PDA

View Full Version : final scores with a difference

Sid
10th June 2003, 02:58 PM
Damn its sad seeing the final scores in the SFL. The teams of the competition are so uneven. The score lines have such big differences. Theres not much we can do about it though.

Phil Doyle
10th June 2003, 09:10 PM
I don't know about that. Last year Campbelltown were getting belted from pillar to post. This year - albeit with the exception of the North Shore game - they have been more than competitive. Wests are another example of a side that went from wooden spooners to semi-finalists in a season (2001-2002).

One of the attractions of the SFL is the fact that, on any given day, any side can beat another. The standard certainly is rising. Many of the sides that will miss out on the finals this year would have beaten many premiership sides from the eighties/nineties.

Rafters
16th June 2003, 08:43 AM
One thing that I will definitely say about SFA footy this year is that it has been the most competitive throughout the comp for a long long time. Gone are the days of regular 200 point floggings in 3 matches each week. The traditional cellar dwellers & easy beat teams have been a real threat for 4 quarters every game & have recorded some impressive scalps. (eg Cronulla defeating Wolllongong, Parra & UNSW-ES). There have been alot of unpredictable results as positions 2 to 9 have a game separating them. Sydney Uni matches have been the only predictable ones this year - they have an outstanding side that would genuinely push top SFL teams.

Perhaps it has alot to do with a number of ex-SFL players (quality ones too that have played rep footy such as Stockdale, Barrett, Free, Freney, Bylsma, Fitzpatrick, Freddricksen) now playing in the SFA - as they prefer to play Saturday or even 18-a-side footy. The decision to play UNSW-ES reserves in the comp has definitely raised the comp up a notch or two.

How would the SFA rep side go against the SFL rep side? In an 18-a-side match, I'd reckon the result would be alot closer than most people think.