PDA

View Full Version : Under rated/Over rated.

humphrey bear
29th April 2006, 11:40 PM
I think Andrew Embley is by far the most under rated player in the competition. Can play, back, forward in the middle and never gets beaten. IMO is in the best dozen players in the competition.

Most over rated is Peter Bell runs round the back for soft handballs ala Wayne Shwass and his possessions dont hurt the opposition.

Interested what others think?

goswannie14
29th April 2006, 11:56 PM
I think Chris Judd is the most over rated. He is quick, but he isn't that good. They were raving about his 2 goals on 10 tonight, both of them he received a hand ball, ran in a straight line and kicked a goal. Like most players do every week. The media hype him up to be better than he is. He is good, but not that good.

NMWBloods
29th April 2006, 11:58 PM
38 possessions and 4 goals not that good?!?!

You must be kidding!

He is one of the best in the competition at getting the ball in traffic and breaking clear, and just sprinting away from opposition.

Embley is excellent - I wish we had him.

Peter Bell is a very good player. Has only gone into the soft possession off half back this year.

573v30
30th April 2006, 12:19 AM
Yes, not often do you see many players get 38 possessions and 4 goals and not play a merry-go-round ugly style of short kicks and wasting time. Judd was excellent on-field, he's a player I wouldn't mind donning a Swans jersey. As far as him being overrated, let's just say that if he wasn't playing tonight against the Lions the margin would be a whole lot less...

ugg
30th April 2006, 12:33 AM
Overrated (vastly) - Jonathan Brown (touch wood, hope he doesn't destroy us next week!)

Underrated - besides CBolton, perhaps Eagleton who has improved markedly in the last 2 years.

Sanecow
30th April 2006, 01:03 AM
Originally posted by NMWBloods
38 possessions and 4 goals not that good?!?!

Pfft. Jules could get 38 possessions roving to Cox.

goswannie14
30th April 2006, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by Sanecow
Pfft. Jules could get 38 possessions roving to Cox. So could I.;)

Lucky Knickers
30th April 2006, 09:06 AM
Embley, Hunter and Braun are definitely overshadowed by Cuz and Judd at the Coast.

Whilst I think Judd is the worst Norm Smith winner EVER, I don't agree GS14, ability to break the lines, get clear of a pack is incredible.

goswannie14
30th April 2006, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by Lucky Knickers
Whilst I think Judd is the worst Norm Smith winner EVER, I don't agree GS14, ability to break the lines, get clear of a pack is incredible. I guess the Norm Smith debacle made me watch him a bit more closely and I am sick of the commentators having an orgasm every time he gets the ball.

swans05
30th April 2006, 06:12 PM
Team Underated Over Rated
Adelaide Tyson Edwards ?
Brisbane Justin Sherman Jared Brennan
Carlton Kade Simpson Anthony Koutoufides
Collingwood Dane Swan Paul Licuria
Essendon Brent Stanton Dean Solomon
Fremantle Byron Schammer Des Headland
Geelong Corey Enright Kent Kingsley
Hawthorn Sam Mitchell Trent Croad
Kangaroos Troy Makepeace Nathan Thompson
Port Adel dont rate anyone most
Richmond Chris Newman Troy Simmonds
St Kilda no one half the team
West Coast Andrew Embley Ben Cousins
W Bulldogs Daniel Cross ?

goswannie14
30th April 2006, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by swans05
Adelaide Tyson Edwards ?
W Bulldogs Daniel Cross ? You forgot the Sydney Swans 2005 senior team being under rated.:D

stellation
30th April 2006, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by goswannie14
You forgot the Sydney Swans 2005 senior team being under rated.:D
As well as the 2006 list being over rated (by themselves).

garethb83
1st May 2006, 09:15 PM
Most overrated forward in the game, Chris Tarrant... without a doubt.

goswannie14
1st May 2006, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by garethb83
Most overrated forward in the game, Chris Tarrant... without a doubt. What about Anthony Rocca?

ROK Lobster
1st May 2006, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by swans05
Adelaide Tyson Edwards ?
W Bulldogs Daniel Cross ?
I'd take any of your over rateds.

TheHood
2nd May 2006, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by ROK Lobster

So you rate them? :p

dread and might
2nd May 2006, 01:52 PM
Underrated: Michael Johnson
Overrated : Matt Maguire

ROK Lobster
2nd May 2006, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by TheHood
So you rate them? :p Yep, but not overly.

