PDA

View Full Version : What effect will the Swans budget problems have on grassroots?

Charlie
3rd June 2003, 09:03 PM
How much does NSW/ACT footy rely on Swans money? A lot? Not at all? What would be the consequences if the Swans withdrew their development funding?

Phil Doyle
3rd June 2003, 09:15 PM
The Swans do nothing for grass roots footy at a senior level. If the Swans folded it would free up some time for people to get involved with their community rather than gicing money to some corporate fraud upon the sensibilities of those who love football.

They do a token bit at a junior level; but the vast, vast majority of the work is done by a lot of burning out volunteers. Even their junior work is based on the selfish ideal of looking for their own horseflesh, rather than an altruistic desire to advance football.

Why don't you go down and ask at your local club Charlie? I'm sure they'll have something useful for you to do.

And if anyone here can find out what exactly the figure is for development funding in NSW I'd be keen to hear it. In two years of asking no one can give, or is available to give me, an answer.

I think you'll find the majority of the football development budget in NSW is provided directly to the NSWAFL from the AFL.

j s
4th June 2003, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by Phil Doyle
And if anyone here can find out what exactly the figure is for development funding in NSW I'd be keen to hear it. In two years of asking no one can give, or is available to give me, an answer.
There is usually a figure stated in each year's annual report (if you can find it) but it lumps everything together (including the RAMS which probably take most of it). The RAMS have been scaled back this year but I haven't seen much evidence of more funding reaching grass roots.

the manager
4th June 2003, 01:24 PM
If the Swans go under because of poor mismangement, it will signal the end of football in Sydney, maybe not straight away, but maybe 1-2 years if they go under.

IF THE AFL HAD A HEART THEY WOULD AND HOPEFULLY WILL BAIL THE SWANS OUT OF THIS

Phil Doyle
4th June 2003, 03:08 PM
Don't worry Benny, the AFL will look after them, despite the fact that they don't have a heart.

Mind you, I think your initial assertion is doubtful Before the Swans Sydney footy had a fair sized following. There are quite a few people at a club level in Sydney who will tell you that the Swans haven't been good for club footy.

Lensman
5th June 2003, 04:11 PM
If the Swans go under because of poor mismangement, it will signal the end of football in Sydney, maybe not straight away, but maybe 1-2 years if they go under.

I dont think you know what you are saying if you say that if the swans fold, it will be the end of football in Sydney.

You may have read that the Sydney AFL is celebrating its 100th year in Sydney - Quite logically, most of that has been without the swans.

The swans won't fold - Footy in Sydney will not die - there are too many (and in some cases too few) passionate footy followers in the Sydney AFL.