PDA

View Full Version : Perspective

dread and might
14th May 2006, 12:50 AM
As much as I enjoyed that spanking win........

Richmond=rabble.

really great win though....

573v30
14th May 2006, 12:56 AM
Totally agree. Richmond sucked and I don't see improving for the rest of the year. The glory days are long gone for the Tigers...

liz
14th May 2006, 01:31 AM
They're not a total rabble but they do have lots of kids and were undermanned today. I think the response on the board to today's win has been reasonably muted given how impressive it was, and that is because most of us realise that the opposition was, well, no opposition.

graystar
14th May 2006, 08:13 AM
Agree. These are the games which help shake the cobwebs out ahead of a tough few weeks.

ROK Lobster
14th May 2006, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by liz
They're not a total rabble but they do have lots of kids and were undermanned today. I think the response on the board to today's win has been reasonably muted given how impressive it was, and that is because most of us realise that the opposition was, well, no opposition. A couple of things impressed me, beyond the bleeding obvious. The first was that they buried them. This is the sort of game that previously we were likely to win by 5-8 goals, easing back to third gear in the 2 qtr and running out the 2nd half at the same level as the opposition. The 2nd thing - which of course is the same thing - is that everyone seemed to enjoy burying the Tiges - the tackling in particular was excellent right up until the final acknowledgement of the siren from the umpire. This is the first time that the team has, as a whole, given a genuine expresion of their stated desire to go back to back - it was the first time in 2006 that they have shown a real hunger. I also think that it is no conincidence that this all happened the week that Kirk played his best game - I thought his first qtr was probably as good as any he has played.

Cher
14th May 2006, 09:44 AM
The percentage boost will be good for us, especially if we have some more of those close wins of less than a goal.
It impressed me that we kept up our standard of play and didn't drop back in the last quarter and let them get a few goals on us.

msb
14th May 2006, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by liz
They're not a total rabble but they do have lots of kids and were undermanned today. I think the response on the board to today's win has been reasonably muted given how impressive it was, and that is because most of us realise that the opposition was, well, no opposition.

Yes they were undermanned but that does not excuse a 118 point flogging!!!! They still had the likes of couglan, bowden, pettifer, crackour, stafford, simmonds and of course richo in the team all with heaps of experience and if they had of done their bit would not have lost by 118

dread and might
14th May 2006, 10:45 AM
The 4 quarter crushing certainly was great. I hate when we let teams make their defeats at our hands look respectable.

Go Swannies
14th May 2006, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by ROK Lobster
A couple of things impressed me, beyond the bleeding obvious. The first was that they buried them. This is the sort of game that previously we were likely to win by 5-8 goals, easing back to third gear in the 2 qtr and running out the 2nd half at the same level as the opposition. The 2nd thing - which of course is the same thing - is that everyone seemed to enjoy burying the Tiges - the tackling in particular was excellent right up until the final acknowledgement of the siren from the umpire. This is the first time that the team has, as a whole, given a genuine expresion of their stated desire to go back to back - it was the first time in 2006 that they have shown a real hunger. I also think that it is no conincidence that this all happened the week that Kirk played his best game - I thought his first qtr was probably as good as any he has played.

Agree with every word! (Should I be worried?) As you say, we have often let teams off but yesterday the intensity held throughout. And I thought the Tigers weren't too bad though completely outclassed. More or less like last week against the Lions. After watching the Lions, I thought that they weren't too bad so I tipped them against the Hawks, even away from home. (I don't think I'll be tipping the Tigers against the Crows though.)

A lot of that has to be credited to LRT. He made Brown look like a tired hack - though he was reborn this week. Richo didn't kill us as he has in the past when Leo played on him.

Yesterday's performance is a good reason to look forward to the mid season few weeks - to see how we match up with the others in the top 4 (though the Dogs may push us out today). I'm not blind enough to think we'll win them all but if we show yesterday's skills and confidence - and continue to lend support for each other when we mess up (brilliant Fossie, over and over again) - we'll win our share.

And roll on the percentage - it could be vital at the end of August.

Destructive
14th May 2006, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by dread and might

Richmond=rabble.

I have thought that for quite a while.

barry
14th May 2006, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by Go Swannies

Yesterday's performance is a good reason to look forward to the mid season few weeks - to see how we match up with the others in the top 4 (though the Dogs may push us out today). I'm not blind enough to think we'll win them all but if we show yesterday's skills and confidence - and continue to lend support for each other when we mess up (brilliant Fossie, over and over again) - we'll win our share.

After the last half of 2005, we have proven we can beat anyone, anywhere. Even finals (We should have won the WC final apart from umpiring, then we beat STk In Melbourne, and of course the GF). So whatever draw is placed in front of us shouldnt be any cause for worry. The results are up to us.

We were always going to make a slow start this year. Backing up from a long season, and with the current player management stategies, we wouldnt really be "ready" until a few rounds in.

But the Richmond win certainly puts us in a far better position (top 4 or 5) than I thought we'd be in, and in a small way convices me that the rule changes that we supposed to hurt our game plan, simply mean we stay in "attack" mode for longer.