PDA

View Full Version : Dumb punters

Doctor J.
1st February 2006, 01:05 PM
Dumb punters (http://www.theage.com.au/news/geoff-mcclure/sporting-life/2006/01/31/1138590498047.html)

Can't believe what people bet on these days. This must be what is termed machine gun betting. Just place a bet on anything and some long shot is sure to surface.

Bets like this make me envious of bookies.

mocaholic
1st February 2006, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by Doctor J.
Bets like this make me envious of bookies.
Esp now that KFBP is dead!

Schneiderman
3rd February 2006, 11:30 AM
I think there are a lot of St Kilda, Geelong and WCE fans out there still trying to find a way to console themselves.

Luck my arse.

NMWBloods
3rd February 2006, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by Schneiderman
Luck my arse.
Of course there was a lot of luck.

ScottH
3rd February 2006, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by NMWBloods
Of course there was a lot of luck. Yep, and the others didn't have it.

goswannie14
3rd February 2006, 02:08 PM
Of course there was a lot of luck. You cannot win a premiership without some luck:)

RogueSwan
3rd February 2006, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by goswannie14
You cannot win a premiership without some luck:)
Like all the luck Magic had in shooting for goal in the GF.;)

NMWBloods
3rd February 2006, 02:21 PM
You cannot win a premiership without some luck:) Some people prefer to shut their eyes and not believe that as they bizarrely take it as an insult to the team...

Schneiderman
3rd February 2006, 02:48 PM
Some people prefer to shut their eyes and not believe that as they bizarrely take it as an insult to the team...

Dont see anyone saying that it was luck that got Port, Brisbane or Essendon their premierships.

NMWBloods
3rd February 2006, 03:10 PM
Dont see anyone saying that it was luck that got Port, Brisbane or Essendon their premierships. Everyone acknowledges there was an element in luck in each of them - with better luck Brisbane would have won four flags. Given their dominating performances in H&A seasons leading up to their flags, it's hardly surprising that less luck is ascribed to them than to the Swans.

Sanecow
3rd February 2006, 03:16 PM
I think the word "luck" is used as an insult. What were the specifically lucky events that led to the Swans' Premiership?

adnar
3rd February 2006, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by Sanecow
I think the word "luck" is used as an insult. What were the specifically lucky events that led to the Swans' Premiership?

Barry Hall not being suspended for the GF?

Sport is full of luck. I think we may have been slightly luckier than other teams in recent YEARS. Not to say we didn't deserve it.

Sanecow
3rd February 2006, 03:29 PM
Barry Hall being reported at all was terrible "luck" forced upon the AFL by the high-pitched-scream of television commentary.

Pommie Swannie
3rd February 2006, 03:38 PM
There is another saying (cliche?) that 'good teams make their own luck'.

I feel this is more relevant - a good side regularly puts itself in a winnable position in games where one or two decisions / incidents can be seen as having a critical impact on the outcome of a game.

If a side is 10 goals behind going in to the last 5 minutes, a contentious decision in their favour will never be game-turning and therefore will not be highlighted and analysed to death!

Thunder Shaker
3rd February 2006, 03:43 PM
Dont see anyone saying that it was luck that got Port, Brisbane or Essendon their premierships.
Only because I didn't post my analyses on RWO. No side wins a premiership without luck.

Essendon in 2000 were lucky to win the premiership. They luckily avoided injuries to key players and luckily avoided having a bad game in the finals like they did in the 1999 PF.

NMWBloods
3rd February 2006, 04:17 PM
I think the word "luck" is used as an insult. What were the specifically lucky events that led to the Swans' Premiership? Injuries to two of the key West Coast midfielders for the GF.

The SF win over Geelong. - lucky that Davis kicked the goal with seconds left, lucky Geelong had injuries.

Virtually no major long-term injuries to the Swans.

NMWBloods
3rd February 2006, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by Pommie Swannie
There is another saying (cliche?) that 'good teams make their own luck'. So does that mean a team decimated by injuries did not "make its own luck" and is thus somehow to blame?

Sanecow
3rd February 2006, 04:28 PM
Injuries to two of the key West Coast midfielders for the GF.

More than balanced by Barry's cheekbone, Hall's shoulder, O'Loughlin's concussion and Ball's headwound.

The SF win over Geelong. - lucky that Davis kicked the goal with seconds left, lucky Geelong had injuries.

If you are going to class goals as "luck" then by definition every game of footy is decided by luck.

Doyle, Schauble, Nicks, Maxfield, Goodes, O'Loughlin.

NMWBloods
3rd February 2006, 04:35 PM
More than balanced by Barry's cheekbone, Hall's shoulder, O'Loughlin's concussion and Ball's headwound. Didn't stop or hamper their ability to play.

If you are going to class goals as "luck" then by definition every game of footy is decided by luck.
I'm not talking about his class, I'm talking about the difference a few seconds made and that Geelong was dead on their feet through lack of players.

