PDA

View Full Version : Hyphenator a dashing defender

ScottH
20th February 2006, 06:40 AM
Link - SMH (http://www.smh.com.au/news/afl/hyphenator-a-dashing-defender/2006/02/19/1140283948031.html)

Bigger, Stronger, Faster and hopefully smarter, than 12 months ago.

ROK Lobster
20th February 2006, 07:02 AM
Roberts-Thomson was named Sydney's best player in a poll of 15,000 fans on the Swans' website.And people wonder why Swans fans are regarded by many as AFL ignorant. If LRT was our BOG in the Grand Final then our premiership was a fluke.

goswannie14
20th February 2006, 07:08 AM
Originally posted by ROK Lobster
And people wonder why Swans fans are regarded by many as AFL ignorant. If LRT was our BOG in the Grand Final then our premiership was a fluke. He was close to it but I felt that Fosdike was BOG...but I won't get back on that bandwagon:)

ScottH
20th February 2006, 07:25 AM
And people wonder why Swans fans are regarded by many as AFL ignorant. If LRT was our BOG in the Grand Final then our premiership was a fluke. He was BOG in the 1st half.

Ruck'n'Roll
20th February 2006, 09:03 AM
And people wonder why Swans fans are regarded by many as AFL ignorant. If LRT was our BOG in the Grand Final then our premiership was a fluke.

Go boil yourself Lobster, Scott's right his grandfinal was extremely good.
Incidentally while he also played a great game during Friday's kick and giggle. It was interesting to see him play in the absence of most of his senior colleagues, he looked and played like the senoir player. It's early days (and only kick and giggle) but he could well succeed Leo as captain of the backs one day.

liz
20th February 2006, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by Ruckman
It was interesting to see him play in the absence of most of his senior colleagues, he looked and played like the senoir player.

I noticed a similar thing with Dempster. As soon as he ran down to his end for the start of the first quarter he had this air about him of "I'm one of the senior guys here".

Ruck'n'Roll
20th February 2006, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by liz
I noticed a similar thing with Dempster. As soon as he ran down to his end for the start of the first quarter he had this air about him of "I'm one of the senior guys here".

Adsolutely agreed, he too looked like he belongend, I expect Dempster (& LRT) to have a fantastic season, fighting out the most improved.

Jeffers1984
20th February 2006, 10:35 AM
LRT has muscled up significantly which is more important than standard bulking up.

katie-scarlett
20th February 2006, 10:56 AM
I rate his focus on his football highly.

stellation
20th February 2006, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by Jeffers1984
LRT has muscled up significantly which is more important than standard bulking up.
He still has skinny legs and hips, I thought it made him look even more like a comic book character. I think we'll still see Craig Bolton playing a decent amount of CHB this year.

Roscoe
20th February 2006, 04:50 PM
LRT easily outpointed Lucas on Friday night

He has courage - you can't teach that, but his skills and how to read the play have improved with experience plus input from Roos who IIRC was a "fair" CHB himself and also help from the full back of the century.

Eade made the mistake of trying to make Saddington into a CHB when he was not - but to his defence what other option of the players he had in his squad was there ?

LRT will only improve with experience

my 12 year old has played 150 games of AFL footy which is more
than LRT - he was a late starter and has had some injuries and I'm really excited about the fact that we now have a tall, big bodied courageous player down back

adnar
20th February 2006, 04:55 PM
I had $10 at $1501-1 on LRT to win Norm Smith last year. I felt I was in with a chance at half time.

goswannie14
20th February 2006, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by Roscoe
LRT easily outpointed Lucas on Friday night

He has courage - you can't teach that, but his skills and how to read the play have improved with experience plus input from Roos who IIRC was a "fair" CHB himself and also help from the full back of the century. I have been impressed with LRT's courage from his first game, I think that the reading of play is something that is developing, and it certainly has helped with SOS giving him some pointers.

NMWBloods
20th February 2006, 05:17 PM
LRT will only improve with experience I don't like this expression. He will most likely improve with experience. However, there is also a chance that he will not get better over time.

rastus
20th February 2006, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by NMWBloods
I don't like this expression. He will most likely improve with experience. However, there is also a chance that he will not get better over time.

Whilst you are playing with the language and the various possibilities you might also mention that he could be hit by a bus before round 1. I reckon however that he is more likely to improve with experience than be hit by a bus. I know you would find it hard to agree with this as it doesn't fit your optimistic view on life.

Roscoe
20th February 2006, 06:21 PM
thanks for your support rastus.

