PDA

View Full Version : McCartney retires

anniswan
6th June 2003, 11:41 PM
according to the radio, too hard on his body now.

AS

desredandwhite
6th June 2003, 11:58 PM
Just read that on the AFL site too.

If one were to be cynical, it was a beautiful publicity stunt - get people along to the game and let him go out properly. Good on him though - deserved the chance to pull the boots on one more time.

Mike_B
7th June 2003, 12:06 AM
Good on him - he showed that he could make it back, and that it wouldn't get the better of him.

A true champion.

Cheer Cheer
7th June 2003, 12:07 AM
Yes but he geniunely deserved his spot too with very good performances in the vfl for the last few weeks. And he did do some nice things tonight kicking a goal and setting up another.
As much as tonight was about him I think he also wanted to show people of all ages if that you set your mind to things no matter how bad the situation you can achieve anything - certainly thats the message im taking from tonight.

anniswan
7th June 2003, 12:38 AM
I have just finished watching the game and although I have an inherent hatred of the Kangas, I was soo happy that they did win.

Bali is close to me having been there 17 times, I probably stood in the same spot at the Sari Bar that Jason was, just a quirk of fate that I wan't there as it is the time of the year that I normally go.

In the scheme of things I think that he has realised that there are more important things than footy.

I wish him well

AS

robbieando
7th June 2003, 12:47 AM
Good on him. He JUST had to come back. Word was he was going to retire when he got back from Bali before the bombings, but once they happened he made his mind up to make it back for 1 match to prove to everyone that he could do it.

Never doubt his motives because he proved what a hero he was tonight

Jon
7th June 2003, 01:21 AM
i think we'll probably hear over the coming weeks that the only reason Jason played tonight was for those 202 people over his heart.

He would've known a while ago his comeback wasn't going to happen....but he probably felt that it wouldn't be right to get people's hopes up and then quit before he'd played at least one more game. The whole event had suddenly become about more than just his footy carrer.

He was out there for them.

Tell your kids folks. A modern classic.

penga
7th June 2003, 01:26 AM
its put the heart back in AFL, even for a minute...

he is the man!

Charlie
7th June 2003, 08:58 AM
I do wish he'd tried to stay until the end of the season... but ah well. It does have sports-movie style fairytale stuff about it.

Congratulations Jason, and good luck. Don't dissappear too quickly.

swan_song
8th June 2003, 09:46 PM
I watched this match on Fox...what a ripper. Sad to hear Jason retiring and I would like to wish him all the very best for the future, and hope that his wounds, both physical and psychological can heal soon. I think his courage for having a crack at it again and being successful at it to boot speaks volumes for the man. Well done Jason, a fine career with the Pies, Crows and Kangas...

penga
9th June 2003, 12:12 AM
off the topic of mccartney and more on the game, daren gaspar's injury was pretty bad! when they showed the replay you can see the hamstring bunch up to the top of his leg... i thought he snapped his hamstring, but the report is it was a knee... can anyone tell me if that particular injury would cause the hamstring to do that, or was it the force of his tendon snapping in his knee to cause that wild movement in his leg and hamstring???