Doyle, Schauble, Nicks, Maxfield, Goodes, O'Loughlin. Schauble couldn't get a game when fit. Maxfield wasn't adding a lot. Neither was Nicks. Jolly was a more than adequate replacement for Doyle. Goodes and O'Loughlin played nearly all season.

Lucky Knickers
3rd February 2006, 04:43 PM
I've asked the footy gods for a repeat of the conditions in 2005

Sanecow
3rd February 2006, 05:09 PM
Didn't stop or hamper their ability to play.

Determination, not luck.

I'm not talking about his class, I'm talking about the difference a few seconds made and that Geelong was dead on their feet through lack of players.

A well-rehearsed set play, not luck. There was a center bounce after the goal, it's not like it was after the siren.

Schauble couldn't get a game when fit. Maxfield wasn't adding a lot. Neither was Nicks. Jolly was a more than adequate replacement for Doyle. Goodes and O'Loughlin played nearly all season.

Schauble, Maxfield, Nicks and Doyle all had long term injuries in 2005. This is the reason they underperformed or didn't make the Seniors. It's not because they suddenly forgot how to play footy.

NMWBloods
3rd February 2006, 05:19 PM
Determination, not luck. Get your hand off it...

A well-rehearsed set play, not luck. There was a center bounce after the goal, it's not like it was after the siren. The play was well-rehearsed, having 2 seconds left given everything that happened, plus the Geelong players too knackered to man up or block the space effectively or to stop the ball getting there at all, plus missing their main ruckman were all good luck.

Schauble, Maxfield, Nicks and Doyle all had long term injuries in 2005. This is the reason they underperformed or didn't make the Seniors. It's not because they suddenly forgot how to play footy. It's not like any of them would have made a significant difference to the side as it was.

Sanecow
3rd February 2006, 05:30 PM
Get your hand off it...

Hard to argue with such a clever argument. Hmm...

The play was well-rehearsed, having 2 seconds left given everything that happened, plus the Geelong players too knackered to man up or block the space effectively or to stop the ball getting there at all, plus missing their main ruckman were all good luck.

Get your hand off it...

It's not like any of them would have made a significant difference to the side as it was.

We'll have to disagree on that one. Compare Maxfield and Bevan in 2004. Still, a very odd definition of good luck.

Sanecow
3rd February 2006, 05:39 PM
O'Loughlin played nearly all season.

This is "good luck"?

"Knee tendonitis has slowed O'Loughlin. He spends every day of the week in an ice bath and training with his teammates is rarely an option."

goswannie14
3rd February 2006, 07:12 PM

I'm not talking about his class, I'm talking about the difference a few seconds made and that Geelong was dead on their feet through lack of players. Souldn't this read "dead on their feet due to lack of fitness";)

NMWBloods
3rd February 2006, 07:14 PM
Souldn't this read "dead on their feet due to lack of fitness";) No bench left.

Sanecow
3rd February 2006, 07:45 PM
No bench left.

INJURIES ? Sydney: Williams (thigh)
Geelong: King (hamstring)

Were Geelong restricted to a one-man bench?

Piobaireachd
3rd February 2006, 08:01 PM
Have to agree with all you say moo.

NMWBloods
3rd February 2006, 08:03 PM
Were Geelong restricted to a one-man bench? They had other players who couldn't run out the game due to injuries.

NMWBloods
3rd February 2006, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by Piobaireachd
Have to agree with all you say moo. Well that just about does it then - there was no luck involved and the Swans won purely because of skill and determination... hmmm so why did they not win the year before... oh well, we should win the next 3 or 4 if luck doesn't count...

Sanecow
3rd February 2006, 08:22 PM
I don't deny that there are elements of luck involved in football (duh) but for someone to suggest that the competition is so even that Premierships can be won due to luck is a joke.

NMWBloods
3rd February 2006, 09:15 PM
I don't deny that there are elements of luck involved in football (duh) but for someone to suggest that the competition is so even that Premierships can be won due to luck is a joke.
I don't recall suggesting that.

Sanecow
3rd February 2006, 09:17 PM
Of course there was a lot of luck.

Sanecow
3rd February 2006, 09:19 PM
so why did they not win the year before...

NMWBloods
3rd February 2006, 10:17 PM
"Of course there was a lot of luck" is not suggesting they won only because of luck. It suggests luck helped a lot and it was in response to someone who refused to believe there was luck.

"so why did they not win the year before... " - if you can't recognise sarcasm after all this time... time for :rolleyes: to return...

Zlatorog
3rd February 2006, 11:13 PM
Oh, Cow, you wouldn't like to contradict against people like NMWBloods. Surely he knows better than anyoneelse that the swans will grace the bottom of the ledder again. That is his righteous mission and gratification for spending his "fortune" on bets for finishing the Swans last in the competition.:p

NMWBloods
3rd February 2006, 11:54 PM
Oh FFS...

Sanecow
4th February 2006, 01:07 AM
"Of course there was a lot of luck" is not suggesting they won only because of luck. It suggests luck helped a lot and it was in response to someone who refused to believe there was luck.