Bloods with over 7000 posts your are maybe getting cynical, old

negative and past your use by date

keep petty crap like your last post to BIG FOOTY

lets try and be positive and objective !!!

desredandwhite
20th February 2006, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by liz

Seany will be club captain one day - that's my prediction. Ever since his debut, I don't think he has looked out of place in the senior side. Seems to have uncanny awareness of his surroundings and hardly ever looks rushed.

King Lewie has gone from strength to strength. I think turning point for him would have been his great game against Brisbane at Telstra Stadium. After that, it was not as heart-stopping to see the ball head his way ;)

Hopefully they both continue their brilliant progress. Hopefully more Tadhg than Stefan ;)

ROK Lobster
20th February 2006, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by Ruckman
Go boil yourself Lobster, Scott's right his grandfinal was extremely good. He played well. He played his best game. He may have even played above himself. But hee was not BOG, or even close. A big bloke with blonde hair gets some loose ball in he middle of the paddock and he is BOG in a Grand Final.

NMWBloods
20th February 2006, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by rastus
Whilst you are playing with the language and the various possibilities you might also mention that he could be hit by a bus before round 1. I reckon however that he is more likely to improve with experience than be hit by a bus. I know you would find it hard to agree with this as it doesn't fit your optimistic view on life.
thanks for your support rastus.

Bloods with over 7000 posts your are maybe getting cynical, old

negative and past your use by date

keep petty crap like your last post to BIG FOOTY

Yawn yawn... hate to have a different opinion...

That expression is used for so many young footballers, yet more fail than not. I think LRT will improve, but we'll see whether it's enough to be a vey good footballer.

Someone said the year before that Bevan can only improve, but he didn't last year.

Sanecow
20th February 2006, 07:11 PM
Someone said the year before that Bevan can only improve, but he didn't last year.

Premiership winner. Better than Buckley.

ROK Lobster
20th February 2006, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by Sanecow
Premiership winner. Better than Buckley. Better than Roos, better than Kelly, better than Lockett, better than Dale Lewis!

ROK Lobster
20th February 2006, 07:21 PM
lets try and be positive and objective !!! Which is to be prefered, positive subjectivism or negative objectivism?

(Should overuse of exclamation marks be a banning offence?!?!?!)

Casey36
20th February 2006, 07:28 PM
Yes I agree! He has definitely improved quite alot from 12 months ago. I seriously didnt like him much at the beginning, but i think he is growing on me now. Lol Go Da Swans!:p

NMWBloods
20th February 2006, 07:43 PM

Which is to be prefered, positive subjectivism or negative objectivism?

I assume he actually meant "lets [sic] try and be positive not objective" but the 'not' word was considered too negative to use.

ROK Lobster
20th February 2006, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by Casey36
Yes I agree! He has definitely improved quite alot from 12 months ago. I seriously didnt like him much at the beginning, but i think he is growing on me now. Lol Go Da Swans!:p Bloods, take note. This is a model post.

NMWBloods
20th February 2006, 07:45 PM
Bloods, take note. This is a model post. Thanks - I've added it to my 'must try harder to be subjectively positive this year' mantra.

ROK Lobster
20th February 2006, 07:47 PM
Thanks - I've added it to my 'must try harder to be subjectively positive this year' mantra. That's the (positive) spirit! LOL!!!

Old Royboy
20th February 2006, 07:49 PM
It would not be RWO if Nick wasn?t injecting his half glass empty p.o.v. on us.

The career paths of most footballers have ups and downs ? last year LRT went up and Bevo went down. Long term, the NRC?s will get the best out of themselves whilst the RC?s will not. (the gospel according to Ricky) LRT is no RC, he will get the best out of himself and be a good player for us in years to come, but not I think a really great one because he lacks natural instinct and appears to be one of the blunter instruments in the Swan?s toolshed. Experience will help him to make decisions more quickly, and I also hope that he does some work on his kick penetration, as poor kicking is still a serious flaw in his game.

goswannie14
20th February 2006, 08:47 PM
He played well. He played his best game. He may have even played above himself. But hee was not BOG, or even close. A big bloke with blonde hair gets some loose ball in he middle of the paddock and he is BOG in a Grand Final. Why not? A little blonde haired bloke who got some loose ball in the middle of the paddock and continually kicked it to the opposition was officially awarded that honour.:confused:

Nico
20th February 2006, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by rastus

Lot of buses in Sydney though.

Nico
20th February 2006, 08:56 PM
Which is to be prefered, positive subjectivism or negative objectivism?

(Should overuse of exclamation marks be a banning offence?!?!?!)

What about some positively, negative optimism.

Nico
20th February 2006, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by Old Royboy
It would not be RWO if Nick wasn?t injecting his half glass empty p.o.v. on us.

