PDA

View Full Version : Next weeks game.

bartwawa
8th June 2003, 11:49 PM
Watching the Dogs tonight makes you realise just how careful teams have to be every week. Do you think the game would have taken it out of the Dogs or will they come back with a vengeance next week?

midaro
9th June 2003, 12:33 AM
They were robbed at the death after being the front runners for the secon half - has to be a let down. Which is good for us :)
Mind you - a 1 point defeat probably would've been better ;)

Swansinger
9th June 2003, 12:37 AM
A tough one.

I do not put too much credence in the "Subiaco Curse".
Johnson , West and Smith seem to play well at the SCG.
And Footscray have a decent attack.
As Malthouse stated , they are the "best-ever bottom side".

IMO it will be a very tight first half with plenty of stoppages and hard tackling , but the Swans will get going in the 3rd quarter -
Hall , Davis and Goodes should kick us to a win.

On paper , the 4 points are ours - but I ain't ever seen a game played on paper.
A potential "danger game".

motorace_182
9th June 2003, 12:41 AM
Mind you - a 1 point defeat probably would've been better

the draw will be better i rekn. It will leave a mixed feeling. They didnt lose at subi, but thru away the best chance they will ever get. If they had won they will probably be on a high and harder opponents

anniswan
9th June 2003, 12:45 AM
they had a hard and challenging game, they will be tired.

but when you look at their efforts over the last few weeks they are a danger side, we son't need to be complacient.

AS

nicko18
9th June 2003, 02:29 AM
Originally posted by bartwawa
Watching the Dogs tonight makes you realise just how careful teams have to be every week. Do you think the game would have taken it out of the Dogs or will they come back with a vengeance next week?
hopefully they peaked for that game and came away shattered. there is every chance though that they realise they can knock off the top sides, and away from victoria.

liz
9th June 2003, 10:01 AM
One good thing about it is that it should ensure our guys don't go into the game with any sense of complacency - something that the 2000-2001 model would probably have done.

One of the many comments that Roos has made to the media (this one was before the Brissie game, I think) was that the team can't control how well the opposition plays. All they can do is play their game, and if they're good enough they'll be in with a chance. If the Swans can mix their run with the physical aggression they showed against Essendon I reckon they'll go OK!

NMWBloods
9th June 2003, 11:44 AM
Good comments Lizz - exactly my thoughts.

Angelic Upstart
9th June 2003, 01:35 PM
Bulldogs have been very unlucky in several games this year. Plus they have some real danger players like Brown, Johnson, Rohan Smith, Darcy, Scott West.
But I do believe in the Subiaco Curse (it's worked 10 games out of 10), plus I think the game will have taken a lot out of them. We saw that with Essendon who came to Sydney after a memorable against the odds win over West Coast, but couldn't continue the form.

Xie Shan
9th June 2003, 10:09 PM
after today's Coll-melb game on the radio, the commentators were going through next week's games and noted that the Bulldogs hadn't lost at the SCG in 4 years. Is this true? I'm not sure, but I'm sure its been a few years since we've beaten them.

If so, we're certainties to win given that...

hadn't beaten Brisbane since 1998.....WIN
hadn't beaten Geelong since 1999....WIN
Hadn't beaten Essendon since 1997....WIN :D :D

Hope so!

As for the subi curse, I don't know exactly what it is, but it is a big ground + WA teams have gone up a level over there in the last couple of years making them nearly impossible to beat + the travel factor = pretty difficult to win the next week IMO.

Roscoe
9th June 2003, 10:39 PM
This is a must win game -aren't they all ?

A bit like the Geelong game. We played the Cats after our great victory over Brissie and also after the Cats had come back fom Perth.

I think that the Dogs have sucked us in over the years to try and match their aggressive tactics. We can't fall for the trap.

SNDON tried to outmuscle us on Sat Nite but we held our mettle and regrouped after half-time.

I really liked Roos coments how that when we are down e.g.
3rd Quarter against Lions, a period against the cats, a few lapses against Richmond and the 2nd Quarter against the Bombers, the players have learnt that OK things aren't going our way - WE have to kill the ball, play the boundary, keep it tight until the momentum turns our way.

Believe it or not I was very impressed with our 3rd quarter against brisbane when we they had the upper hand but we didn't drop our heads and really toughed it out. Brisbane threw everything at us, we soaked up the punishment and had enough petrol left in the tank to come home strongly.

Lets give credit to Roos and the players for this

if we beat the Scraggers we will be 8 and 4 and I almost would be prepared to drop the away game against Port in round 13

"I SAID ALMOST"

red_avengers
10th June 2003, 11:14 PM
its difficult to beat Port at home but
Sydney might be the one to do it. Look forward to a terrific game, one that is a litmus test to see how we will perform in the finals.

nicko18
10th June 2003, 11:27 PM
i'm finishing work at 5pm and driving straight to the SCG. is there ever any pre-game stuff thats worth watching? do reserves play?

j s
11th June 2003, 01:23 AM
Originally posted by nicko18
i'm finishing work at 5pm and driving straight to the SCG. is there ever any pre-game stuff thats worth watching? do reserves play?
Yes!!

4:00 PM Sat 14/Jun SYDNEY SWANS vs EASTLAKE DEMONS SCG

RogueSwan
11th June 2003, 10:17 AM
My 2 cents (and thats all its worth):

The Doggies seem to play great up until 3/4 time then die in the arse. The Swans seem to be able to kick on after 3/4 time and will win.:)

Charlie
11th June 2003, 10:47 AM
I think we'll win - don't have a clue by how much though.

The HUGE test..... probably the defining two weeks of our season, will be Port at Port followed by West Coast at home.

Jon
11th June 2003, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by Roscoe

I really liked Roos coments how that when we are down e.g.
3rd Quarter against Lions, a period against the cats, a few lapses against Richmond and the 2nd Quarter against the Bombers, the players have learnt that OK things aren't going our way - WE have to kill the ball, play the boundary, keep it tight until the momentum turns our way.

Our defence is a corner stone...we have to thank Eade for this.

Rocket was a MASTER at sucking time from the clock, clogging the half-back area and reducing the impetus of opposition teams with boudary line football. We have to thank Rocket for making the Swans as hard at the ball as they are right now.

This year, however, our attack is far more potent. We roll the dice more, play the boundary FAR less and rebound hard. This is the major difference bewtteen Syd under Roos and Syd under Eade.

Rocket pulled back the arm and clenched the fist, but Roos and his team have been the ones to throw most of the punches.

TheHood
11th June 2003, 07:39 PM
The Dogs will either come out fighting early and run out of steam after half-time OR they will capitulate early and never be able to regain so much lost ground before full-time.

Roosy has been pretty savy on game day with match-ups but most impressively he has known when to rest players, take a bit of heat so that there is plenty of run when we need it most, be it half way through the 3rd or the beginning of the last.

I do think we will beat the Dogs, they are bone tired, I feel sorry for them because their story this year was our story last year...several close losses sapping the spirit from the team. Come Saturday night I am hoping the loss won't be close, I am really hungry for a percentage booster to stave off the Crows and challenge the Eagles.

Liz was accurate when she said that complacency won't be an issue. At the half-way mark of the season and 3rd position on the table to 11th position is only decided by 2 wins! Who can afford to be complacent? The Lions? Swans are in fact only a win and a half away from the Lions on paper!

Jimmy C
12th June 2003, 01:19 AM
I'm tipping us. The Bulldogs are this year's basket case.