PDA

View Full Version : Telstra Stadium surface problems

Glenn
24th April 2006, 08:40 PM
Questions have been raised about how safe the playing surface of Telstra Stadium is, going by reports from Ch 7 tonight.
Hopefully not a season ending injury to anyone next weekend

Big Al
24th April 2006, 09:18 PM
From reports in the paper Manly were told not to warm up at one end of the ground because it was too dangerous.(the end where the rock pensioners played the week before). Better get it right for Saturday night.

Glenn
24th April 2006, 09:24 PM
From what was shown on the news, the surface looked very patchy and uneven

cruiser
25th April 2006, 09:16 AM
http://dailytelegraph.news.com.au/story/0,20281,18921042-5001023,00.html

stellation
25th April 2006, 09:44 AM
Terrible. It is bad enough for us, but imagine the state it will be in on Sunday for the league players after we have chopped it up.

Mike_B
25th April 2006, 09:54 AM
I couldn't give a rats how it looks, but I just hope nobody sustains a bad injury because of it and also that it doesn't ruin the game as a spectacle because players can't keep their feet.

Glenn
25th April 2006, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by stellation
Terrible. It is bad enough for us, but imagine the state it will be in on Sunday for the league players after we have chopped it up.

I guess if it's any positive at least Sydney are playing on the Saturday and not the Sunday

stellation
25th April 2006, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by Glenn
I guess if it's any positive at least Sydney are playing on the Saturday and not the Sunday
That's right, I'd hate it if we were getting second use after it is already in poor condition to begin with.

goswannie14
25th April 2006, 02:40 PM
Why, when you have 6 months when the stadium is not used, would you allow a rock concert at the ground, after the seasons of the two codes that use the ground have already started?:confused:

UNBELIEVABLE STUPIDITY!

Wardy
25th April 2006, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by goswannie14
Why, when you have 6 months when the stadium is not used, would you allow a rock concert at the ground, after the seasons of the two codes that use the ground have already started?:confused:

UNBELIEVABLE STUPIDITY!

Telstra Stadium needs the money that is why they had the old farts concert there - despite the fact that in some areas the sound quality was total rubbish - they should have used the Superdome next door.

Sure as eggs a key player wil sustain an injury of some kind - you dont wish it on anyone (well maybe a player from the Bombers - oh yeah - he's already out for the season) Surely the ground staff at the stadium should be held accountable.

goswannie14
25th April 2006, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by Wardy
Telstra Stadium needs the money that is why they had the old farts concert there - despite the fact that in some areas the sound quality was total rubbish - they should have used the Superdome next door.

Sure as eggs a key player wil sustain an injury of some kind - you dont wish it on anyone (well maybe a player from the Bombers - oh yeah - he's already out for the season) Surely the ground staff at the stadium should be held accountable. No, not the ground staff...the management!;)

cruiser
25th April 2006, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by goswannie14
Why, when you have 6 months when the stadium is not used, would you allow a rock concert at the ground $$$,$$$

Missy
26th April 2006, 08:27 PM
Read in the NEwcastle Herald this morning that it would be re-turfed before the game on Sat night with ready-to-play turf.

goswannie14
26th April 2006, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by Missy
Read in the NEwcastle Herald this morning that it would be re-turfed before the game on Sat night with ready-to-play turf. But Geelong is talking about the game being moved back to the SCG. Stuff 'em, they (Geelong) would have to pay Telstra Stadium big bucks in compensation I would imagine.

JF_Bay22_SCG
26th April 2006, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by Mike_B
I couldn't give a rats how it looks, but I just hope nobody sustains a bad injury because of it and also that it doesn't ruin the game as a spectacle because players can't keep their feet.

It is weird that this sort of thing has hit the media at long last. In 1994 when we played Melbourne & I was out with the banner I couldn't believe how clumpy and uneven it all was.

Umm, helllooo Telstra Stadium, you get greedy and have 4 teams (plus the odd destructive concert etc etc) playing at the ground, then the surface can't cope with it all.

You brought the tenants in, YOU guys fix the problem!!! Turf can these days be re-laid for play at short notice. Don't be cheap, DO IT! Because if an AFL player turns his ankle & decides he wants to sue, it could get pretty nasty for you!:eek:

JF

goswannie14
26th April 2006, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by JF_Bay22_SCG
You brought the tenants in, YOU guys fix the problem!!! Turf can these days be re-laid for play at short notice. Don't be cheap, DO IT! Because if an AFL player turns his ankle & decides he wants to sue, it could get pretty nasty for you!:eek: It's already nearly done according to the NEWS tonight.