Lucky Knickers
2nd May 2006, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by dread and might
Underrated: Michael Johnson
Overrated : Matt Maguire

Good call.

Underrated: Simon Goodwin
Overrated: Brendan Fevola

Ruda Wakening
2nd May 2006, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by ROK Lobster

You out of Yakult?

C-Train
2nd May 2006, 06:42 PM
At the risk of being stoned to death by 90% of the RWO

Underrated... BEN MATTHEWS!!!!!!!!!

Gary
2nd May 2006, 06:47 PM
Kingsley overrated? Only by Geelong IMO. Why else would they keep picking a FF who can't kick straight & shows little heart?
I still don't think other teams have realised how valuable Buchanan is to us...long may it continue.

SimonH
3rd May 2006, 01:45 AM
Originally posted by garethb83
Most overrated forward in the game, Chris Tarrant... without a doubt. Like the man said, I'll see your Tarrant and raise you a Fevola.

Gee, if you were to try to compile a team of 'most overrated players in the AFL', it would have about 6 full forwards.

C-Train
3rd May 2006, 02:15 PM
I honestly thought Nathan Brown was overrated last year!

Nolie
3rd May 2006, 04:58 PM
I guess the Norm Smith debacle made me watch him a bit more closely and I am sick of the commentators having an orgasm every time he gets the ball.

Here! Here!
If you listen to the 3AW call of the GF (and probably Ten's commentary too) they had already given Judd the Norm Smith in the first quarter - just because he looks flashy. Orgasm - god use of the word!
Most of his possessions in the game ended up as ineffective. In fact I did my own stats of the last half and Fosdike and Kirk touched the ball as many times as Judd.

The Big Cat
3rd May 2006, 05:25 PM
Overrated - Sheedy! Sheedy! Sheedy!

30 years of coaching the best financed team (including several major salary cap breaches) and 4 flags. Snowy on the tram could have done that.

Overrated - Robert Walls. Went to carlton when the Drover's Dog could have won them a flag! Then failed miserably everywhere else.

Many of these former premiership coaches coached in a time when only 3 or 4 teams could possibly win the flag! Remember, you old south supporters? The days when we would win one or two games and our big highlight was to play Fitzroy or North and have a chance of snagging a win? Beating the good teams was an absolute impossibility because of personale, money etc etc.

Agent 86
4th May 2006, 01:45 PM
I think Chris Judd is the most over rated.
He's gotta be amongst the top 2 or 3 players going around.

humphrey bear
5th May 2006, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by The Big Cat
Overrated - Sheedy! Sheedy! Sheedy!

30 years of coaching the best financed team (including several major salary cap breaches) and 4 flags. Snowy on the tram could have done that.

Snowy from the tram should get a job as an AFL coach.

Sheedy has been coaching since 1980 and he has won only 4 premierships. In that time only won club has won more premierships and that is Hawthorn. They won in 83, 86, 88, 89 & 91 which was effectively the same group of players. (allbeit the greatest group of players any club has assembled at one time since the beginning of the VFL)

Sheedy won in 84, 85 , 93 and 2000 which is 3 different groups of players.

If it is so easy you simpleton why has no other club been able to win more flags in the last 26 years.only

The Big Cat
6th May 2006, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by humphrey bear

If it is so easy you simpleton why has no other club been able to win more flags in the last 26 years.only [/B]

He's been there 30 years! Besides the 80's premierships were with the same team.

NMWBloods
6th May 2006, 11:00 PM
This is his 26th year, and as HBB said, he's won with effectively 3 different groups of players and only one team has won more flags during that period.

ugg
7th May 2006, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by ugg
Overrated (vastly) - Jonathan Brown

Overrrrrrrrrrrrrated. LRT underrated, good defensive game. His disposal and generall awareness still need a lot of work.

ScottH
7th May 2006, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by ugg
Overrrrrrrrrrrrrated. LRT underrated, good defensive game. His disposal and generall awareness still need a lot of work. True, I thought LRT's game was ordinary, but his spoiling was pretty damn good.

ugg
7th May 2006, 05:25 PM
Yeah but I don't rate him so he's underrated. Has to get rid of the 'deer in the headlights' part of his game. If someone could teach him and Richards how to get rid of the ball quickly that would be nice.