The question is: Did they have more "luck" than any other team in the finals? My answer is: No.

time for :rolleyes: to return...

Suck it up, Princess.

Eala ?ireann
4th February 2006, 04:02 AM
Luck doesn't exist nor does fate, destiny or any of that other pre-ordained keek.

The team that wins games and scores goals/points in the most significant numbers at the most significant times wins.

goswannie14
4th February 2006, 07:13 AM
Originally posted by Eala ?ireann
Luck doesn't exist nor does fate, destiny or any of that other pre-ordained keek.

The team that wins games and scores goals/points in the most significant numbers at the most significant times wins. You're entitled to your opinion even if it is wrong...after all you did say cricket wasn't a sport:p

NMWBloods
4th February 2006, 11:35 AM
The question is: Did they have more "luck" than any other team in the finals? My answer is: No.
You think that Nicks and Maxfield would have been better than Braun and Kerr?

Piobaireachd
4th February 2006, 11:54 AM
Well that just about does it then - there was no luck involved and the Swans won purely because of skill and determination... hmmm so why did they not win the year before... oh well, we should win the next 3 or 4 if luck doesn't count... He never said that an element of luck is not needed to win a Premiership. Oh for the love of God where is that roll eyes. And yes they did win because of skill and determination. They are a necessary component in any Premiership of any sport of any level. Thank you.

Piobaireachd
4th February 2006, 12:13 PM
You think that Nicks and Maxfield would have been better than Braun and Kerr? Well that's football isn't it.

NMWBloods
4th February 2006, 12:22 PM
Well that's football isn't it. Thanks genius - yes this is what football is and the circumstances where some players get injured and some don't is affected a great deal by luck.

I never said skill and determination were not involved, just not the sole reason. Luck has a major part to play, predominantly through injuries.

Sanecow said - "I think the word "luck" is used as an insult. What were the specifically lucky events that led to the Swans' Premiership?" - ie: he can't see anything lucky in the win.

Subsequently modified to "I don't deny that there are elements of luck involved in football (duh) but for someone to suggest that the competition is so even that Premierships can be won due to luck is a joke." which I didn't disagree with.

Of course, then we get some insightful observations from the peanut gallery...

NMWBloods
4th February 2006, 12:32 PM
The question is: Did they have more "luck" than any other team in the finals? My answer is: No. I think the loss of Braun and injury to Kerr would push the luck element in favour of the Swans.

Suck it up, Princess. Ah, I can see that you're struggling now - trying schoolboy insults.

Sanecow
4th February 2006, 03:36 PM
I think the loss of Braun and injury to Kerr would push the luck element in favour of the Swans.

I honestly think that if Ball or Kirk or Barry or Hall had the same injury he would have played on. You can call it luck, I call it determination. As Kirk said, "The reason why we won on the weekend is because we play for each other and we bleed for each other." I didn't get that impression from other teams in 2005.

Ah, I can see that you're struggling now - trying schoolboy insults.

Get your hand off it...

Thanks genius

:eek: :D

NMWBloods
4th February 2006, 03:46 PM
I honestly think that if Ball or Kirk or Barry or Hall had the same injury he would have played on. You can call it luck, I call it determination.

"Braun has a complete rupture of the bicep femeurs tendon where it was torn from the bone" - sure they would have played through that...

Sanecow
4th February 2006, 04:20 PM
"Eagle Daniel Kerr has been cleared of a serious leg injury but will have precautionary X-rays. Kerr hurt his right shin in the opening minutes of the Grand Final."

I think they might have struggled through that one.

NMWBloods
4th February 2006, 05:08 PM
As did Kerr, but wasn't playing close to 100%. In a game decided by less than a kick, luck counts for something and Kerr being injured was a bit of luck (as was Braun not playing).

Sanecow
4th February 2006, 05:19 PM
As did Kerr, but wasn't playing close to 100%. In a game decided by less than a kick, luck counts for something and Kerr being injured was a bit of luck (as was Braun not playing).

We were very lucky that no Swans players were injured before or during the Grand Final and Eagles players were. I can't believe I ever failed to notice our incredible luck.

Piobaireachd
4th February 2006, 08:18 PM
As did Kerr, but wasn't playing close to 100%. In a game decided by less than a kick, luck counts for something and Kerr being injured was a bit of luck (as was Braun not playing). gee Mickey O was unlucky not to have kicked those gimme goals. pfft. /add roll eyes

NMWBloods
4th February 2006, 08:24 PM
You're really struggling with the concept of luck, which is hardly surprising...

ScottH
4th February 2006, 08:36 PM
Gee, I'm so lucky I read this thread.

Sanecow
4th February 2006, 08:44 PM
How lucky was Craig Bolton to have his face smashed in!

NMWBloods
4th February 2006, 08:50 PM
How lucky am I to try to involve Sanecow in a discussion when he is the master of the inane.

Piobaireachd
4th February 2006, 09:34 PM
We really need Kylie Minogue here to enlighten us on the concept of luck.

