiscing again.

I wonder when this surreal feeling will go away.

robbieando
2nd December 2005, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by Big Al
I Still can't believe the fact that as I walked out of Telsta Dome in Round 10 after one of the worst performances I can remember, I said to myself that this club will never ever win a premiership. I was as down as I have ever been in my 20 years of club support.

You weren't alone I tell you. I felt after that match we were as far away from winning a premiership than at any other single point in my years of following the club (the early 90's included). It wasn't the result and it certainly wasn't because of our tactics but for some unknown reason the players didn't seem interested in giving their all to win it all (oh how wrong was I) and in my eyes that worried me.

But lo and behold a short 4 months later at 5.16pm 24th September the impossible dream was realised. I still do a double take every time we are referred to as the Reigning Premier.

I still can't believe it, mainly because we didn't have any time before the match ended to let the fact sink in, that we were finally going to win it all. Once the result was known relief was the better emotion to use in discribing what I felt in the next few days. Since then I've started a new full time job after a long period of un-employment and the nature of that job has given me very little time to reflect on the game and its impact on me.

I wonder when this surreal feeling will go away.

Round One 2006 I guess. I think when the @@@@ hits the fan in a competitive match, the ride starts again.

Big Al
2nd December 2005, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by robbieando

I still can't believe it, mainly because we didn't have any time before the match ended to let the fact sink in, that we were finally going to win it all. Once the result was known relief was the better emotion to use in discribing what I felt in the next few days. Since then I've started a new full time job after a long period of un-employment and the nature of that job has given me very little time to reflect on the game and its impact on me.

Yeah exactly, utter relief was the overriding emotion at the end of the game. Ecstatic joy came later.

Congrats on the new Job. Hope it all goes well.:cool:

The Undertaker
4th December 2005, 07:50 PM
It still feels very strange and the term,"Sydney Swans-2005 AFL Premiers"makes me keep pinching myself and asking "Is it true?"

Ah well,i am still on a high and loving it!:)

goswannie14
4th December 2005, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by The Undertaker
It still feels very strange and the term,"Sydney Swans-2005 AFL Premiers"makes me keep pinching myself and asking "Is it true?"

Ah well,i am still on a high and loving it!:) I know where you are coming from:D That's one of the reasopns we went to the Melb family day today...to get another fix of the mighty Swans:cool:

The Undertaker
4th December 2005, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by goswannie14
I know where you are coming from:D That's one of the reasopns we went to the Melb family day today...to get another fix of the mighty Swans:cool: Cool,

Hope it was a great day goswannie14.

goswannie14
4th December 2005, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by The Undertaker
Cool,

Hope it was a great day goswannie14. Yeah...we had a good day...very pregnant wife and all, I think she enjoyed it as much as she can being 8 months pregnant:)

Dpw
4th December 2005, 08:23 PM
I found it very easy when the entire pub I was at went stone quite and in matter of seconds there were three rather large bouncers standing around our table as I stood on my stall and was yelling SYDNEY WINS, SYDNEY WINS and started reminding the table next to me what they were saying at the end of the third qauter, it was shortly after that the manger asked myself and friends to leave the pub for our personal saftey. We did singing the club song all the way out the entire greatest moment of my life.

goswannie14
4th December 2005, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by Dpw
I found it very easy when the entire pub I was at went stone quite and in matter of seconds there were three rather large bouncers standing around our table as I stood on my stall and was yelling SYDNEY WINS, SYDNEY WINS and started reminding the table next to me what they were saying at the end of the third qauter, it was shortly after that the manger asked myself and friends to leave the pub for our personal saftey. We did singing the club song all the way out the entire greatest moment of my life. ...and you've just sobered up enough to tell us about it;)

SheppSwanFan
4th December 2005, 08:30 PM
I was watching at home with my mate Jack... Daniels, that is.

I know when Leapin Leo took THE mark I said quote" Leo Barry, you've just won us the flag." Then all hell broke loose and the house 4 doors up went absolutely spastic. I didn't know I had a whole family of Swans supporters that close, did I.... :)

About 937 beers later I crawled home into bed... And then when I woke up at like 4pm Sunday, cleaned up the morass of tinnies.