Glenn
26th April 2006, 10:45 PM
Apparently the Swans are going to be checking the turf on Friday and then the AFL, needs the approval from the AFL for the game to go ahead, otherwise it is back to the SCG (which presents a whole new can of worms in regards to ticketing etc)

ScottH
27th April 2006, 07:14 AM
Sauce (http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2006/04/26/1145861420563.html)
Ground staff yesterday worked all day, then last night, and will continue the job this morning to replace about 1000 square metres of diseased turf. It is expected to be done before 2pm today, only hours before the Swans train there.

While the ground will have a patchwork look, the traction and footing will be greatly improved.
Telstra Dome. Telstra Stadium. Telstra.

They all have crap products and services.

ROK Lobster
27th April 2006, 08:05 AM
Geelong have requested that the ground be watered Saturday afternoon.

Wardy
27th April 2006, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by ROK Lobster
Geelong have requested that the ground be watered Saturday afternoon.

yeah in the hope of stopping Nick Davis;)

ScottH
27th April 2006, 08:12 AM
yeah in the hope of stopping Nick Davis;) No Davis, No Johnson.

Wardy
27th April 2006, 08:15 AM
and a crap surface - the makings of an interesting nights footy - now all we need is for it to rain and a joyous time will be had by all.

goswannie14
27th April 2006, 09:15 AM
and a crap surface - the makings of an interesting nights footy - now all we need is for it to rain and a joyous time will be had by all. It will look like that show "Skating with Celebrities".;)

Glenn
27th April 2006, 09:33 AM
and a crap surface - the makings of an interesting nights footy - now all we need is for it to rain and a joyous time will be had by all.

Well looks like you will get your wish, from the weather forecast this morning showers developing on Saturday :eek:

woo
27th April 2006, 02:19 PM
I am praying for it to be relocated to the scg..its selfish but telstra is just too far to travel too and our seats are just not as good.

ROK Lobster
27th April 2006, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by woo
I am praying for it to be relocated to the scg..its selfish but telstra is just too far to travel too and our seats are just not as good. It'll be on tv in your longue room. Telstra is far easier to get to for a lot of people. Please do not be so selfish. If it is too much trouble, stay away.

woo
27th April 2006, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by ROK Lobster
It'll be on tv in your longue room. Telstra is far easier to get to for a lot of people. Please do not be so selfish. If it is too much trouble, stay away.

considering I am making the trip to brissy in 2 weeks its not the distance (although its an extra hour travel)..more the seating no where as good..I can scream as loud as I want out there- no one will hear me....

NMWBloods
27th April 2006, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by woo
I can scream as loud as I want out there- no one will hear me.... Like being in space...

ScottH
27th April 2006, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by NMWBloods
Like being in space... Like being in bloods mind.

NMWBloods
27th April 2006, 03:02 PM
It's an Alien mind...

Ruda Wakening
27th April 2006, 03:07 PM
A wildly exhilarating ride.

JF_Bay22_SCG
27th April 2006, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by woo
considering I am making the trip to brissy in 2 weeks its not the distance (although its an extra hour travel)..more the seating no where as good..I can scream as loud as I want out there- no one will hear me....

Well, come further down the front and help me out. We make a racket at Homebush normally, with everyone joining in to my or Benny's drum beats.

If you hear me start up the "!! !!! !!!! Syd-nee", get everyone around to all join in.

The myth going around that you need a crowd over 50000 to get a good atmosphere going at Homebush is just that, a myth. Against Essendon even with only 31000 in attendance we made a complete racket.

JF

The Undertaker
27th April 2006, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by Mike_B
I couldn't give a rats how it looks, but I just hope nobody sustains a bad injury because of it and also that it doesn't ruin the game as a spectacle because players can't keep their feet. Exactly.

goswannie14
27th April 2006, 07:17 PM
The MCG turf was only finished being laid a few days before the ANZAC day match and there apeared to be no problems there. The Telstra Dome turf is constantly being re laid and they seem to have gotten over the early problems they used to have there.