The career paths of most footballers have ups and downs ? last year LRT went up and Bevo went down. Long term, the NRC?s will get the best out of themselves whilst the RC?s will not. (the gospel according to Ricky) LRT is no RC, he will get the best out of himself and be a good player for us in years to come, but not I think a really great one because he lacks natural instinct and appears to be one of the blunter instruments in the Swan?s toolshed. Experience will help him to make decisions more quickly, and I also hope that he does some work on his kick penetration, as poor kicking is still a serious flaw in his game.

Well I'll be buttered on both sides, I thought LRT was a Roman Catholic. You learn something new every day.

ScottH
21st February 2006, 06:23 AM
Originally posted by Nico
Lot of buses in Sydney though. Madeline West.

ScottH
21st February 2006, 06:27 AM
He played well. He played his best game. He may have even played above himself. But hee was not BOG, or even close. A big bloke with blonde hair gets some loose ball in he middle of the paddock and he is BOG in a Grand Final. That was because he was either

a) Lost like he was for most of the season, and the Eagles kicking was so bad they kept kicking it directly to him.

or

b) his opponent thought he was a waste of space and left him all by himself to get free ball. (Paid him no respect)

or/and

c) he has actually learnt how to read the ball/play and managed (somehow) to get his blonde mop in the right place at the right time.

Whatever the answer he will be better for the experience, and can only improve from that.

ScottH
21st February 2006, 06:28 AM
Originally posted by goswannie14
Why not? A little blonde haired bloke who got some loose ball in the middle of the paddock and continually kicked it to the opposition was officially awarded that honour.:confused: :confused:

What little blonde haired bloke?

ROK Lobster
21st February 2006, 07:06 AM
Originally posted by ScottH

Whatever the answer he will be better for the experience, and can only improve from that. That may or may not be the case. My original comment was that the enough of the 15,000 fans that voted on the Swans website considered LRT to be BOG in the GF. And there was no way he was. He wasn't even BOG for the first half.

As for the "he will only improve" tag - talk about faint praise. I am sure rastus', Roscoe's and Ruckman's qulaity of posts will only improve with more practice - C'mon guys stay positive, you can do it!

ScottH
21st February 2006, 07:57 AM
That may or may not be the case. My original comment was that the enough of the 15,000 fans that voted on the Swans website considered LRT to be BOG in the GF. And there was no way he was. He wasn't even BOG for the first half. Maybe LRT logged on and voted 15,000 times.

As for the "he will only improve" tag - talk about faint praise. I am sure rastus', Roscoe's and Ruckman's qulaity of posts will only improve with more practice - C'mon guys stay positive, you can do it! Positive like: -
MO'L, injures his knee walking to breakfast. Out for first 5 rounds.

ihamilto
21st February 2006, 11:01 AM
:confused:

What little blonde haired bloke?
Exactly what I was thinking since when has Chris Judd had blonde hair. On LRT I remember first seeing his name mentioned on the under 17 tour of Ireland apparantly Australia was well behind and he was switched to CHB at half time and became a matchwinner, so the talent has always been there but it has been a slow learning curve, certainly the tutoring from Carltons fullback of the century helped and his grand final performance was excellent.
As for our best player in the grand final Buchanon must have been very close, for a player who does not have a lot of height and who was delisted by the club his grand final performance was one to be admired.
cheers Ian :)

Sanecow
21st February 2006, 12:15 PM
That was because he was either

a) Lost like he was for most of the season, and the Eagles kicking was so bad they kept kicking it directly to him.

or

b) his opponent thought he was a waste of space and left him all by himself to get free ball. (Paid him no respect)

or/and

c) he has actually learnt how to read the ball/play and managed (somehow) to get his blonde mop in the right place at the right time.

Whatever the answer he will be better for the experience, and can only improve from that.

Have you not been paying attention? Anything that happens in a game of footy is luck. Obviously it could go either way in 2006. It's common sense.

ScottH
21st February 2006, 12:52 PM
Thanks, Lucky you pointed that out.

goswannie14
21st February 2006, 02:50 PM
:confused:

What little blonde haired bloke? Sorry...thought he was using the same peroxide that his Mum was using.:o

Lucky Knickers
21st February 2006, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by goswannie14
Sorry...thought he was using the same peroxide that his Mum was using.:o

Nah - that's Warnie (along with the diuretics). Different game entirely.

goswannie14
21st February 2006, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by Lucky Knickers
Nah - that's Warnie (along with the diuretics). Different game entirely. Thanks, maybe I need to take a Bex and have a lie down.:o