PDA

View Full Version : Will the LA match be televised?

Charlie
27th December 2005, 02:04 PM
I had assumed it would be without giving it any thought. A thread on BF, however, suggested that it isn't. Does anyone know either way?

Is it worth us inundating Channels 9 and 10 with e-mails pleading with them to televise the game?

swans05
27th December 2005, 02:09 PM
would seriously doubt it

NMWBloods
27th December 2005, 02:19 PM
I reckon my time spent not sending emails is worth more than seeing that game!

liz
27th December 2005, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by Charlie
I had assumed it would be without giving it any thought. A thread on BF, however, suggested that it isn't. Does anyone know either way?

Is it worth us inundating Channels 9 and 10 with e-mails pleading with them to televise the game?

Would think it will depend on whether any US station thinks there is a market for it. If so, they might be inclined to organise coverage, whether on their own or in conjunction with an Australian channel.

It is hard to see Nine, Ten or Fox going to the expense of covering it just for a small, diehard domestic market.

Charlie
27th December 2005, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by NMWBloods
I reckon my time spent not sending emails is worth more than seeing that game!

I'm starved of footy. It's been 94 days! :(

BonBon
27th December 2005, 02:53 PM
How long to go?

Charlie
27th December 2005, 03:04 PM
60, unless the LA game is televised.

BonBon
27th December 2005, 03:08 PM
Umm, don't you mean 90?

Charlie
27th December 2005, 03:15 PM
60 to the Kick and Giggle Cup.

NMWBloods
27th December 2005, 03:51 PM
I'd rather watch previous season replays than the crap that is an overseas end-of-season game.

Cher
27th December 2005, 05:16 PM
I watched a great replay last night. Swans beat WCE by 4 points. I hadn't seen it in full for a few weeks.

goswannie14
27th December 2005, 05:49 PM
I'd rather watch previous season replays than the crap that is an overseas end-of-season game. I remember watching them about 15 years ago...they were pretty ordinary:frown

ScottH
27th December 2005, 08:05 PM
Is it worth us inundating Channels 9 and 10 with e-mails pleading with them to televise the game? Why?

j s
27th December 2005, 10:05 PM
60 to the Kick and Giggle Cup.
Less than that to Nth Sydney!!

Big Al
27th December 2005, 11:04 PM
I'd rather watch previous season replays than the crap that is an overseas end-of-season game.

Totally Agree. I am going to livid if we get a serious injury out of this game. A waste of time IMO

goswannie14
28th December 2005, 05:39 AM
Originally posted by Big Al
Totally Agree. I am going to livid if we get a serious injury out of this game. A waste of time IMO Send the reserves...not the seniors. Actually I think that is what the coaching staff were alluding to, mainly the younger players, and new recruits.

BonBon
28th December 2005, 05:48 AM
Originally posted by goswannie14
Send the reserves...not the seniors. Actually I think that is what the coaching staff were alluding to, mainly the younger players, and new recruits.
Yeah, but others reckon that the Wizard Cup is good for us because we get fired up and ready for the 2006 season. Wizard Cup is ok, but it's taken too seriously. They should be treated as practise matches, not matches where you compete to win at the end.

When St Kilda won the Wizard Cup Grand Final, it went straight to their heads.

goswannie14
28th December 2005, 05:49 AM
Originally posted by BonBon
When St Kilda won the Wizard Cup Grand Final, it went straight to their heads. ...and their supporters went straight to being @@@@heads...:p

BonBon
28th December 2005, 05:53 AM
Originally posted by goswannie14
...and their supporters went straight to being @@@@heads...:p
It's amazing what Grand Finals do to you.

goswannie14
28th December 2005, 05:55 AM
It's amazing what Grand Finals do to you. I hope the same can't be said for us.:frown

BonBon
28th December 2005, 05:59 AM
Ofcourse not. Welcome to the 21st century.

Wardy
28th December 2005, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by Big Al
Totally Agree. I am going to livid if we get a serious injury out of this game. A waste of time IMO

totally agree - any injuries and there will be a rather large bunch of unhappy campers back here.

