PDA

View Full Version : Free Kick count.

goswannie14
14th May 2006, 09:55 PM
Does anyone realise that we actually won the free kick count yesterday against Richmond? How long is it since that happened?

j s
14th May 2006, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by goswannie14
Does anyone realise that we actually won the free kick count yesterday against Richmond? How long is it since that happened? When you have something like 75% of the possession time you are bound to get more frees.

CureTheSane
14th May 2006, 10:14 PM
I think it was 10 to 8 at half time, and to me it felt like it was 30 to 8.

Been so long since we've been given that % of frees that it seemed like a lot more.

But I would have to say that although I think we are harshly dealt with at times (and probably slightly more than most clubs) I think that the bigger picture to date has been that the Swans give them away more than any other team.

Doesn't make sense that so many different unpires all award heaps of frees against the Swans.
I think most supporter have persecution complexes in this area.
At the end of the day, it's up to roos and the coaching staff to train the Swans to either better disguise those '50/50' infringements, or to train them how to not give away so many frees.

Unless the high feee kick count against us is a result of the style of football that we play, and won us a flag last year, then I suppose it's a sacrifice worth making.

Thunder Shaker
14th May 2006, 10:16 PM
We do have a lopsided free kick count, but I put it down to our tough brand of footy.

goswannie14
14th May 2006, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by Thunder Shaker
We do have a lopsided free kick count, but I put it down to our tough brand of footy. I think, as has been mentioned here before, that we are often umpired by the style of play that the umpires think we will play rather than what we actually are playing.

Glenn
14th May 2006, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by goswannie14
Does anyone realise that we actually won the free kick count yesterday against Richmond? How long is it since that happened?

More proof yesterday was a crazy day :p
Personally blame it on the full moon

NMWBloods
14th May 2006, 11:17 PM
Low free kick against count = Leo Barry didn't go near the ball.

Scrap that - he still managed 2 against.

Jolly actually managed to be in the black!! :eek:

ScottH
15th May 2006, 07:42 AM
When you are first to the ball you tend to give away less free kicks.

Go Swannies
15th May 2006, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by ScottH
When you are first to the ball you tend to give away less free kicks.

Tell that to Baz.

ScottH
15th May 2006, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by Go Swannies
Tell that to Baz. When he is first to the ball he doesn't give away frees. It is when he is behind, he pushes in the back a lot.

giant
15th May 2006, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by NMWBloods
Low free kick against count = Leo Barry didn't go near the ball.

Scrap that - he still managed 2 against.

Two shockers too - from the very top shelf of the Leo Silly Free Collection. His form is one of the few continuing concerns for us.

I make this 3 weeks in a row where the umpiring has either favoured us or had no significant impact on the game (assuming in the Melbourne game that the umpiring was equally appalling for both teams). May be a Swans record!

Go Swannies
15th May 2006, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by ScottH
When he is first to the ball he doesn't give away frees. It is when he is behind, he pushes in the back a lot.

Baz often is in front because he's used a legitimate hip and shoulder and he's often penalised for that. If he takes a grab he's starting his protest as soon as he hears the whistle - even before he finds if the mark has been paid or not. (A bit like Leo who will offend even while having his arms raised to appeal his innocence.)

floppinab
15th May 2006, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by Go Swannies
Baz often is in front because he's used a legitimate hip and shoulder and he's often penalised for that. If he takes a grab he's starting his protest as soon as he hears the whistle - even before he finds if the mark has been paid or not. (A bit like Leo who will offend even while having his arms raised to appeal his innocence.)

And of course he still didn't get one yesterday, there were at least 2 shoulder arms on him that could've been paid.

As for Leo, I've noticed the umps have been much hotter on him and Bolton with their tactic, particularly on taller forwards of bodying their opponent underneath the ball in a running marking contest, even if they haven't used their hands/arms to body their opponent under the ball. Thinking back last year and to the GF for example, Leo would've done that to Gardiner 2 or 3 times for no free, this year he's been pinged for it quite a few times. All the more reason to try Vogels, particularly when we come up against teams with more than 1 key tall forward.

anne
15th May 2006, 03:01 PM
Hooray - the Swans actually received more free kicks than they gave away. How long has it been since this has happened? I don't know if this is a result of how they played (first to the ball, Leo not taking the tall players etc) or whether the mindset of the umpires is gradually changing. Let's hope it continues.

S.U.D
15th May 2006, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by anne
Hooray - the Swans actually received more free kicks than they gave away. How long has it been since this has happened? I don't know if this is a result of how they played (first to the ball, Leo not taking the tall players etc) or whether the mindset of the umpires is gradually changing. Let's hope it continues.

This statistic needs to be normalised to give a true indication.

We received 18 free kicks for 322 possessions. Which is a free kick every 17.888889 possessions.

Richmond received 14 free kicks for 245 possessions. Which is a free kick every 17.5 possessions.

Therefore, on average, we still received less number of free kicks than Richmond (more possessions between free kicks).

Therefore, the umps still hate us, lets never forget that.:p

ugg
15th May 2006, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by anne

First time this year and first time since R21 against the Kangas with a whopping 21-20 count. Since Demetriou made his infamous comments we've only had a positive count 5 out of 25 games.