PDA

View Full Version : Story in Herald Sun today

SWANSBEST
31st January 2003, 06:44 AM
Decision within fortnight.
Maxfield the favourite but Nicks , Saddington. Crouch, Mickey o and Matthews also under consideration. I am surprised that Williams is not in the mix.

DST
31st January 2003, 10:42 AM
According to the Herald Sun, Maxwell is in line to captain us next year?

Does anyone know if that was Maxwell Smart they were referring too?

:D :D :D :

bricon
31st January 2003, 11:16 AM
Here?s a <a href="http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,5913367%255E20322,00.html"><b>link</b></a> to the Herald-Sun article.

If Paul Williams isn?t being seriously considered for the captaincy, it can only be because he doesn?t want it.

TheHood
31st January 2003, 12:23 PM
I am not sure on this one.

I am worried because there is not an obvious successor.

The older guys seem to be more and more out of the running and the young blokes aren't ready.

As much as I respect Crouchy, I don't think he has the respect of the rest of the AFL as he is seen as a tagger and what team has a tagger as its skipper?

As for Ben Matthews? Who has Ben in their top 5 for captaincy material? He just isn't up to it.

Nicksy is out. He needs to concentrate on his game in 2003.

I've talked Goodesy up before and would like to see him skipper maybe this year but definitely next year.

I think they need to make either Willo or Maxi skipper for 2003 and Goodesy VC, with the intention of skipper in 2004.

I must admit, starting to warm to Micky O because I think he needs that extra responsibility added to improve his motivation and accountability.

Cheer Cheer
31st January 2003, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by SWANSBEST
Decision within fortnight.
Maxfield the favourite but Nicks , Saddington. Crouch, Mickey o and Matthews also under consideration. I am surprised that Williams is not in the mix.

Yes that was my first reaction.
Either it was an error by the paper, or willo doesnt want it - simple as that - cause if he wanted it he would be in the top 3 candidates

Diego
31st January 2003, 03:26 PM
We need a "Do as I do and not as I say" Captain.

And I can't really think of anybody (well maybe stewie) who has that ability.

PK was special.

Charlie
31st January 2003, 05:53 PM
I must admit, starting to warm to Micky O because I think he needs that extra responsibility added to improve his motivation and accountability.

This is exactly what he doesn't need. I think that a major factor in his poor form last year was the added burden of being a vice-Captain. He needs to concentrate solely on his game. He's not a leader.

Ajn
31st January 2003, 06:53 PM
It's all speculation anyway....the team will have 10 top candidates filling leadership roles, no matter who is appointed the role. Bring on 2003.

CureTheSane
31st January 2003, 09:56 PM
My thoughts are that Maxfield will hold it down for 2 years, and by then Crouch will step into the role.
Just because Kelly was so young when he got the job, it doesn't mean that that is a formula that must be followed.

vagary
1st February 2003, 09:08 AM
or they could follow in the footsteps of another club and change the captaincy every year.

robbieando
1st February 2003, 09:29 AM
While I don't think we should follow St Kilda's path in naming a new captain each year, I think its a good thing St Kilda are doing because they have a very young squad and leadership is not in great supply. So to solve this they are trying over a few years to build a leadership group along the lines of Hamill, Black, Hayes, St Nic, and Kossie.

For us I don't think we are that bad off for leaders

Charlie
1st February 2003, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by vagary
or they could follow in the footsteps of another club and change the captaincy every year.

Surely we aren't in that much trouble??? I can't stand the thought of merry-go-round Captains. It's just not how it's supposed to work.

motorace_182
1st February 2003, 11:30 AM
Maxfield has been around longer than Willow at the Swans, and as great as both of these players are, dont forget who will be wearing a fluro shirt next year motivating his former team mates. The captaincy role would be more media based, as little of it as there is in Sydney, because there are about 5 blokes who can lead the swans into the next few years as a group.

TheHood
1st February 2003, 02:23 PM
This is exactly what he doesn't need. I think that a major factor in his poor form last year was the added burden of being a vice-Captain. He needs to concentrate solely on his game. He's not a leader.

Point taken Charlie, Mich's 2002 was one to forget, however if Mick's game was affected by his duel (Nicksy and Maxy) vice-captaincy with 2 other blokes, then he is in more form trouble than first thought. I don't think the guy is that prescious that his bad form was because that particular role.

Does anyone remember the coaching rotation that the Swans used for the Wizard last year (Roosy starred as coach against the Pies)? Would it be a bad idea to select say 4 candidates for those games (one game each) with a view to making a selection before H&A season starts proper?

I think we would soon find out who lifts the team as well as their own game and who doesn't. Might make the final decision a whole lot easier.

liz
1st February 2003, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by TheHood

Does anyone remember the coaching rotation that the Swans used for the Wizard last year (Roosy starred as coach against the Pies)? Would it be a bad idea to select say 4 candidates for those games (one game each) with a view to making a selection before H&A season starts proper?

I think we would soon find out who lifts the team as well as their own game and who doesn't. Might make the final decision a whole lot easier.

Interesting suggestion Hood, but do we actually want a player to behave differently on the ground depending on whether or not he is officially named captain for that game. I'd have thought the leadership group should all be behaving as leaders out on the ground (and hopefully some of the rest as well). It is maybe off the ground that the official captain will have additional responsibilities.

TheHood
3rd February 2003, 01:07 PM
do we actually want a player to behave differently on the ground depending on whether or not he is officially named captain for that game

Actually Lizz, I do want a player to step up on the field because the very fact we are having this debate means there is no obvious candidate.

My point about the coaching rotation was two fold:

1. the coach for that weekend also had the team for the prep throughout the week (same should be for the captain) and it was no surprise that Paul Roos became the obvious successor when Eade quit and;

2. it showed who could lift not just their own personal game but can they lift the game of their team.

BTW, I think that Geelong making King skipper over Graham was a good move. Ben's a big kick and nice bloke but King stepped up dramatically in 2002, B&F from memory.

Jimmy C
3rd February 2003, 02:46 PM
I think Roos' comments a few weeks back summed it up when he indicated that the captaincy was only ONE leadership position, the team needs 22 leaders whenever it takes the field.

I'm now beyond giving a toss as to who gets the nod.

CARNA BLOODS!

Ajn
3rd February 2003, 10:31 PM
Can't believe Saddo is in the mix!