"I should be so lucky, lucky, lucky, lucky..."

satchmopugdog
4th February 2006, 09:42 PM
or the poet Yuan Hung-tao from "The Slowly, Slowly Poem," translated by Jonathan Chaves

"The Goddess of Good Luck
and the Dark Lady of Bad Luck
are with us every step we take."

ROK Lobster
4th February 2006, 10:22 PM
As Kirk said, "The reason why we won on the weekend is because we play for each other and we bleed for each other." I didn't get that impression from other teams in 2005.
I just think crap like that is a load of bollocks.

Of course you need a bit of luck to win a flag. You also need to be able to take advantage of it. Had the Weagles won, some of their fans would have been saying it is lucky Nog Ablett has no brain. We are just lucky he didn't kick across the goal twice.

Our biggest piece of luck as regards injuries was not their absence but that Maxfiled had one that kept him out for most of the year.

ROK Lobster
4th February 2006, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by satchmopugdog
or the poet Yuan Hung-tao from "The Slowly, Slowly Poem," translated by Jonathan Chaves

"The Goddess of Good Luck
and the Dark Lady of Bad Luck
are with us every step we take."
Sounds like Yuan Hung knew how to pull the babes - a goddess on one arm and a dark lady on the other. Grrrr!

Sanecow
5th February 2006, 02:05 PM
How lucky am I to try to involve Sanecow in a discussion when he is the master of the inane.

Almost as lucky as the Swans were that Bolton and Ball only received gashes to their heads and didn't hurt their shins. The most amazing good fortune was that a blow to the head didn't affect their games at all.

Sanecow
5th February 2006, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by ROK Lobster

You should rewatch the game.

Our biggest piece of luck as regards injuries was not their absence but that Maxfiled had one that kept him out for most of the year.

Sanecow
5th February 2006, 02:24 PM
We only won because Skylab killed Aunt Betty and not Jason Ball.

Debris was found between Esperance, Western Australia, and Rawlinna, Western Australia, 31?34?S, 122?126?E. As this area was sparsely populated, the only casualty was an Australian cow.

Tuesday
5th February 2006, 02:38 PM
How lucky was Craig Bolton to have his face smashed in!

How lucky was Sampi to get away with it?

Carolyn
5th February 2006, 04:43 PM
You can't win the Grand Final based purely on luck, there's got to be some skill in it as well.

NMWBloods
5th February 2006, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by Carolyn
You can't win the Grand Final based purely on luck, there's got to be some skill in it as well.
I don't recall anyone disagreeing with this view.

Nico
5th February 2006, 07:08 PM
As the saying goes, "the harder you work the luckier you get".

We won 13 of our last 16 home and away games (I think they are the numbers or thereabouts) by sheer hard work (running) hence made our own luck if you like, and worked our butts off in the finals.

When we were headed in the last Q of the GF we just worked harder and turned it around.

Regardless of injuries and any other factors our work ethic won the flag because it was a few points or a fraction of a % better than the Eagles.

In the end we won the flag and the "punters" can suffer in their jocks for all I care. Particularly the whingers from StKilda. Looked at Big Footy lately?

goswannie14
5th February 2006, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by Nico

In the end we won the flag and the "punters" can suffer in their jocks for all I care. Particularly the whingers from StKilda. Looked at Big Footy lately? Are those idiots still going on about being losers?:D

ROK Lobster
5th February 2006, 07:32 PM
You should rewatch the game.
I guess a preparedness to bleed for each other is fine so long as each player is going to give 110% of the red stuff but only do it one week at a time.

I just think crap like that is a load of bollocks. [/B] Maybe, but there was a touch of tongue in cheek in my comment. I am not sure Brett could say the same.

Pommie Swannie
6th February 2006, 08:12 AM
So does that mean a team decimated by injuries did not "make its own luck" and is thus somehow to blame?

... or does it mean thhat the Swans made their own luck with training and recovery methods that meant no serious long-term injuries among the key player group?

I guess we'll find out this season whether it really was luck if there are numerous injuries!

anne
6th February 2006, 08:28 AM
In the end we won the flag and the "punters" can suffer in their jocks for all I care. Particularly the whingers from StKilda. Looked at Big Footy lately? [/B][/QUOTE]
Yeah - it makes me really angry reading it. Sydney only won the flag by default and ST Kilda has it in the bag already for this year! Even in the general threads predicting this year's results no-one picks Sydney to win and half the people don't even pick them to make the 8! It is as though last year didn't even happy. I really hope we do well, especially at the start of the season. I hope we win our first 7 straight. Maybe that might shut them up.

anne
6th February 2006, 08:31 AM
Oops - I meant didn't even happen.

goswannie14
6th February 2006, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by anne

Yeah - it makes me really angry reading it. Sydney only won the flag by default and ST Kilda has it in the bag already for this year! Even in the general threads predicting this year's results no-one picks Sydney to win and half the people don't even pick them to make the 8! It is as though last year didn't even happy. I really hope we do well, especially at the start of the season. I hope we win our first 7 straight. Maybe that might shut them up. But they have to have brains to be shutup by facts, and we are talking about St Kilda supporters.

