PDA

View Full Version : HAWKS One More Down

Ryan Bomford
22nd May 2006, 08:02 PM
Richie Pays for King Hit (http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=267767)

Jeffers1984
22nd May 2006, 08:08 PM
is that Sambora on Charlie Sheen?

BigBadBarryNo1
22nd May 2006, 08:11 PM
Big "Wow!".

I watched that game against the Hawks, and he was there only player in the Hawks having a real impact on the Demons.

Even if Chambers went on him this coming week, I wouldn't be surprised if Chambers had the one-up the way Everitt played :p Everitt was playing below his best that day, but not sure whether he was a bit tired, because when he won the hitouts, they were won but hit out to nowhere (his fault??). As a result, their clearances were a shocker.

Should be careful though, as Hawks could always pull a bunny out of the hat ala-Tigers v Crows..

ScottH
22nd May 2006, 08:21 PM
Roughead has lost his licence for 12 months for speeding (40Km over the limit), but I think he'll be right to play. He just needs a lift on Saturday night.

Ryan Bomford
22nd May 2006, 08:28 PM
I'd say it's an ideal time to take advantage of the opportunity, give Willo a rest and bring in one of the young midfielders like Schmidt or Willoughby.

cruiser
22nd May 2006, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by Ryan Bomford
I'd say it's an ideal time to take advantage of the opportunity, give Willo a rest and bring in one of the young midfielders like Schmidt or Willoughby. Be very careful about playing around unnecessarily with a winning team.

I sense another % boosting win this weekend for Sydney. The Swans are on a roll which I have very good feeling about.

BigBadBarryNo1
22nd May 2006, 09:56 PM
Hold your horses boys, once we get on a run, we sometimes have some "unexpected" losses, and we don't want this to be a loss, because it prevents us a smack higher up in the 4, either that or to keep us there.

Umm.. maybe give one of our semi-injured boys a rest? Hard to pick from but I guess if Willo wants to play next year the "current thing" of doing that sounds like a good idea. Good to ice him for the big games coming after that (Saints/Pies/Crows/Eagles)..

Our 2's have really been given a good rap this year, and I'll be crying if we lose a Mal-type player at the end of the year.

Fast running side the Hawks, so a young boy like Schmidt would be a good idea. Hope the tackling stands up though..

NMWBloods
22nd May 2006, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by cruiser
I sense another % boosting win this weekend for Sydney. I hate this sort of talk.

RogueSwan
22nd May 2006, 10:11 PM
I prefer

I sense another % boosting win last weekend for Sydney. :)

Slick Swans
22nd May 2006, 10:15 PM
I am very very cautious of this game against the hawks, we are travelling along greatly, playing good footy, and they have hit a bit of a bad patch, but i think these are the games in the past that teams take for granted (ala adelaide v richmond) and think all they need to do is show up to win.
Beware the Hawks!

Jeffers1984
22nd May 2006, 10:35 PM
No way should we take this game lightly. Who remembers 2003 after our big win at the Gabba, we came to the SCG playing the Hawks who were in poor form. What happens, blitzed in the first half and we couldn't recover from that.

smartplay
23rd May 2006, 12:02 AM
Be very careful about playing around unnecessarily with a winning team.

I sense another % boosting win this weekend for Sydney. The Swans are on a roll which I have very good feeling about.

I disagree with the concept of not changing the line up at any time when a team is winning.

Changing the line up should be desirable due to:
a) the need to rest & freshen up players like Willo, MOL, (c bolton, ablett if they are not 100%)
b) the present players are capable of covering weaknessess
c) the need to expose emergency/reserve players to top level for it to pay dividend later eg when a regular player gets injured etc.
d) it is a reasonable calculated risk with some change to face a weakened Hawk team

I agree with a guy saying this is the best round to give those named emergency in the past games exposure. This is more important than grabbing some higher % precentage points, though I think we would still gain % with the line up change.

The exposure will give us depth.

SimonH
23rd May 2006, 02:28 AM
I sense another % boosting win this weekend for Sydney. The Swans are on a roll which I have very good feeling about. Pointing out that Bigfooty was crawling with users all of last week keen to emphasise the recordbreaking percentage-boosting win Adelaide was about to have over Richmond, is not negative. It's the truth.

We can debate forever whether anything posted on RWO ever has any impact on the playing group. But from long experience watching footy, I know that a team is far more likely to screw up against an unfancied opponent if it saunters in expecting to have an easy victory. And it's more likely to expect an easy victory, if the players are constantly told by the various media that they're bound to have an easy victory.

Ruck'n'Roll
23rd May 2006, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by ScottH
Roughead has lost his licence for 12 months for speeding (40Km over the limit), but I think he'll be right to play. He just needs a lift on Saturday night.

According to infuryupdate, Croad is also unavailable (although they also list Crawford as out and he played last weekend).

Will everyone's favourite victim Zac Dawson stand Barry? Or will their Roughhead play our roughhead?
Will Williams' speed be too much for Leo? Could Crouch handle him?

There's an expectation that Lance Franklin will return, he's been playing on the wing in the VFL. Would he line up on Goodes?

RogueSwan
23rd May 2006, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by Ruck'n'Roll
Will Williams' speed be too much for Leo? Could Crouch handle him?

I would have said C.Bolton but if he is injured then maybe bring back Dempster?
He would definitely make Williams accountable.

BigBadBarryNo1
23rd May 2006, 11:36 AM
Willo had a better game last week than his stats reveal. He ran off his opponent more than a few times..