FootyontheBrain
28th December 2005, 03:23 PM
My understanding is that one of the networks is paying big money to have satellite transmission live back to Australia. I know there is going to be media coverage and I'm 99% certain the match will be broadcast as well.

Rest assured none of the top players will be playing in this one. I'm sure Roosy going to have a very young rotation slotted in. I read somewhere that anyone with the slightest of twinges wouldn't be getting a run.

Ajn
7th January 2006, 10:46 AM
Yeah, but others reckon that the Wizard Cup is good for us because we get fired up and ready for the 2006 season. Wizard Cup is ok, but it's taken too seriously.

NAB cup this year...not sure on whether the rules change back to normal though. Hope so, cause the super rules ruin any benefit from playing in it. Better to play "real" practice matches

hammo
9th January 2006, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by Ajn
NAB cup this year...not sure on whether the rules change back to normal though. Hope so, cause the super rules ruin any benefit from playing in it. Better to play "real" practice matches
As a form guide I think 2005 summed up the value of the Wizard Caup - Carlton win but end up with wooden spoon, Swans get smashed (can't even remember by who) and win the flag. Useful for giving young players a run but that's about it.

ScottH
9th January 2006, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by hammo
As a form guide I think 2005 summed up the value of the Wizard Caup - Carlton win but end up with wooden spoon, Swans get smashed (can't even remember by who) and win the flag. Useful for giving young players a run but that's about it. Bulldogs.

And your comments are very true. Fev and Big Red had such big wraps in the Nab cup. "The dynamic Duo, how is anyone going to stop them?". Easy, play your real defense against them rather than the 18yo kids.

Zlatorog
9th January 2006, 01:46 PM
The only reason I would watch the LA game is to our new playesrs and how are they playing.
Actually to be honest, anything that would keep me going until NAB cup. I'm desperate you know.;)

EMJ
14th January 2006, 09:46 PM
Just wondering if we will ever get the game on TV here?

ScottH
16th January 2006, 07:28 AM
So? Who won?

Lucky Knickers
16th January 2006, 07:51 AM
Starts in about 1 hour.......

ROK Lobster
16th January 2006, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by Lucky Knickers
Starts in about 1 hour....... Just heading to the ground now. Will let everyone know what happened when I get back to my hotel. Cheers.

ScottH
16th January 2006, 08:06 AM
Originally posted by ROK Lobster
Just heading to the ground now. Will let everyone know what happened when I get back to my hotel. Cheers. You better get a hurry along then.

Starts in about 1/2 they said on da radio.

j s
16th January 2006, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by ROK Lobster
Just heading to the ground now. Will let everyone know what happened when I get back to my hotel. Cheers.
L.A. is "Los Angeles" ROK - not "Lower Ainslie"

elroy67
16th January 2006, 09:15 AM
According to ABC Melbourne Qrt time Kang 2.1 to Syd 1.1 No other detalis.

stellation
16th January 2006, 09:17 AM
Has anyone found anything at all online giving any sort of update? I appreciate it is just an exhibition match, but you would think that the Internet gives the AFL and clubs the perfect vehicle to give fans a bit of love for something like this.
I had a look on afl.com.au, the more things change the more they stay the same... Last year we won the grand final and North made the finals series, now we're playing a game overseas and the only mention on the league's website is a poll down the bottom on "Who will win?". The four main news stories are on St Kilda, Melbourne, Collingwood and Hawthorn.

NMWBloods
16th January 2006, 09:17 AM
The only result I am looking forward to is "Injuries: Nil".

Mike_B
16th January 2006, 09:23 AM
The only result I am looking forward to is "Injuries: Nil".

What about "Best: Roberts-Thomson, ...."???

stellation
16th January 2006, 09:28 AM
haha. Hopefully! On the today show this morning Jude said that 6 premiership players were taking the field.

Ryan Bomford
16th January 2006, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by stellation
haha. Hopefully! On the today show this morning Jude said that 6 premiership players were taking the field.

You mean 'Hollywood' Jude B?

elroy67
16th January 2006, 10:04 AM
Half time (i think) Kang 7.4 to Syd 3.1. Not a lot of detail coming with ABC reports.