A St Kilda supporter with a brain...now there's an oxymoron. Or is that just a moron.:p

NMWBloods
6th February 2006, 09:27 AM
... or does it mean thhat the Swans made their own luck with training and recovery methods that meant no serious long-term injuries among the key player group?

I guess we'll find out this season whether it really was luck if there are numerous injuries!

A team can do everything it needs in terms of preparation, training and discipline, but unless the team is far superior to the others, with a bit of bad luck the campaign can very quickly lose its way.

As for making your own luck with injuries, certainly it can help with some, such as soft-tissue injuries, but it's hardly going to help if a guy falls and does his knee or breaks a leg.

NMWBloods
6th February 2006, 09:38 AM
Barry Hall being reported at all was terrible "luck" forced upon the AFL by the high-pitched-scream of television commentary. Hall was always going to be reported for punching a guy in the stomach. We were lucky that we had footage to get him off. We were also lucky that there was no footage of the Grant incident a couple of years ago or there would have been no good behaviour discount.

Sanecow
6th February 2006, 11:24 AM
There's no proof Hall even touched the guy. A total dive. Worse happens every game of every week.

Sanecow
6th February 2006, 11:31 AM
As for making your own luck with injuries, certainly it can help with some, such as soft-tissue injuries, but it's hardly going to help if a guy falls and does his knee or breaks a leg.

In-game luck summary:

Swans:
Ball: Head wound
C. Bolton: Shoulder to the nose.
J. Bolton: Head wound
Crouch: Ankle (tore ankle ligaments at the start of last quarter).
O'Loughlin: Concussion

West Coast:
Kerr: Boo boo on the shin.

Pre-game luck:

Melbourne's Herald Sun on Tuesday (Sept. 27) on page 85 listed the Sydney players who played the Grand Final under "difficulties" ...

Leo Barry: triple cheekbone fracture (knock to the face would have meant emergency surgery).
Barry Hall: AC joint injury (unable to raise left arm the week of the Grand Final), played with painkillers.
Jude Bolton: AC joint injury after dislocating shoulder in Round 19 (has had two painkilling injections every game since).
Adam Schneider: triple cheekbone fracture (knock to the face would have needed surgery).
Ben Mathews: pinched nerve in his foot (had painkilling injections for the past 16 weeks to play).
Craig Bolton: chronic knee injury had painkilling injections for the past 10 weeks to play).
Darren Jolly: broken hand (played on painkillers for four weeks before finals).

Source (http://footystats.freeservers.com/Archive/Review05-R26.html)

NMWBloods
6th February 2006, 11:41 AM
West Coast:
Kerr: Boo boo on the shin. No bias there... And Braun couldn't possibly have played with his injury, so don't make ridiculous comparisons.

Playing through injuries as the Swans did is an amazing feat, but it's something that most other players in other teams do too. However, there are certain injuries you can't.

The most amazing Swan wrt injuries is Crouch, however he is quite exceptional.

Sanecow
6th February 2006, 11:46 AM
Of course I'm biased. I don't recall any in-game injuries to Eagles other than Kerr. Do you?

Braun couldn't play, Doyle couldn't play. Luck shmuck.

NMWBloods
6th February 2006, 11:48 AM
Braun couldn't play, Doyle couldn't play. Luck shmuck. Yeah, that's a sensible comparison - how can I argue with that...

Sanecow
6th February 2006, 11:59 AM
Yeah, that's a sensible comparison - how can I argue with that...

Both injured seniors. Sorry Braun isn't a ruckman so you can dig up some stats. :rolleyes:

NMWBloods
6th February 2006, 12:05 PM
They're both people too...

Sanecow
6th February 2006, 01:25 PM
They're both people too...

You have failed to put forward a convincing argument that the Swans had any more luck than the Eagles. It's been nice toying with you.

Xie Shan
6th February 2006, 02:02 PM
You have failed to put forward a convincing argument that the Swans had any more luck than the Eagles. It's been nice toying with you.

What, not even a "Happy Birthday, Bloods"? :D

NMWBloods
6th February 2006, 02:05 PM
With arguments like Doyle is comparable to Braun, "luck schmuck", "boo boo on shin", Swans players could continue with a tendon ripped from the bone, Skylab didn't kill Ball, and Hall didn't touch Maguire, plus the masterful and cogent arguments in support from Piobaireachd and Zlatorog, how could I compete. Of course there was no luck in the premiership win...

Sanecow
6th February 2006, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by sydfan83
What, not even a "Happy Birthday, Bloods"? :D

I sent roses already.

NMWBloods
6th February 2006, 02:09 PM
I sent roses already. I assumed they were an early Valentine's Day present.

Sanecow
6th February 2006, 02:15 PM
With arguments like Doyle is comparable to Braun,

If you want to underrate our squad or overrate the opposition, knock yourself out. It's quite trendy.

"luck schmuck", "boo boo on shin",

"Get your hand off it".