Give Schmidt a run, I heard he's got good legspeed, and from what I've seen on paper has been regularly up there close to BOG regularly in the 2's. We may need either good legs or a hard tackler ala Ablett to stop the Hawks flow coming up.

BigBadBarryNo1
23rd May 2006, 12:06 PM
If we do get into a controlling position on Saturday, I don't want to see a final quarter let-up like we did against the Dogs.

I still have recurring nightmares about when we were 30+ points ahead, and got massacred in the final quarter by the Roos a couple of years ago..

Either way, no let up from last week. And no mercy. We need the experience and to be mentally and physically prepared for the matches coming up. There is always room for improvement, and that is the what our boys expect demand from each other week in week out. :mad:

RogueSwan
23rd May 2006, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by BigBadBarryNo1
If we do get into a controlling position on Saturday, I don't want to see a final quarter let-up like we did against the Dogs.

It looked worse on the scoreboard than it was. IIRC he kicked 3 behinds for the final quarter,all makeable. This would have lead to a 44 point thrashing. :p

giant
23rd May 2006, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by Ruck'n'Roll
Will everyone's favourite victim Zac Dawson stand Barry? Or will their Roughhead play our roughhead?

At one stage last week they had Dawson on Neitz - it seriously looked like a father-son game. But even Clarkson's sense of humour is not that perverse & they moved Smith on to him. I think he is also the most likely choice for Hall unless Clarkson has his heart absolutely set on a top 3 draft pick this year.

hammo
23rd May 2006, 02:57 PM
If Bolton and Ablett are under injury clouds then they should be rested to make sure they get over their niggles.

I also think there is merit in resting Willo and to a lesser extent MOL to sharpen them up (wuith MOL, though, he may need to kick a bag to get his confidence back).

I think we have enough depth at the club to safely do this without affecting team structures.

Although very un-Roos like, it would be great to blood some youngsters (Schmidt, Willoughby) at the G against an inexperienced opponent.

Let's face it, if we can't get over the Hawks with the likes of Jude, Goodesy and Baz in career best form then we are struggling.

msb
23rd May 2006, 03:07 PM

I still have recurring nightmares about when we were 30+ points ahead, and got massacred in the final quarter by the Roos a couple of years ago..

Either way, no let up from last week. And no mercy. We need the experience and to be mentally and physically prepared for the matches coming up. There is always room for improvement, and that is the what our boys expect demand from each other week in week out. :mad:

Geez you dont want much....just won by 118 last week and I would take a 26 point win over the doggies any day, especially in their current form.

liz
23rd May 2006, 03:21 PM

I don't believe there was a final quarter let-up. The Dogs scored more goals than us but they are a quality team that still had a small sniff of victory and they finished well. The Swans probably had control of the ball for a greater proportion of the quarter than the Dogs did, certainly had more inside 50s and had more scoring shots.

Snowy
23rd May 2006, 07:22 PM
Ritchie found guilty by the tribunal and will now miss four matches unless he appeals.

goswannie14
23rd May 2006, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by Snowy
Ritchie found guilty by the tribunal and will now miss four matches unless he appeals. They might as well appeal, what have they got to lose?

NMWBloods
23rd May 2006, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by goswannie14
They might as well appeal, what have they got to lose? Money!

573v30
23rd May 2006, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by NMWBloods
Money! Hey, it's not as if they're in Carlton's position at the moment.

ScottH
26th May 2006, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by Snowy
Ritchie found guilty by the tribunal and will now miss four matches unless he appeals. He did to no avail.

Ryan Bomford
26th May 2006, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by ScottH
He did to no avail.

I hope that this isn't the catalyst for the HAWKS to "Win one for Ritchie".

swantastic
26th May 2006, 09:08 PM
give the youngsters a go put the guns on the bench give em a little rest

cruiser
26th May 2006, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by Ryan Bomford
I hope that this isn't the catalyst for the HAWKS to "Win one for Ritchie". Do you really think that Hawthorn has any chance at all? (go for it NMW!)

swantastic
26th May 2006, 09:24 PM
hawks are a chance if swans play resies but even then im not so sure

NMWBloods
27th May 2006, 12:29 AM
Do you really think that Hawthorn has any chance at all? (go for it NMW!) I think we should belt them by 10 goals. However, I hope the players don't expect that as I've seen far too many upsets caused by this sort of thinking.

swantastic
27th May 2006, 01:01 AM
hope not .when was the last time swans won 5 in arow cant remember

NMWBloods
27th May 2006, 01:12 AM
Originally posted by swantastic
hope not .when was the last time swans won 5 in arow cant remember 2001, rd 14-18.

1998, rd 15-19 and rd 1-5.

1996, rd 9-16.

1987, rd 11-18.

1986, rd 13-17 and rd 1-6.

So four times under Eade, twice under Hafey, not yet under Roos.

Before 1986 it goes back to 1982, 1970, 1958, 1946, 1945.

swantastic
27th May 2006, 01:17 AM
nmw ur on the ball thought last year they would do it but couldnt but the so called experts say they r better this year we will c

Legs Akimbo
27th May 2006, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by swantastic
nmw ur on the ball thought last year they would do it but couldnt but the so called experts say they r better this year we will c

listN m8, DIS sms lngwij iz a bit (x). cn U pls TLK n quEnz eng

Sanecow
27th May 2006, 02:15 PM
Fairly typical example of the type of person that agrees with Ricky Boner.