PDA

View Full Version : Umpire mike

undy
10th June 2003, 02:14 PM
The guy I was sitting next to this week goes to a few League games at Stadium Australia (or whatever its called at the moment). He says that spectators can hire "rabbit ears" (his words) - headphones so that you can get the sound feed from the ref's mike.

This would be a bit harder for a Swans game (too many umpires) - I'm not sure whether any/all of them have microphones - sometimes it seems like it watching the TV coverage. It would be bloody interesting though.

Andy

desredandwhite
10th June 2003, 02:39 PM
I think they're "sports ears". I've used them a few times at league games and I reckon it's a great idea. Really gives you an insight into why decisions are given, you can work out what the officials are looking out for etc.

I've noticed the umps miced up on a few TV games too - IMHO they're a good thing. YMMV.

Sanecow
10th June 2003, 05:23 PM
It's fun to hear the players complaining about a decision too. Heard Leo tell the ump a decision was bull@@@@@ last week or the week before. The umps are impressively calm in the dealings I've heard! Hate 'em still though :p

Jon
10th June 2003, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by Sanecow
It's fun to hear the players complaining about a decision too.

I had a giggle during the Kangas Richmond game when King was being told off for the umpteenth time by the umpy and he just walked away saying "oh shut up!"

Made me wonder what the umpires pay a free for when they REALLY feel abused.

swansrock4eva
10th June 2003, 11:47 PM
I'm finding the strategically placed ground-level boom mics funnier - because they don't seem to have a delay between footage and airtime, they don't get to bleep out things such as one Brissie player's "@@@@@@@IN' MOVE!" on a kick-in when we were beating them!

j s
11th June 2003, 01:09 AM
Originally posted by desredandwhite
I think they're "sports ears". I've used them a few times at league games and I reckon it's a great idea. Really gives you an insight into why decisions are given, you can work out what the officials are looking out for etc.

I've noticed the umps miced up on a few TV games too - IMHO they're a good thing. YMMV.
Be even better though if they were two-way. Just imagine being able shout abuse (oops, I mean "offer constructive criticism") to the umpires and have them actually hear it through their earpiece.

Ganjaman
12th June 2003, 02:34 PM
LOL at j s.

What i have heard on the teev a couple of times was very interesting. It's all good.