Swans players could continue with a tendon ripped from the bone,

I was referring to Kerr.

Skylab didn't kill Ball

Fact.

and Hall didn't touch Maguire

The footage was inconclusive.

, plus the masterful and cogent arguments in support from Piobaireachd and Zlatorog, how could I compete. Of course there was no luck in the premiership win...

I am waiting on the immense list of injuries sustained by the Eagles in the Grand Final.

NMWBloods
6th February 2006, 02:18 PM
Obviously you don't think WC losing one of their key midfielders before the game is a piece of good luck for the Swans.

Sanecow
6th February 2006, 02:20 PM
Obviously you don't think WC losing one of their key midfielders before the game is a piece of good luck for the Swans.

I believe they used another player. Like the Swans using a ruckman with a broken hand to replace Doyle.

NMWBloods
6th February 2006, 02:30 PM
Losing Doyle, he who has played 40 games in 6 years plus only 1 game in 2005, and replacing him with either of Ball or Jolly, who had both played all year, was hardly a major negative.

Braun, had played every game averaging 22dpg, and was replaced by Sam Butler, who had 2 handballs in the GF, and is only in his second season and managing 12dpg.

Not really an even exchange. But no benefit of luck there.

Sanecow
6th February 2006, 02:43 PM
Losing Doyle, he who has played 40 games in 6 years plus only 1 game in 2005, and replacing him with either of Ball or Jolly, who had both played all year, was hardly a major negative.

Braun, had played every game averaging 22dpg, and was replaced by Sam Butler, who had 2 handballs in the GF, and is only in his second season and managing 12dpg.

Not really an even exchange. But no benefit of luck there.

You have a very twisted perspective on luck. The Swans lost their #2 ruckman in round 1 while the Eagles had Braun until the Preliminary Final. Which is more fortunate?

NMWBloods
6th February 2006, 02:50 PM
You have a very twisted perspective on luck. The Swans lost their #2 ruckman in round 1 while the Eagles had Braun until the Preliminary Final. Which is more fortunate? The combination of Ball, Jolly and Goodes was very effective in the ruck, plus Doyle has not been a critical element of the Swans' success. Who do you think would have been left out of the side if Doyle had played?

The only way our team could have been stronger is for Maxfield to have replaced Bevan.

Sanecow
6th February 2006, 03:08 PM
The combination of Ball, Jolly and Goodes was very effective in the ruck, plus Doyle has not been a critical element of the Swans' success. Who do you think would have been left out of the side if Doyle had played?

Possibly Jolly (broken hand) in the Grand Final or an earlier game. Who knows.

The only way our team could have been stronger is for Maxfield to have replaced Bevan.

With 100% fit squad:
In: Nicks, Maxfield, Doyle (?).
Out: Dempster, Bevan, Jolly (?).

Butler (16 possessions), played better than Braun (8 possessions) in round 17 when the Swans played the Eagles so I don't think it was that much of a loss for them.

Piobaireachd
6th February 2006, 03:19 PM
With arguments like Doyle is comparable to Braun, "luck schmuck", "boo boo on shin", Swans players could continue with a tendon ripped from the bone, Skylab didn't kill Ball, and Hall didn't touch Maguire, plus the masterful and cogent arguments in support from Piobaireachd and Zlatorog, how could I compete. Of course there was no luck in the premiership win... Oh shut up duckhead and stop bringing me in to your argument.

I said my piece early on by saying I agreed with Sanecow, you took offence to it and threw a hissy fit. You then go on to continually rubbish me in front of every viewer with your sarcastic wit. How droll \rolleyes. Just where do u get off? My guess is right in front of your keyboard.

You want to have a go at me you do it via PM.

I do not appreciate being personally attacked on these or any forums. Naturally, I will respond. If the mods don't like what I have to say in retaliation... well stiff! That's what the banning rule is there for. But just remember, it takes two to tango. There's too much favouritism that goes on in this forum anyway. Rules that apply to one person never seem to apply to others.

Thank you.

Pommie Swannie
6th February 2006, 03:19 PM
Perhaps of greater impact for the eagles was the loss of Matera, given their inability to convert?

Bleed Red Blood
6th February 2006, 03:27 PM
Perhaps of greater impact for the eagles was the loss of Matera, given their inability to convert?

They should have played him.

Crouch stopped Judd. If Matera was there Crouch would have had to play on the little guy.

floppinab
6th February 2006, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by anne
I hope we win our first 7 straight. Maybe that might shut them up. [/B]

Won't happen, you're forgetting our obligatory 3 game or greater losing streak between rounds 3 and 9.

NMWBloods
6th February 2006, 03:38 PM
stop bringing me in to your argument. Then don't jump into my argument as you so often do.

NMWBloods
6th February 2006, 03:39 PM
Perhaps of greater impact for the eagles was the loss of Matera, given their inability to convert? I was wondering about Matera. He has struggled badly in finals, but he may have been a useful option in such a low-scoring game and been a distraction for Crouch who was badly needed on Judd.