Dpw
4th December 2005, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by goswannie14
...and you've just sobered up enough to tell us about it;)

Actually I have just been allowed back in the house as my wife and her family are Eagles members, in fact the kids and I are not allowed to even talk football not untill next season anyway:)

AussieAnge
5th December 2005, 05:45 AM
since the Swans won their last premiership and it still feels great!

mocaholic
5th December 2005, 09:04 AM
72 days >>>>>>>72 years!!

woo
5th December 2005, 09:52 AM
gosh guys, I still pinch myself daily....and remember speaking to my eagles buddies after that horrible final in perth that we lost saying "I am ticked off but but see you in the GF"....I was never to know that indeed not only would we see them in the GF but we would be winners.....

reading this thread I had goose bumps....I am buying the dvd set today, I need to see that geelong and st kilda game in full again....and who doesn't like a highlights video when its ALL GOOD! will give my other copy of the GF to someone who I know will love it....

Bazman
6th December 2005, 10:53 AM
Just finished watching the last quater of the Geelong and the last quater and a half of the St Kilda game and this arvo it's the grand final time for the 20th time. Life is good MMmmmmm Premiers

goswannie14
6th December 2005, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by Bazman
Just finished watching the last quater of the Geelong and the last quater and a half of the St Kilda game and this arvo it's the grand final time for the 20th time. Life is good MMmmmmm Premiers Just watched the Nick Davis show in the last 1/4 of the semi against Geelong. Its funny hearing the commentators and some of the things which in hindsight were pretty accurate:D

NMWBloods
7th December 2005, 10:39 AM
A couple of months ago I looked through our H&A performance and thought we had a pretty mixed season, with a few good games, a few shockers and a lot of just ordinary ones. We were just middle of the road until rd 14, when we were 8-6. After that, we really seemed to hit our straps. We managed over 15 goals per game and won 6 of our next 7 games, all fairly comfortably.

Was just watching Sensational Swans last night and reached the end of rd 14, and it further reinforced my view. We were lucky with our season, a bit like Adelaide in '97, that we hit form at the right time and there was no particularly outstanding opposition that year. Looking forward to watching rd 15 onward.

liz
7th December 2005, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by NMWBloods
We were lucky with our season, a bit like Adelaide in '97, that we hit form at the right time and there was no particularly outstanding opposition that year. Looking forward to watching rd 15 onward.

No doubt there was an element of luck - winning two finals by under a kick is testament to that on its own - but surely peaking in the second half of the season, rather than in April, is partly the result of sound planning as well.

Many were bemoaning the slow start to the season, and the no-show in the Wiz Cup, but the club obviously knew what it was doing.

Worth remembering too that in the Lions' first premiership season they were only so-so for the first half of the year, before coming with a rush in the second half. Indeed, it was only really in the middle of their their three premiership years that they were dominant for the whole season, and even then they didn't finish top at the end of the H&A.

Charlie
7th December 2005, 10:55 AM
Who cares if we were lucky?

Sanecow
7th December 2005, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by Charlie

All Premiers have "luck".

ScottH
7th December 2005, 11:55 AM
Lucks a fortune

NMWBloods
7th December 2005, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by liz
but surely peaking in the second half of the season, rather than in April, is partly the result of sound planning as well.
Yep - peaking is not just luck. Same as Adelaide, I think careful management helps produce this.

Worth remembering too that in the Lions' first premiership season they were only so-so for the first half of the year, before coming with a rush in the second half. Indeed, it was only really in the middle of their their three premiership years that they were dominant for the whole season, and even then they didn't finish top at the end of the H&A.
True, and they possibly came from a lower base and then shot to a higher level.

NMWBloods
7th December 2005, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by Charlie
It's just an observation.

katie-scarlett
7th December 2005, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by woo
gosh guys, I still pinch myself daily....and remember speaking to my eagles buddies after that horrible final in perth
that first QF loss makes the premiership win even better.
those 4 points- poetic justice ;)

NMWBloods
7th December 2005, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by Sanecow
All Premiers have "luck".
Of course they do.
Some have more than others.
Anyone who thinks there was no element of luck is just deluding themselves.