ScottH
7th May 2006, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by ugg
Yeah but I don't rate him so he's underrated. Has to get rid of the 'deer in the headlights' part of his game. If someone could teach him and Richards how to get rid of the ball quickly that would be nice. and Jolly.

Agent 86
7th May 2006, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by ScottH
True, I thought LRT's game was ordinary, but his spoiling was pretty damn good.
Isn't that what he was supposed to be doing?

ScottH
7th May 2006, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by Agent 86
Isn't that what he was supposed to be doing? yes, but the point I was making was his disposal (esp by hand) and his decision making was poor today.

573v30
7th May 2006, 09:48 PM
yes, but the point I was making was his disposal (esp by hand) and his decision making was poor today. LRT was under quite a bit of pressure all throughout the match but then again he was tagging Brown and I say he did a pretty darn good job on him.

Agent 86
7th May 2006, 10:04 PM
yes, but the point I was making was his disposal (esp by hand) and his decision making was poor today.
I'll give you that (to some extent). But his main task today was to keep a dangerous opponent out of the game & he did well.

graystar
8th May 2006, 02:27 AM
I guess the Norm Smith debacle made me watch him a bit more closely and I am sick of the commentators having an orgasm every time he gets the ball.

It is interesting how the media always have their favourite sons. James Hird for one.

ScottH
8th May 2006, 07:23 AM
Originally posted by Agent 86
I'll give you that (to some extent). But his main task today was to keep a dangerous opponent out of the game & he did well. and he did that!!

Though there was suspicion of how fit Brown is ATM.

NMWBloods
11th May 2006, 02:28 PM
I guess the Norm Smith debacle made me watch him a bit more closely and I am sick of the commentators having an orgasm every time he gets the ball. Have a read of Jim Main's review of Judd's game in the GF.

NMWBloods
14th May 2006, 12:10 AM
Wow, that Judd's an overrated hack...

Rd 1 - 24 possessions, 6 clearances, 4 tackles

Rd 2 - 23 possessions, 7 clearances, 9 tackles

Rd 3 - 19 possessions, 4 clearances, 6 tackles, 1 goal

Rd 4 - 21 possessions, 6 clearances, 5 tackles, 1 goal

Rd 5 - 39 possessions, 11 clearances, 11 tackles, 4 goals

Rd 6 - 33 possessions, 11 clearances, 6 tackles, 1 goal

Rd 7 - 32 possessions, 6 tackles, 3 goals

:p

ROK Lobster
14th May 2006, 08:59 AM
Wow, that Judd's an overrated hack...

Rd 1 - 24 possessions, 6 clearances, 4 tackles

Rd 2 - 23 possessions, 7 clearances, 9 tackles

Rd 3 - 19 possessions, 4 clearances, 6 tackles, 1 goal

Rd 4 - 21 possessions, 6 clearances, 5 tackles, 1 goal

Rd 5 - 39 possessions, 11 clearances, 11 tackles, 4 goals

Rd 6 - 33 possessions, 11 clearances, 6 tackles, 1 goal

Rd 7 - 32 possessions, 6 tackles, 3 goals

:p
But he does not spoil in a contest (or outside a contest) like our LRT.

ScottH
14th May 2006, 08:45 PM
Overrated = Riewoldt!!

goswannie14
14th May 2006, 08:51 PM
Over rated...Richmond.;)

goswannie14
14th May 2006, 08:53 PM
Wow, that Judd's an overrated hack... You mustn't like him too much. At least I didn't call him a hack.;)

humphrey bear
3rd October 2006, 08:56 PM
I think Andrew Embley is by far the most under rated player in the competition. Can play, back, forward in the middle and never gets beaten. IMO is in the best dozen players in the competition.

And to think despite me giving you all this tip months ago he still payed $20 to win the Norm Smith.

Hope you all got on.

NMWBloods
3rd October 2006, 09:16 PM
And yet again also we see how good Judd is!

BeeEmmAre
3rd October 2006, 10:50 PM
And yet again we see Humphrey pumping his own tyres.

No need to show off at the funeral.

humphrey bear
4th October 2006, 08:23 AM
Its no funeral when you back a 20/1 winner.

Agent 86
4th October 2006, 10:41 AM
Its no funeral when you back a 20/1 winner. Like the real Humphrey you should learn to STFU. ;)