Pommie Swannie
6th February 2006, 03:43 PM
I was wondering about Matera. He has struggled badly in finals, but he may have been a useful option in such a low-scoring game and been a distraction for Crouch who was badly needed on Judd.

Given the amount of times the ball failed to stick inside 50 for the eagles, I think having Matera crumbing around would have caused the Swans defence a totally different problem. The eagles were just too one-dimensional up front on the day.

Piobaireachd
6th February 2006, 04:06 PM
Then don't jump into my argument as you so often do. I have as much right to state my opinion as you do u sanctimonious little man

NMWBloods
6th February 2006, 04:11 PM
I have as much right to state my opinion as you do u sanctimonious little man
Then don't complain and say "stop bringing me in to your argument". Whenever I am involved your opinions are negative toward me, and have been since you joined, so don't cry "poor me I've been personally attacked".

BTW - 'u' is not a word.

Sanecow
6th February 2006, 04:24 PM
I think Matera's omission was a massive mistake. I haven't re-watched the game but I thought the switch to a smaller forward line turned the game in the favour of the Eagles in the last quarter of the QF. I might be misremembering though, I don't have quarter-by-quarter stats at hand.

Pommie Swannie
6th February 2006, 04:31 PM
I think Matera's omission was a massive mistake. I haven't re-watched the game but I thought the switch to a smaller forward line turned the game in the favour of the Eagles in the last quarter of the QF. I might be misremembering though, I don't have quarter-by-quarter stats at hand.

I agree, but I think the biggest mistake was holding out for as long as possible before pulling him from the 22. It seemed to me that they didn't plan for Matera not being available. Consequently when he had to be withdrawn they didn't really have a replacement and therefore had to change their game plan at the last minute.

ROK Lobster
6th February 2006, 07:37 PM
I think Matera's omission was a massive mistake. A stroke of luck by jove.

ROK Lobster
6th February 2006, 07:38 PM
I have as much right to state my opinion as you do u sanctimonious little man You do not have that right. Neither does he. It is just that there is no prohibition against it. Completely different things.

Sanecow
6th February 2006, 07:40 PM
A stroke of luck by jove.

I believe it was a decision made by the Eagles' match committee. Unless their methods involve the tossing of a coin then it has nothing to do with luck.

ROK Lobster
6th February 2006, 07:43 PM
I believe it was a decision made by the Eagles' match committee. Unless their methods involve the tossing of a coin then it has nothing to do with luck. But isn't it luck for the Swans? If you go through a red light (on the red light) camera that has mistakenly been switched off isn't that a little lucky?

Sanecow
6th February 2006, 07:48 PM
Fair enough. If you define every skill error and poor decision made by the opposition as "lucky for the Swans" then you can consider the Grand Final win lucky. Strange definition though.

ROK Lobster
6th February 2006, 08:11 PM
Fair enough. If you define every skill error and poor decision made by the opposition as "lucky for the Swans" then you can consider the Grand Final win lucky. Strange definition though. Luck helps, that's all. To say that the Swans had a bit of luck in winning the Premiership is not to say that they were lucky to win it.

goswannie14
6th February 2006, 09:24 PM
You cannot win a premiership without some luck:) Which takes us back to where the discussion started;)

Sanecow
6th February 2006, 09:26 PM
I just disagree with a definition of luck that reduces the game to events that are always classed as lucky for one of the teams. Dumb punters indeed.

ROK Lobster
6th February 2006, 09:32 PM
Why cow? I thought West Coast had some luck too. Week 1 of the finals, Nog's kick across the face of goal. I think of luck as things that go your your way thjat you have no control over. If you don't have any of that, or even enough of that, you wont win flag. That is not to say that with enough of it you will win a flag.

Sanecow
6th February 2006, 09:39 PM
I think of luck as things that go your your way that you have no control over.

I think of luck more as things that go your way that nobody has control of. This includes: gusts of wind, seagulls, the bounce of the loose ball and (some) injuries but excludes selection of players, inaccurate kicking and other skill errors.

ROK Lobster
6th February 2006, 09:48 PM
I think of luck more as things that go your way that nobody has control of. This includes: gusts of wind, seagulls, the bounce of the loose ball and (some) injuries but excludes selection of players, inaccurate kicking and other skill errors. So do you think that any element off good luck has to have a corresponding element of bad luck? So if something is just poor management on one side it cannot be good luck on the other?

Sanecow
6th February 2006, 09:58 PM
So do you think that any element off good luck has to have a corresponding element of bad luck? So if something is just poor management on one side it cannot be good luck on the other?

That's the way I see it. Poor management or skills from the opposition isn't luck, it's just sub-standard opposition.

ROK Lobster
6th February 2006, 10:00 PM
That's the way I see it. Poor management or skills from the opposition isn't luck, it's just sub-standard opposition. So the traffic example above is not good luck, just poor standard policing?

Sanecow
6th February 2006, 10:11 PM
So the traffic example above is not good luck, just poor standard policing?

The camera was off; it was never going to take your picture. It's no luckier than running a red and the intersection having no camera.