Jeffers1984
16th January 2006, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by elroy67
Half time (i think) Kang 7.4 to Syd 3.1. Not a lot of detail coming with ABC reports.
Any details on line ups?

Jeffers1984
16th January 2006, 10:14 AM
http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=242752
28 point lead to the roos. Ted Richards playing well.

elroy67
16th January 2006, 10:25 AM
3q time Kang 10.8 to Syd 3.2. Gerard Whateley declares Swans suffering premiership hangover!
:D

ScottH
16th January 2006, 10:27 AM
3q time Kang 10.8 to Syd 3.2. Gerard Whateley declares Swans suffering premiership hangover!
:D Give them a Panadol each and they will be right by April

stellation
16th January 2006, 10:31 AM
Based on the team I assume they are fielding it must be a hangover of their ACT AFL prermiership!

mocaholic
16th January 2006, 10:38 AM
That's it. We're shot. We won't win a game for the rest of the year.

robbieando
16th January 2006, 10:41 AM
Well thats it, life is no longer worth living.

We have lost the all important meaningless match. Might as well pack up and head home without bothering to defend our flag.

robbieando
16th January 2006, 10:42 AM
Based on the team I assume they are fielding it must be a hangover of their ACT AFL prermiership!

I know. How will these kids cope, after all most of them have never expirenced losing in Swan colours before.

Ryan Bomford
16th January 2006, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by mocaholic
That's it. We're shot. We won't win a game for the rest of the year.

It's not over yet! Where's Nick Davis???

cruiser
16th January 2006, 10:47 AM
I am devastated! Our season is shot. The 2005 premiership is now just a distant memory and 2006 will be nothing but misery. ;)

NMWBloods
16th January 2006, 10:47 AM
Right, no time to mess around - who do we need to trade and how should we change our game plan...

OldE
16th January 2006, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by Ryan Bomford

In the stands.

The seven premiership players are Luke Ablett, Jude Bolton, Craig Bolton, Sean Dempster, Paul Bevan, Lewis Roberts-Thomson and Nic Fosdike.

elroy67
16th January 2006, 10:51 AM
Final score Kangaroos 13.8 to Sydney 6.2

I've torn up my membership.

SimonH
16th January 2006, 10:52 AM
LRT and Fosdike-- one-game wonders. Trade 'em.

PS No mention of any injuries yet. Here's hoping.

mikesmi
16th January 2006, 10:55 AM
i wouldn't read much into it, it's only an exhibition game, the real thing starts in late march, not now

stellation
16th January 2006, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by Ryan Bomford
Researching. (http://www.nfl.com/)

stellation
16th January 2006, 10:59 AM
Right, no time to mess around - who do we need to trade and how should we change our game plan...
I say we bundle LRT, both Boltons and Fosdike to the Crows for Scott Stevens.

hammo
16th January 2006, 11:06 AM
Only scoring 6 goals is disappointing - even though it is only an exhibition game. As long as there are no injuries I'll be happy.

OldE
16th January 2006, 11:10 AM
Now for the important information: will there be photos and, if so, where. I feel the need to assess off-season haircut choices.

satchmopugdog
16th January 2006, 11:12 AM
I've gone straight into slit the wrists mode. This is more like reality...the premiership was just a dream. I knew it was too good to be true.

P.S. Glad to see Laidlaw my lovechild got a mention in despatches

satchmopugdog
16th January 2006, 11:23 AM
Erin... think Barry hall was going to part his on the side with one of those 45 degree fringes and three different coloured foils.

NMWBloods
16th January 2006, 11:48 AM
I say we bundle LRT, both Boltons and Fosdike to the Crows for Scott Stevens. If we bargain hard enough we could also get Ryan Fitzgerald and Ricky O'Loughlin...

Jeffers1984
16th January 2006, 11:55 AM
Paul Currie got 2 goals. I've heard some good raps about him. Anyone know much more about this rookie?

ScottH
16th January 2006, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by Jeffers1984
Paul Currie got 2 goals. I've heard some good raps about him. Anyone know much more about this rookie? He is a rookie.

