PDA

View Full Version : Game opportunities for the Mountain Lions

Phil Doyle
5th June 2003, 01:59 PM
Hello all,

As you know this year we formed the Katoomba-Lithgow Mountain Lions. We are playing on an invitational basis in the Central West Australian Football League. We are extremely keen to expand the number of games we have scheduled for this year.

Obviously in starting a new club and attracting sponsors and community interest we are interested in scheduling as many games as we can at Katoomba (the highest Australian Football venue in the country!), but we are also prepared to travel.

We want to play footy!

Our free weekends at this stage are:

July5/6, 12/13, 19/20
August 9/10
September 5/6, 13/14, 19/20, 27/28

If any clubs are interested in taking up this opportunity and helping out a new football club then feel free to email me at [email protected] or phone me on 0415 463 585

Richo
5th June 2003, 06:21 PM
Seriously man, tell the AFLNSWACT to get suttfed and join divvy two of the SFA!

No disrespect meant to the CWAFL.

Phil Doyle
6th June 2003, 03:01 AM
The NSWACT AFL Run Div 2 of the SFA, so we can't join by telling them to get stuffed.

Richo
6th June 2003, 08:56 AM
Ah well then, that could be a problem.

Was it them who said it was too far for Sydney clubs to go to Katoomba, or was it the clubs themselves?

j s
6th June 2003, 05:01 PM
Woollongong to Katoomba is a VERY long way!!

TheMase
6th June 2003, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by j s
Woollongong to Katoomba is a VERY long way!!
Around 2hrs 15 minutes

Can hardly complain!

Dubbo to Katoomba is 3 hours 45 minutes!!

Bathurst to Dubbo is 2 hours 30 minutes

j s
6th June 2003, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by TheMase
Around 2hrs 15 minutes
By helicopter??

TheMase
6th June 2003, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by j s
By helicopter??

No idea
I based it on the travel planner I put into www.racq.com.au

2 hours and 17 minutes it said

j s
6th June 2003, 05:47 PM
....and you think queenslanders know how slow Sydney traffic is???

My guess would be more like 3 1/2 hours Woolongong-Katoomba

Phil Doyle
7th June 2003, 02:34 PM
Apart from the fact that in SFA Div 2 we don't play Wollongong j s, we have already approached many clubs in the Illawarra League (Couth Coast AFL) to see if we can tee up a game.

Last Tuesday we did Katoomba to Kembla Grange (which is near Albion Park) in 2 hours 20 mins. You don't go through Sydney. Katoombe - Penrith - Campbelltown - Appin - Wollongong.

While your contribution is certainly fascinating j s it doesn't really offer us a game now does it? Are you suggesting that perhaps in the intersts of football we should give up and go and play soccer? Katoomba, like Wollongong, is on the Sydney Interurban Train Network. The orientation of the Blue Mountains economy, social life and future is towards the Sydney basin. It would HELP US ENORMOUSLY to be playing in the Sydney Football Association Div 2. To ask SFA Div 2 clubs to travel here once a year is hardly going to ruin them - especially when one considers that the alternative for us is to spend every second week travelling in excess of 400 kilometres. Also, I doubt whether we could field even an under 17's side on a regular basis as our experience is that Blue Mountains parents are very suburban and simply won't allow their children to travel those sorts of distances. The alternative is for us to field under 14 and under 16 sides in the Penrith Junior AFL.

These are very real problems j s. Do you have a very rteal solution? Is your club available to play us on any of the days mentioned above?