If the camera was defective and worked intermittently then maybe.

Tuesday
6th February 2006, 11:17 PM
Which takes us back to where the discussion started;)

Quoting yourself is the first sign of madness.

goswannie14
7th February 2006, 06:32 AM
Originally posted by Tuesday
Quoting yourself is the first sign of madness. So is posting on RWO;)

Zlatorog
7th February 2006, 08:00 AM
Is this thread still about Dumb Punters or about Dumb RWO Posters?:D

goswannie14
7th February 2006, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by Zlatorog
Is this thread still about Dumb Punters or about Dumb RWO Posters?:D You're leading with your chin on that one!:p

NMWBloods
7th February 2006, 09:17 AM
Is this thread still about Dumb Punters or about Dumb RWO Posters?:D I don't think you became the subject of the thread...

Zlatorog
7th February 2006, 11:11 AM
I don't think you became the subject of the thread...

I know, it's all about you, isn it?

NMWBloods
7th February 2006, 11:16 AM
I know, it's all about you, isn it? Wrong again!

Sanecow
7th February 2006, 11:25 AM
It's about the vibe.

cressakel
7th February 2006, 11:39 AM
Injuries to two of the key West Coast midfielders for the GF.

Shall we even these so-called LUCKY events out against being extremely UNLUCKY in 1997 when the following occured -

1. The King (Paul Kelly) doing his knee in Round 17 against Port Adelaide when the Swans were flying at 12 wins/4 losses and Kelly was killing em' throughout the season
2. Lockett, Schwass and Cresswell all sustaining injuries towards the end of the season that made them either below there best or out the team thus robbing the Swans of midfield strength and a key forward
3. Adelaide winning the flag from fifth after losing there first final and playing against injury-riddled teams the likes of Sydney and St.Kilda.

In my opinion, 1997 was the year that slipped through our hands via a combination of UNLUCKY events, whereas 2005 was the year that was meant to be through a combination of LUCKY events.

NMWBloods
7th February 2006, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by cressakel
In my opinion, 1997 was the year that slipped through our hands via a combination of UNLUCKY events, whereas 2005 was the year that was meant to be through a combination of LUCKY events. Yep. '98 was a bit unlucky too.

cressakel
7th February 2006, 02:06 PM
Yep. '98 was a bit unlucky too.

Actually, you are correct. It was 1998 that all the events mentioned happened, not 1997. I am still so delirious from the events of this year that the previous years seem all as one heap of dissapointments.....

NMWBloods
7th February 2006, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by cressakel
Actually, you are correct. It was 1998 that all the events mentioned happened, not 1997. I am still so delirious from the events of this year that the previous years seem all as one heap of dissapointments.....
I thought that may have been the case, but I sometimes get the two years confused. As I recall though, we had a bad start to '97 too with Stafford being injured and missing much of the pre-season. Still, I think our dismal finish in '97 may have been our own fault.

goswannie14
7th February 2006, 02:42 PM
I thought that may have been the case, but I sometimes get the two years confused. As I recall though, we had a bad start to '97 too with Stafford being injured and missing much of the pre-season. Still, I think our dismal finish in '97 may have been our own fault. The game against Footscray was a shocker...I took Dad as his Fathers Day present...sorry Dad!!

Princess Diana was buried that same night, and I split up with the ex-wife during that week. It is a week I would rather forget but it just isn't possible.:frown

Nico
7th February 2006, 07:54 PM
Yep. '98 was a bit unlucky too.

Forget about luck. How many times have you heard a racing scribe say a horse was unlucky last or ran without luck, then pick it to win, and it doesn't.

Life is a numbers game, pure and simple.

ROK Lobster
7th February 2006, 08:18 PM
This thread named a 'one of the great sporting debates' by SMH (sort of)...

A MAJOR review of the AFL's reporting and tribunal system has done little to settle one of the great sporting debates: whether Swans full-forward Barry Hall was lucky to escape a suspension that would have kept him out of the grand final - and perhaps cost the Swans their historic flag.
Sauce (http://www.smh.com.au/news/afl/new-guidelines-prove-hall-was-innocent--sort-of/2006/02/06/1139074167375.html)

goswannie14
7th February 2006, 10:02 PM
According to this definition from the same article he still would have got off;
As part of a series of changes for 2006, the definition of "behind play" has been altered to incidents that do not occur "within close proximity to the ball or occurs at a location which could not reasonably be regarded as an option for the delivery of the ball".

He was regarded as an option to receive the ball, and if a senior AFL player can't kick 30 metres (which is about the distance Barry was from the ball), they shouldn't be playing.

liz
7th February 2006, 10:33 PM
According to this definition from the same article he still would have got off;

He was regarded as an option to receive the ball, and if a senior AFL player can't kick 30 metres (which is about the distance Barry was from the ball), they shouldn't be playing.

Furthermore, they've downgraded the activation points for the in-play / behind the play designation, meaning that even if the incident had been deemed to be behind the play he would get the same number of points for that incident in 2006 that he finally landed up with in 2005.