SimonH
16th January 2006, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by Jeffers1984
Paul Currie got 2 goals. I've heard some good raps about him. Anyone know much more about this rookie? The magic of the interweb (http://www.footydraft.com/players.php?player=paul_currie) does its thing again. And I also know that he's only played one exhibition match in Swans colours, yet he already qualifies as officially overrated (http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=242807), courtesy of Ross Lyon's seemingly optimistic statement, "Paul Currie kicked three goals".

SimonH
16th January 2006, 02:20 PM
PS Have a look at the photo accompanying the official AFL match report (linked above). Tell me that Kristin Thornton hasn't been borrowing LRT's XXXL mouthguards and 'oh, @@@@@, better concentrate' facial expressions. Coincidence that he lined up at half-back? I think not.

woo
16th January 2006, 03:25 PM
I have no interest in watching this game should it be shown....but of course I am a sore loser.....and prefer to stay on the high from the season 05

where can I see a pic of ROK....?

katie-scarlett
16th January 2006, 04:44 PM
i'd watch it.
i a) need my fix b) wanna see how teddy oh teddy richards went.

woo
16th January 2006, 04:59 PM
Did Jack get a run?

cruiser
16th January 2006, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by mikesmi
i wouldn't read much into it, it's only an exhibition game, the real thing starts in late march, not now Siriously :confused:

ScottH
16th January 2006, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by cruiser
Siriously :confused: You coasters are so far behind the times.

jermaink
16th January 2006, 06:41 PM
WWWLWWWLWWWLWWWLWWWL

Maybe just continuing the pattern. (^^that ain't exact).

ROK Lobster
16th January 2006, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by mikesmi
i wouldn't read much into it, it's only an exhibition game, the real thing starts in late march, not now Fair enough, but when did a reigning premiership side last lose a pre-season game in Los Angeles and go on to defend the cup? Things are grim!

katie-scarlett
16th January 2006, 11:15 PM
but it technically wasn't the premiership team.
wasn't it only about 6 of the 22 that was in the line up?
& a lot of the players that played weren't seniors were they..?

cruiser
17th January 2006, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by Compact Disc
I'm on the tour. What number do you wear?

cruiser
17th January 2006, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by ScottH
You coasters are so far behind the times. Is that why people point and giggle at my flares and body shirts?

ScottH
17th January 2006, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by cruiser
Is that why people point and giggle at my flares and body shirts? Partially!! ;)

Sanecow
17th January 2006, 02:25 PM
I'm on the tour.

It was at best an entertaining scrap on a ground which felt like soap.

The Swans were never in the hunt in perfect conditions at UCLA stadium. (Source (http://www.sundaytimes.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,7034,17847931%255E23211,00.html))

See, now I'm confused.

But on another note:

The North Melbourne Kangaroos handily beat the world champion Sydney Swans

(Source (http://home.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/index.jsp?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20060116005512&newsLang=en))

I like the sound of that :p

ScottH
17th January 2006, 02:48 PM
I liked the World Champion bit. Very American.

Compact Disc
17th January 2006, 06:34 PM
Ask anyone who was there, people where slipping all over the place.

I saw Spriggs get bumped right infront of me and a sand came flying up about 20 inches above the ground.

goswannie14
17th January 2006, 08:17 PM
Ask anyone who was there, people where slipping all over the place.

I saw Spriggs get bumped right infront of me and a sand came flying up about 20 inches above the ground. sounds like Telstra dome a few years ago.

Provost
18th January 2006, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by ScottH
I liked the World Champion bit. Very American. Yes America, I AM the centre of the universe. World series is a common joke with American Baseball.

Good to see there was a sell out crowd of 3,000. What dose the UCLA stadium hold when college football is played there?

Eala ?ireann
18th January 2006, 01:11 AM
I like that too. My footy side is in the all-Ireland (which makes it the all-Earth) club semi-final this year and if we go on and take the honours in Croke Park on Paddy's Day we will be World Champions!!

I really like the sound of that. The yanks have always a good way to swell the ego!

katie-scarlett
18th January 2006, 01:43 AM
Originally posted by Eala ?ireann The yanks have always a good way to swell the ego!

:D [/B]

they invented the concept.